Old 08-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #1

38RD Dining Room Slide Under Belly

This question is for CC 38RD owners. I have been working with CC on a problem with the rubber swing arm mounted under the dinning room slide which carries the electrical wiring in and out as the slide moves. Here is the problem I am encountering and one other person I am aware of. Additionally CC has another customer having the same problem. When the slide room is in ready for travel the rubber swing arm sags on to the tire allowing the swing arm and electrical to drag on top of the wheel. The past three trips I have had to tie wrap the swing arm up so it does not rub on top of the tire. I believe the issue is that the swing arm is so long and heavy that over time it starts to sag in the middle when in for travel mode. I would like to hear from any other CC owners that may have this similar issue. I believe that this is an engineering issue and asked the CC manager to possibly discuss this with the engineers. I will not be at FROG rally but this would be a good item to discuss with other 38RD owners to see if they are having this issue. Since the 38RD line is less than one year old this problem may be just starting and folks not aware of this until something happens to the electrical.

Tom & Marilyn
2013 Chevrolet Duramax 3500 HD LTZ Crew Cab Long Bed Z71 4X4
2015 Cedar Creek 38RD Hathaway Edition

Old 10-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #2

We have the same problem - dealer has tried twice to fix but I still have to zip tie wiring harness up off the tires when we travel.
Seems pretty obivous that the rubber/vinyl support piece is not strong enough. When we gat back the dealer will deal with this once again along with a few other problems. We've been on the road since June 8th and will get home on Oct 12th. Have used several zip ties.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #3

I had been working with the factory and Jeff wants me to go to the dealer. I plan to fix myself since I have no confidence the dealer can fix. This is an engineering problem and CC needs to recognize this. I am going to look at connecting a spring tithe swing arm so that when it opens it will stretch then coward will retract. This is how my Keystone Everest worked and never had problems.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #4

Yes it is an engineering problem - was dealing with Henry Sears at Cedar Creek- on first day of this trip found the the aluminum bracket that holds one end of the support had fallen off. Figure my dealer didn't tighten the screws when they made their 2nd attempt to fix it. Henry had me stop at RV repair place in Salina Kansas - guy there replaced the bracket but couldn't keep support piece up off the tires without the zip ties. He's been working on RV's for 50 years and told me to tell the engineer responsible for this idea to get up from his desk and go look at an actual RV.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #5

Just sent Jeff Holmes at CC another message to see if he can get a message to the engineering or quality control folks instead of pushing us back to the dealer which will have no clue what to do other than replace with same that will fail again in 4 months.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:09 AM   #6

Cool Dining slide wire bundle hitting tire

The same problem is happening on my 38RD. We haven't been camping yet but, checked this when checking tire pressure and sure enough the tire has already rubbed some insulation off one of the power wires. Duck tape and zip tied for now until I can get it to a dealer to fix or the attaching a spring idea seems to be a good fix.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #7

Our dealer is working on ours now - they couldn't get any help from the factory.
They had a traveler stop in 2 weeks ago with same problem - they added a large spring and added a steel bar somehow to keep it off the tires. Will do same fix on ours. Will post pictures when we get it back.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #8

That is what I figured was going to happen on all 38rd's. Sure wish Jeff Holmes would have taken my advise and contacted the design engineers so they could figure out a solution. I know they count on the dealers but the dealer has no clue how to fix other than replace with same swing arm that is going to fail again. A permanent fix should be designed period.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:49 PM   #9

I just resent another message to Jeff Holmes at Cedar Creek requesting the engineers get involved since more and more 38RD owners are beginning to see this problem. I have also enlisted the help of Harold Dean the Cedar Creek owners club founder which meets periodically with the Leadership of CC. Maybe with more of us having the problem and being so new we can get their attention to get the engineers to come up with a new solution.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:33 PM   #10

Own a 2015 38RD same problem. The black plastic is doubled and I added more electrical ties. Taking the unit back to dealer for other issues and going to have them take a look

Tags
roo, slide