Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #41
nosaint3

hitches

have used hensley since 2006 at 300lbs weight and 20000lbs with two airbags.
love it. Fulltimer so I never attempt to take it out. over $3000
nosaint3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:59 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
Little John, we also have the Reese Goose Box and have grown to really like it. It is an approved hitch for CC trailers and replaces the pinbox on the front of the trailer.
How is chucking with the Goose Box compared with the 5th wheel hitches?

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:18 PM   #43

Sorry Joe, this is our first 5th wheel and therefore I don't have a reference for you.

I can say the ride pulling a 15K 5'r is very easy and stepping up from a TT has been a night and day difference.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:45 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
Sorry Joe, this is our first 5th wheel and therefore I don't have a reference for you.

I can say the ride pulling a 15K 5'r is very easy and stepping up from a TT has been a night and day difference.
Yup. Pulling a 5er is a lot better than a bumper pull. Some roads cause "chucking" which is the truck and 5er bouncing at a different frequency and feels like the truck and 5er are having a tug of war.

Good luck and safe travels with your new 5th wheel!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #45

Thanks to everyone for the great replies and info!
Rightly or wrongly just dropped off our truck and will be picking it up next week(Tuesday,if we don't get the snow they are talking about) with a Pullrite system!
Take care and be well!
LJ

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Past RV's: Misc.tents,V.W.Campers('65,'69) 2012 Arctic Fox 25S.
[B]Camping Day's: Never Enough
Little John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #46

Another vote for B&W.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little John View Post
Rightly or wrongly just dropped off our truck and will be picking it up next week(Tuesday,if we don't get the snow they are talking about) with a Pullrite system!
Take care and be well!
LJ

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
What I bought BEFORE I found out about B&W.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:17 AM   #48

Consider the PIN BOX. I have had 2 fifth wheels, cross all road conditions. One a standard pinbox; chucking, bouncing and stuff in rv jarring all over. New fifth wheel; 37ft, has best TRAIL AIR, with inflatable cushion. Thousands of miles. NOTHING MOVES. NOTHING. BOTH RV's using same Curt hitch and SAME TRUCK. Both rv's were similar in length and weight. Only switched fivers to a rear living for more long term stay comfort as retirees. Went FROM Keystone to FR.
DO RESEARCH ON YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS AND PLANS.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #49

Just installed.......ready to order TT:

BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:04 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little John View Post
The Pullrite is a solid hitch. Once I saw how it captures the pin I was sold. The only downside (more of an upside really in the big picture) is that it is built to tighter tolerances than other hitches (as in, an extra decimal place). That, combined with the way the pin is locked in with the rotating plate instead of the jaws, can lead to some frustrations for the first few couple/uncouple cycles. I had to give it a good bump to get it to lock on the first couple of trips. And to get it to unlock it is imperative to make sure you have pressure reversing against the hitch when you pull the handle. Basically, after you've dropped the landing gear and unloaded the weight off the truck, get back in and reverse against the trailer, set the parking brake, and then put it in park. The hitch will release easily with a finger tug. Try to unlock it with any load pulling on the rotating plate and it will not move. It can be frustrating at first, but when you consider that it just means there is less slop in the coupling it becomes a good thing.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #51

B&W turnover and Anderson Ultimate Aluminum II on top of a BedRug. No chucking...cleanest, quietest setup I have had to date. I have a short bed. My second choice would have involved the B&W companion and sidewinder pinbox. Quite pleased with the Anderson and it only weighs 32#

DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFarmer View Post
The Pullrite is a solid hitch. Once I saw how it captures the pin I was sold. The only downside (more of an upside really in the big picture) is that it is built to tighter tolerances than other hitches (as in, an extra decimal place). That, combined with the way the pin is locked in with the rotating plate instead of the jaws, can lead to some frustrations for the first few couple/uncouple cycles. I had to give it a good bump to get it to lock on the first couple of trips. And to get it to unlock it is imperative to make sure you have pressure reversing against the hitch when you pull the handle. Basically, after you've dropped the landing gear and unloaded the weight off the truck, get back in and reverse against the trailer, set the parking brake, and then put it in park. The hitch will release easily with a finger tug. Try to unlock it with any load pulling on the rotating plate and it will not move. It can be frustrating at first, but when you consider that it just means there is less slop in the coupling it becomes a good thing.
X2- You'll learn a few tricks over time. I can pull the four pins on mine and have a clean bed in about 5 minutes. I also found if you have to disconnect while angled beyond the proper angle you can pull a couple of pins and just lift the capture plate off the truck.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:23 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNCJ View Post
B&W turnover and Anderson Ultimate Aluminum II on top of a BedRug. No chucking...cleanest, quietest setup I have had to date. I have a short bed. My second choice would have involved the B&W companion and sidewinder pinbox. Quite pleased with the Anderson and it only weighs 32#

Question to DJNCJ.

I have the exact same set up and love it but everything you have looks different than my set up. Your Andersen Hitch is assembled in a different way and your B&W chain hooks are not next to the ball. I will attach picture to show the variations. My Andersen is one year old. B&W is 3 years old. What's up with the variations?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150419_154840.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	102492

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2336.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	102493

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:25 AM   #54
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Andersen just modified their design and its now the Andersen Ultimate Aluminum II. After a few thousand shipped there were a few incidents where the driver had to slam hard on his brakes to avoid an accident and this caused a slight bend on the forward support poles. I was one of those incidents. Important to note is that the hitch did NOT fail, just a slight bend. I used the hitch for about 3000 more miles towing before I got around to reporting it. It was towing just fine but Andersen still wanted to replace it for free and they prepaid the return ship on my old one. I think its a good thing when designs evolve and improve. The one I have now is still the original design and I see no reason to be concerned.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:49 PM   #55

[QUOTE=Jack350;1137077]Question to DJNCJ.

I have the exact same set up and love it but everything you have looks different than my set up. Your Andersen Hitch is assembled in a different way and your B&W chain hooks are not next to the ball. I will attach picture to show the variations. My Andersen is one year old. B&W is 3 years old. What's up with the variations?

To add... I think the safety chain location is likely due the the different design needed for Ford vs. Ram??
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Andersen just modified their design and its now the Andersen Ultimate Aluminum II. After a few thousand shipped there were a few incidents where the driver had to slam hard on his brakes to avoid an accident and this caused a slight bend on the forward support poles. I was one of those incidents. Important to note is that the hitch did NOT fail, just a slight bend. I used the hitch for about 3000 more miles towing before I got around to reporting it. It was towing just fine but Andersen still wanted to replace it for free and they prepaid the return ship on my old one. I think its a good thing when designs evolve and improve. The one I have now is still the original design and I see no reason to be concerned.
I had to re-read this a couple of times to make sure I understood it correctly. The hitch structure physically permanently deformed from a hard stop without impact? And this is with a trailer significantly lighter than the hitch's 24k "rating"? Ho-lee-smokes! Even if it walked itself in and out of my truck bed I wouldn't want that between my kids and the camper!

No reason to be concerned? That hitch gets its strength from triangulation, and the triangle failed. You had no idea how much or little stress would have pushed it past the breaking point. Or what would have happend had there actually been an impact. That's scary stuff. I'm guessing no J2638 sticker on those hitches?
Old 03-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #57

The hitch bent.... That's a fail in my books!!

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-21-2016, 09:31 PM   #58

I don't think I would want that hitch myself. I have been towing fifth wheel trailers, since 1977 when I bought my first one. I have had four different Hitch's, and have never had one bend, in any way. I now have a B&W Companion type hitch, and I like it the best of any of the hitch's I have had, it is easy to take out of the truck, and leaves nothing on the bed of the truck. I have had a lot of panic stops and I have taken the trailers off road, with no problems. The trailer I have now is a 36' toyhauler that weighs 18,000 loaded. I have pulled 30.000lb 5ers with the B&W.
Ditchdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:42 PM   #59
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Please do not add unintended interpretations. The bend I experienced could almost be considered cosmetic. The hitch continued to perform well even after. If I were to post pictures you wouldnt even be able to tell. In anycase it appears to be a moot point since improvements in the latest design as well as enhancements to the material strength (not visible but confirmed by Andersen) have eliminated the risk of even the small distortion I experienced. The Andersen is a great product and one I continue to use and recommend. As usual, those that oppose still do not own.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:08 AM   #60

Replace the pinbox with a Reese Goosebox and there is nothing in the bed except for the hitchball, which can also easily be removed and only weighs 5-10 pounds. I have only experienced one fast brakin-slowdown combined with a quick maneuver when a rather large vehicle wanted to occupy my lane at the same time I was there. The truck/trailer performed as they were intended.
I stopped and inspected everything and all was just fine. I continue to be impressed with the turnoverball-Goosebox setup. And it's the softess pulling fiver hitch I've ever used. Install is uncomplicated, and easy, but is even easier with two people. I have a buddy with a 17,000 lb toy hauler. After looking at mine, he ordered the 20k Goosebox. I helped him install it. He absolutely loves his new hitch setup, and often remarks about how comfortable his toy hauler is to tow now.
For anyone looking for a new fiver hitch, at least check out the Reese Goosebox.

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel