Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #1

5th Wheel Storage Compartment Gaps/Openings

We just got our new 35IK with the six point level up system. I noticed while putting things in the front compartment, there are rather wide open spaces around each of the hydraulic landing jacks exposed to the outside. This looks like it would allow significant road grime and moisture, not to mention un-welcome critters into the front compartment. I am considering using some leftover sponge foam mattress topper material folded up in a gallon ziplock bag and stuffing next to the jack cylinder opening from inside the compartment to seal this off.
Also the propane compartment has numerous openings in the bottom tray and around the side corners of the tanks to allow for venting. We have mud daubers & paper wasps all over the gulf coast areas. It looks like it could use some window screen covering these openings.
Anyone else experience these in their CC fifth wheels and if so, I would be interested in how did you remedy this? I am surprised for the money spent that Forest River did not take care of this on the assembly line.
daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #2

I have never had a problem with wasps in the compartment that the propane tanks sit in, I guess a paper wasp could build a nest there. I have more trouble with ants. I had some trouble with mud dabblers in my a/c one time

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
Site Team

I've never had any problems with wasps or mud daubers building in the propane compartments. And we have them build everywhere.

I have thought about using some Chore Boy pads around the landing gear posts, but I'm not sure it's necessary, because almost all the RV's have the same openings around them, and you don't hear any complaints.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #4

It's not unusual to have a lot of gaps in the very front compartment, and of course, the propane compartments are open to the elements. We travel on the east coast and haven't had any problems with wasps or other bugs in those compartments.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #5

Thanks!

Thank you all for you prompt reply.
daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #6

We actually traced the source of a rodent problem to the open space around our landing gear. I had some 1/8" plastic strips that I used to fill in the openings. No problems since then.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #7

Holes and Rodents

Got to plug all holes, Red Squirrels/mice can ruin a TT in one season. Propane tanks usually are in a compartment with only the bottom open (propane is heavier than air) with holes for hoses sealed with expanding foam (Great Stuff). Be careful around landing/leveling jacks, only seal around the part that doesn't move. One of my friends had to have the round flexible ducts replaced because a squirrel ate through them. Enough said.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #8

Our CC has "black" foam--very hard material--filling all the area around the front jacks....
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:00 AM   #9

Foam! Foam! Foam!!!

You really need to fill every nook and cranny, any opening with spray foam (Great Stuff Pest GREAT STUFF? Pestblock Insulating Foam Sealant) you will get all kinds of little pests inside through those openings. We had mice get inside in AZ and in CO. Best to do preventive measures before hand.
CinLarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:05 PM   #10

I've had squirrels in my propane cabinet. Used steel mesh in the bottom and put the tanks back in.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:13 AM   #11

Big problem for us. We have been trying to find out where the mice come in. Even have a game camera under the a trailer. I have sealed up every spot I could find. We have blocked and screened all areas. They even got into the AC during the winter. Disappointed in the lack of closure in the CC

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Arc of the Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:11 AM   #12

Best success I've had is bait. They eat, they leave, they die, they don't come back. Eventually you'll get them all in a given neighborhood. Best of all is you don't screw with your rig
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, storage, wheel