Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #1

5th wheel tiedowns

Hi,
We have a 2012 29RE. I'd like to secure it while we are away for a few months.
My plan is to use a few auger like screws into the ground and use chain with turn buckles. Turn buckles appear to be rated for capacity in pounds. I'm not sure how the auger like screws are rated or what is an appropriate load to anticipate.
Any suggestions or expeience doing this?

thanks
Old 03-26-2016, 09:12 AM   #2

Are you trying to keep it from being stolen or from high winds? Wear on the trailer are you going to attach the cable? I would think if the wind is high enough to move a fifth wheel some screws in the ground are not going to do much.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #3

Assuming that you want to protect from high winds, the ground augers will definitely help. Straight line winds directly against the side of the trailer might flip it over, but it would take a high wind, probably approaching hurricane force winds....65mph or higher.
The challenge will be finding a place on the frame to make a solid connection. At the rear, maybe a cable around the frame extension for the bumper. The front would be more of a challenge, but not impossible. But tying the trailer to 4 good augers at each corner would definitely help. When you tighten the turnbuckles, be careful to not over tighten. Snug tight should be adequate.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #4

3/8 or bigger steel cable over the top od the spring plates, both sides.

One could use the hitch head attached to the pin as another anchor point.

Solid skirting would help to keep the wind from getting under the trailer.

I would dig some big holes and fill them in with cement with I-bolt anchors imbedded for tie down points.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #5

WIND has been vicious this year in Kansas. We've had over 58 mph gusts for many days and I've not heard of any campers in my area turned over. I'd suggest parking it nose to tail inline with the prevailing winds, pull the slides in, and just leave all your jacks and stabilizers down. I imagine if your fiver is in winds strong enought to blow it over, you'll have way more things to worry about like other items in the area embedded in your fiver. If you are dead set on it ... just go look at a mobile home in a mobile home park and mimic what is done to tie them down.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Assuming that you want to protect from high winds, the ground augers will definitely help. Straight line winds directly against the side of the trailer might flip it over, but it would take a high wind, probably approaching hurricane force winds....65mph or higher.
The challenge will be finding a place on the frame to make a solid connection. At the rear, maybe a cable around the frame extension for the bumper. The front would be more of a challenge, but not impossible. But tying the trailer to 4 good augers at each corner would definitely help. When you tighten the turnbuckles, be careful to not over tighten. Snug tight should be adequate.
Hello again,
Thanks for the replies. Sure, I can do four augers. Turnbuckles too. However I don't know how strong they should be. The auger maybe the weakest link. I don't see any pound rating for them. If the winds blow againgst the side say - - How man ypounds of force will it take to pull then out?
Old 03-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfmCt View Post
Hello again,
Thanks for the replies. Sure, I can do four augers. Turnbuckles too. However I don't know how strong they should be. The auger maybe the weakest link. I don't see any pound rating for them. If the winds blow againgst the side say - - How man ypounds of force will it take to pull then out?

There are a number of variables. First, put your tie down points as close to the 4 corners as possible. Second, use at least 1/4" or 5/16" cable with matching cable clamps(2 clamps minimum at each loop), Third, use galvanized steel turnbuckles. The aluminum ones are great for laundry wire. Lastly, I don't know the answer to your auger question, because the answer depends on the diameter of the auger blades, how many complete blade loops, material they are made from, how deep are they placed in the soil, AND, what type of soil. Loose sugar sand, go deeeeep. If you can get them into clay, they will hold a lot. Purchase 4 mobile home anchors, get them into clay soil, and I doubt that would be your weak link. Hope that helps.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:05 PM   #8

Since you are going to be away can you just park it very close to the side of your house or another building on your property? Let that building be your wind break in one direction and keep it from flipping over in the other. Do you have a usual prevailing wind direction in Kansas? Use that as your guide...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:17 PM   #9

We use these for deer stands that are about 4X6 floors, and between 12-20 feet in the air to the top.

Mobile home Anchors/tie down equipment

Of course, we just use one, in the middle, with cables going halfway up to each of the four corners. That won't work exactly for a TT, but these are made to hold mobile homes down. IF you can find a place to attach........with cables and turnbuckles I'd imagine.

Something else I've used, and which MIGHT work for TT (??) is to take a 4 foot 3/4" rebar........and bend it at the top into an "L" shape with an acetylene torch, leaving about 2 feet of straight length. Drive into the ground with a sledgehammer. Chain to object to be held. (Just make sure they are not in the drive path!)

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel