Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #1

6 point level up

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to leave all 6 jacks in the down position during winter storage?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
KKranec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKranec View Post
I'm wondering if it's a good idea to leave all 6 jacks in the down position during winter storage?...
Probably not. LCI recommends that you coat the exposed jack with silicone on a weekly basis if you do. Allowing the smooth surface to be subjected to harsh wx conditions without protection is probably not a good plan. Most folks block the front landing gear so as to minimize the exposed area. I have also seen folks use a garbage bag over the gear before lowering them on the blocks then duct taping the top around the jack housing.

Of course, everything is dependent on where this "Winter" storage is located.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:15 PM   #3

Thanks guys. I was wondering about this myself. Right now the RV is at the dealers but whenever I collect it, it will be going straight into storage. From what you've said, I'll retract the rear legs and cover the front ones with garbage bags.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
With a F350 dually
2014 41 nights and 4620km.......and we're done

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Probably not. LCI recommends that you coat the exposed jack with silicone on a weekly basis if you do. Allowing the smooth surface to be subjected to harsh wx conditions without protection is probably not a good plan. Most folks block the front landing gear so as to minimize the exposed area. I have also seen folks use a garbage bag over the gear before lowering them on the blocks then duct taping the top around the jack housing.

Of course, everything is dependent on where this "Winter" storage is located.
That's a good idea, never thought of that. Sure would stop any pitting and dried out seals.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #5

I store mine at the house, so I level it up with the system and wipe the legs down about once a month. Since it is parked under a shed the silicone spray I use stays on for awhile.
Think it helps not to have all that weight on the tires for long storage time. Just my two cents
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #6

I would not wrap them in plastic - condensation will cause significantly more problems than leaving them exposed.

Our rig sits on the side of our house - we are the corner house and the side the rig sits on is parallel to the road. I was concerned about rust/corrosion from salt used to treat the roads (road spray and such).

Just before it is time to set it for the winter, I hook to the truck and use the rear jacks to lift the rig slightly. I then stack the front landing jack blocks with wood high enough so there is only an inch or two exposed jack in the front when it is just slightly nose high once removed from the truck.

I then use WD40 to spray the exposed parts once a month. This year I had the truck treated (underbody) with a chemical called Fluid Film and bought a small spray can and will treat them with that this year. It will need to be cleaned off but it should last most (if not all) of the winter, instead of trying to remember to spray them each month.

I have thought about several possible ideas including wrapping them with pipe insulation, plastic, etc and always come back to just spray with WD40 to keep them clean. (and that has worked so far). I did think about building an wooden u-shaped box to put on the one side that is exposed to the street, sort of like a guard to minimize splash to the landing gear.

Only the front 2 landing gear are down all winter. I would prefer all 6 being down in a warmer location but that won't happen this year.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #7

so would wd40 work instead of silicon for the exposed legs?
stormy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #8

Seems to work so far
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #9

good to know thanks.
stormy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy2000 View Post
so would wd40 work instead of silicon for the exposed legs?
That is really what they recommend to use in there manual. Once a week in non salt environments, or every 3 days in a salty one like on the beach or something. Or snow area'a with salt used for roads.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Farmers have used just plain old lubrication grease from a grease gun on hyd. cylinders for years and years with no ill effects. When they retract them in the spring, the seals wipe the shafts and all you have to do is wipe the excess grease removed by the seals. Wrapping them with plastic bags is a good way to increase the chance of rust.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #12
Certified Curmudgeon

Here is a link to the Lippert Level-Up Operation and Service Manual.
http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...nersmanual.pdf
Scroll down to the chapter on Preventative Maintenance Procedures.
See where it reads that you should use Silicone on the Jacks.
For those who think is reads that you should use WD-40 on the Jacks you might want to re-read it.
For discussion purposes, WD-40 will certainly help prevent corrosion/pitting on the aluminum Jacks. So will cosmoline. The problem is that WD-40 is not good for the bottom seal due to its composition. So for those using WD-40, you will probably not have leaks from pitting. The leaks will be from a deteriorated seal.
Time will tell.

38FLCamper brings up a good point about condensation if you wrap the gear in plastic. I should have been clearer. I did not SEAL the bags. There was plenty of ventilation to prevent condensation. The bags only prevented blowing sand, ice pellets, snow and other airborne debris from beating against the exposed aluminum. Thanks for bringing that up.