Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #21

I had the same tight-space issue. I was going to get a turkey baster, but found a large barrel syringe works perfectly. It is cheap, easy to fill, I know its clean and it fits into the handle of my distilled water gallon jug - this way I always have it handy. I use a drummer throne to sit at the right height (had it in the garage from my kids old drum set) and with a good flash light, I can see the level of all 12 golf cart cells. Mine were wired as two 12 volt pairs in parallel. All are drained and charged as a group. I fill to about 1/4 of an inch bellow the vent caps.

2012 GMC 3500 Duramax Crew Cab, SuperGlide 20k
2014 Cedar Creek 36B4, LP Onan, Level-Up, Trail-Air pin, electric fridge
Campwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post

I don't think the two pairs that are wired in series are then paralleled to to increase capacity. One pair is for the house system and the other pair should be dedicated to the inverter to power the fridge... I also noted that the newer 36 CKTS have a different inverter in a different location than my late model 2012.
How would the inverter pair get charged? There is no isolator and the inverter isn't a charger. They are supposed to be all connected together as one big 12v battery.
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker UMS 21K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #23
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlatter View Post

How would the inverter pair get charged? There is no isolator and the inverter isn't a charger. They are supposed to be all connected together as one big 12v battery.
That's a good question. I was under the impression that they charge through the converter as a pair just like the other two.
When we finish emptying out the garage I will pull back the plastic panel and take a look. The cables from my batteries do not go direct. They go to a junction terminal where there is also a fusible link. The more I look at the electrical system the more I am convinced that anything is possible. I have looked at two other supposedly identical units and they are very far from identical.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #24

If you could take a picture, that would be good too. I think part of the problem is that the batteries are installed by the dealer, and not the manufacturer, so there is a little artistic license being employed in some cases. I can say that I have my four connected in P/S so that it acts like one big 12V battery, and everything works great. In addition to that, I have an additional large pure sine wave inverter/charger connected, and the standard converter disconnected, but that's a story for a different thread.

On the topic of this thread, I have been looking at different filling solutions as well and I think I've decided on the Aquapro watering kit, made in Germany. It has a single fill line for all 12 cells.
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Old 08-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
On my 36CKTS I have 4 6 volt batteries. I am looking to top them off but I am very limited with space because there is a shelf where the inverter sits. I was looking at a Pro Fill watering system at CW and it looks like I will need 2 sets because I have 4 batteries. Has anybody used this system or any other ideas.
Thanks, Mike
Ouch!!! That's over 400lbs of extra hitch pin weight according to my memory of those monsters! Hope you aren't close on your truck's rear axle/tire capacity....
greysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #26

I also have 4 of the 6v batteries in my 37RDQS. I installed the CW watering system (purchased two kits) and have used it that way for over 5 years. Never had an overfill, spillage, or anything else. So far, works great and no dead batter issues!

John
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #27

I tried filling with a turkey baster and mirror and it was a pain so I ordered 2 kits from CW today.
Thanks Mike
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #28
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
On my 36CKTS I have 4 6 volt batteries. I am looking to top them off but I am very limited with space because there is a shelf where the inverter sits. I was looking at a Pro Fill watering system at CW and it looks like I will need 2 sets because I have 4 batteries. Has anybody used this system or any other ideas.
Thanks, Mike
I too have the 36CKTS with 4 6 volt batts. I pitched up an oil transfer hand pump at Napa for less that $10. It screws to a 1 gallon jug of dr stilled water and using a mirror I do not have a problem servicing batterys. CW will over charge or limit your choices in order to help their bottom line. Look around and you might be amazed at what else might work. Although not ideal, my pump works well with minimal wallet impact over a specialized solution.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #29

I have a 38 fl and I just moved my batteries . so I could check the water in them .cc jammed them in so I could not get to 3 of the 4 batteries. inverter is on top of the shelve .I have 4- 6 volt batteries. now have to hook them back up.
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #30
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
If you could take a picture, that would be good too. I think part of the problem is that the batteries are installed by the dealer, and not the manufacturer, so there is a little artistic license being employed..,
I finally got in there:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2057553557.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	42369   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1838932703.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	42370   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1382457442.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	42371  
Old 11-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #31

You can see that the two pairs are wired together. The closest black wire going from one pair to the other, and the red wire with the black tape joining the hot side. It's wired essentially the same as the diagram I posted earlier. Oh, you're not in the Hilton Head resort and marina are you? There's a rig here that looks like the picture of yours.
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Old 11-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #32
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
I too have a CC w/ 4 6 volt batteries. I use a mechanic's inspection mirror to see the fluid level in each cell & an $8 oil transfer pump from Napa that screws onto a gallon jug of distiller water to service. Works for me.

Travel safe & enjoy
Old 11-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #33
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
I don't think the two pairs that are wired in series are then paralleled to to increase capacity. One pair is for the house system and the other pair should be dedicated to the inverter to power the fridge... I also noted that the newer 36 CKTS have a different inverter in a different location than my late model 2012.
You'd better check that cause it sure looks like the 2 series set are wired in parallel
Old 11-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #34
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Oh, you're not in the Hilton Head resort and marina are you? There's a rig here that looks like the picture of yours.
Not us but we spent the Summer up your way 1/2 in Cape Breton and the other half on PEI. Loved it!

I did look at your diagram and agree. Did you notice the red lead going from a pair of batts directly to the inverter? That's what caused the second take and why I posted the pics for you. Thanks.

Tags
battery