Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #1

A New Problem for me on moving a destination trailer and need an answer please

I have a 2014 Cedar Creek Destination Trailer and have been living in it at an RV park since it was delivered and since my husband died in 2014. I want to purchase a small house and need to sell my trailer. The RV park owner said it is a park model and will have to leave when it sells. In other words, whoever I sell to has to remove it. When I had wood flooring put in the living room it was put in with the idea the slides would not come in. Also there is hard foam in the slider mechanisms beneath to keep the mice out. And there is also a well built nearly full length front deck with stairs in front and a ramp in the back.
Lots to take apart to move.

So my big question is how do I convince the hard headed owner that I have a travel trailer that says so on the registration paper? I want to sell it and not have it moved. If there is no solution I will accept that.
Thank you!!
Judy Wms. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Wms. View Post
I have a 2014 Cedar Creek Destination Trailer and have been living in it at an RV park since it was delivered and since my husband died in 2014. I want to purchase a small house and need to sell my trailer. The RV park owner said it is a park model and will have to leave when it sells. In other words, whoever I sell to has to remove it. When I had wood flooring put in the living room it was put in with the idea the slides would not come in. Also there is hard foam in the slider mechanisms beneath to keep the mice out. And there is also a well built nearly full length front deck with stairs in front and a ramp in the back.
Lots to take apart to move.

So my big question is how do I convince the hard headed owner that I have a travel trailer that says so on the registration paper? I want to sell it and not have it moved. If there is no solution I will accept that.
Thank you!!
Have you explained to the RV park owner what you have had done to your trailer, and why moving it would be difficult? It seems to me that if he is in the business of renting spaces, and any potential buyer would either have to move it or rent the lot that it is sitting on, the owner might just see that as a "bird in the hand". Even if he chose to raise the rent, he basically has a captive renter.

On the other hand, the owner may think (probably rightfully so) that he can generate more revenue with that site by renting it on a daily basis rather than to a full-time resident.

One final thought. Maybe the owner of the park would like to buy it himself, and rent it out as a hotel suite, like some campgrounds I have seen.

Good luck with getting the trailer sold and your home bought.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:22 PM   #3

One of the problems with "permanent " RVs in my area is , when it is not mobile it can become " Real Property " and become subject to county, city taxes much like a home where the property owner , RV park ,is responsible for these taxes . In some counties/cities in Florida RV park owner will not allow the sale of the RV unless it is removed . The key word is recreational VEHICLE .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:35 AM   #4
Site Team

I would start by asking the site owner why it has to be moved. There may be some underlying reason it has to be moved if it's sold. It could be something like WanderingBob mentioned.

The only thing I see that could be a problem is the flooring, and even that could be removed if needed. Are you sure that the slide won't retract over the flooring?
Old 11-21-2019, 10:58 AM   #5
Site Team

Anything done can usually be undone regarding the floors and the deck. Although as suggested above, I would talk to the park owner and find out what the reasoning behind needing it be moved is.

Every CG I've ever been to has had seasonal sites bought and sold where the new owners simply take over the site and keep the trailer/deck/landscaping/etc... all as is.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
D W

I'd venture to guess that the owner of the park may have a "waiting list" for seasonal sites.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
Have you explained to the RV park owner what you have had done to your trailer, and why moving it would be difficult? It seems to me that if he is in the business of renting spaces, and any potential buyer would either have to move it or rent the lot that it is sitting on, the owner might just see that as a "bird in the hand". Even if he chose to raise the rent, he basically has a captive renter.

On the other hand, the owner may think (probably rightfully so) that he can generate more revenue with that site by renting it on a daily basis rather than to a full-time resident.
For Judy...

I agree, I think you need to talk to the owner to find what the real concern is. From there, you can formulate a plan for how to approach it.

It seems weird to me that he would get hung up on the difference between a "park model" vs. "travel trailer". In different vernacular, your destination trailer could be either. By putting the flooring in how you did and the other changes you've mentioned, you definitely have made it more permanent like a "park model". But I'd still want to try and figure out what the owner's concerns are and then you can start to address/massage them.

I hope it works out for you!
Old 11-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #8
Retired Old Fart

Also look at the lease you currently have for the site. It may have language one way or the other. Written lease would override what he says if there is a clause in your favor. Also look to see if there is anything in the site lease that prevents you from sub-leasing it. That may be an option if it is not prohibited. If you can't sell it outright, rent it on site "as is". Just a thought....
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I'd venture to guess that the owner of the park may have a "waiting list" for seasonal sites.
that's what I was thinking.
an alternative would be to see if someone in the park wants to upgrade from a smaller trailer to yours.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #10

I would guess the root of the problem comes from the fact that when you sell it, you cannot dictate by law whom you sell it to...where the RV park owner as leeway to groups and/or persons he rents space to through restrictions he places in his park bylaws and rules.

A person outside the guidelines purchases it and then the park owner has a huge issue and expense in legally getting rid of the new owner. Unfortunately I see removing part of the floors and bringing in slides in your future. Destination RVs are nice; but few are purchased each year.
Lake5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:13 PM   #11

BMac

Many parks have an age limitation on trailers. Ours is 10 years. You can stay longer but you can't transfer title. You also can't bring in a trailer over 10 years.
bbbymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #12

I too must have a travel trailer and not a park model at my lot in Florida. I was told this for the mobility when a storm alert comes out. It was explained to me that my Cedar Creek Cottage is a travel trailer because it has holding tanks where a park model does not. I don't know if this true but I do know that my Cottage is classified as a travel trailer and I am one of ten in my RV park.
beanerwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanerwi View Post
I too must have a travel trailer and not a park model at my lot in Florida. I was told this for the mobility when a storm alert comes out. It was explained to me that my Cedar Creek Cottage is a travel trailer because it has holding tanks where a park model does not. I don't know if this true but I do know that my Cottage is classified as a travel trailer and I am one of ten in my RV park.
There's a difference between travel trailers, destination trailers and park models .

Your Cottage is probably a destination trailer.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:41 PM   #14
Pockets

We are all speculating here. I'm speculating that the owner has you over the barrel. You can't sell it, cause the new owner is going to have to move it. So it has to stay. You can't sell it and you don't want it anymore, so he will take it off your hands for free and he will probably sell it pocketing the cash and having a new tenet.
3.5L Ecoboost, 3:73 axle, Max Tow Pkg 2015(36 nights) 2016(74 nights) 2017(174 nights) 2018(157 nights) 2019(79 nights) 2020(108 nights)
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
You can't sell it and you don't want it anymore, so he will take it off your hands for free and he will probably sell it pocketing the cash and having a new tenet.
I'd rip up some flooring before I gave away a trailer for free!
Old 11-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #16

List it for sale with the stated stipulations or issues. Somebody will buy it and move it. Mobile Homes get torn down and moved everyday. Not a big deal for somebody that knows what they're doing. Of course the salability largely depends on the overall condition of the unit.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
List it for sale with the stated stipulations or issues. Somebody will buy it and move it. Mobile Homes get torn down and moved everyday. Not a big deal for somebody that knows what they're doing. Of course the salability largely depends on the overall condition of the unit.
OP likely owns a destination trailer, not a mobile home. Big difference.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:35 PM   #18
Kasual Kamper

I'd be interested in the OP's response to the comments made and questions asked.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:40 PM   #19

Concerning my Cedar Creek Cottage......

Just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my request. The opinion of everyone here in this park is that the owner is just plain cantankerous and has different rules for different people. She did finally agree that I was right concerning the original paper I signed but couldn't tell me that she was wrong so said that she "grandfathered" me in so that I could sell my trailer. Then she said that she might make the new owner move to a different site, which makes no sense at all of course, since they will be paying more anyway. But I think I've found a wonderful couple to buy it and am praying everything will work out
Judy Wms. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:23 PM   #20
Site Team

Thanks for updating us. Hopefully everything will work out and the new owners can stay right where the unit is.