Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2019, 08:05 PM   #21

That crease has been thought about as much as the trailer. I’m so torqued. It was the Wal Mart from Hell south of Naples.

Anyway, it’s all worked out headed home Friday. Lord willing I will be at Orvan’s Tuesday.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:16 PM   #22

Safe travels home and then onto Topeka.
btw... I just got an email that our new 2019 Ram 3500 is arriving at the dealership in the morning
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre View Post
Safe travels home and then onto Topeka.
btw... I just got an email that our new 2019 Ram 3500 is arriving at the dealership in the morning
But we are also leaving first thing in the morning for Indy to visit our kids, so we will be taking our old Sabre pulled by our old Ram.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:20 PM   #24

Quote:
But we are also leaving first thing in the morning for Indy to visit our kids, so we will be taking our old Sabre pulled by our old Ram.
And won't get the new truck for another week.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
That crease has been thought about as much as the trailer. I’m so torqued. It was the Wal Mart from Hell south of Naples.

Anyway, it’s all worked out headed home Friday. Lord willing I will be at Orvan’s Tuesday.

A lot of new Walmart’s parking lots are being made to keep trucks and RV’s out. Walmart’s own trucks have a hard time getting in
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #26

WOW, Mike, so sorry to hear about that mishap. I know how much pride you had with that new CC.

I sure hope the driver had a lot of remorse over his stupidity....and good insurance.

I think the Walmart move is their way, without saying it, that RVers are no longer welcome.

Best of Luck, and as was mentioned, keep us posted.

Mike
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #27

Well here’s the final trip report. I’ll start w the easy stuff. The truck, 2018 HO Crew Cab, SBed 3500 Ram Bighorn. It performed extremely well. 11.4 mpg for nearly 2100 miles. Set in tow haul with 6th gear locked out, it ran at 67 mph mostly on cruise control with just a few shifts to 4th gear. Honestly cruise control for the first time was as good as my foot. Transmission never got over 163 degrees F. The new fuel tank just was amazing. Love it and a great investment.

The trailer weighed 13900 before the final load up and I can’t imagine it weighing more than 14500 lbs. Maybe 2900lbs on the pin, but because of the fuel tank near it’s GVWR.

It handles anything the road threw at it, very poised and convinced me I don’t need air bags but I will need to keep and eye on the shocks as it gets older.The braking is just great, I just barely keep my foot on the brake and it downshifts aggressively and the exhaust brake brings the whole thing to stop not even hardly using the truck or Creek brakes.

Over all I can’t be more pleased.

Most of you know I got hit in the Keys Palm Campground because a nice lady left her truck in drive. I’m glad no one was hurt and I hold them both no ill will. It has cramped my style camping and I’m missing my 6 day trip to Hocking hills over Memorial Day. Kind sad really.

I dropped the trailer off at Orvan’s yesterday toured their shop got a punch list done for the repair and also went over all the warranty work with Orvan I could think of. I also am having some of his enhancements done. Wow he exudes confidence to get it done right. Looks like the brunt force of the truck was sucked up by the rear slide report, no fiberglass damage but the skirting and the mechanism needs replaced plus normal safety checks and looking at everything underneath. I spent lots of time under before dropping out and nothing structural is visually bent. We are shooting for mid June to pick it up.

Hopefully I can have it ready for our 4th of July trip.

I’m not going to add airbags now, I may go with a different pin box although chucking was not an issue except on some crazy washboard roads in Ohio and KY.

This trip was expensive and but an adventure. I had to stop on the freeway to remove the black tank holder that was falling off west of Miami. The screws on the one side must of not been big enough. But I had ample space and the traffic was only moving 3 mph.

Hit a massive swarm of love bugs around Orlando and my truck and the front of the camper were black.

Met some Creekers on this forum coming home and they had good advice. I felt like a newbie at this campground, half hooked up my black tank wrong and had a spillthat I had to clean up. Ridiculous.

I got out of sorts w those love bugs. Wet bounce sheets was the answer to removal both truck and trailer.

Plus the Wal Mart from Hades and a leak in a not supposed to leak place. But I met a lot of nice people along the way.

Every campground I met someone who has just or just a short time ago went full time. Wow.

The Keys were nicer than I expected and I do expect to be there next year again for a longer period. Keys Palms Resort is gorgeous.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3571.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	204126

Any questions, please ask.

Peace

MikeClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3581.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	204119 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3452.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	428.7 KB
ID:	204125
Old 05-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #28

A so far trip report.

Also the Westlake tires did well. On the hit Florida pavement, they ran at 125 psi and like 99 degrees F. Hit 100 a few times, they were consistent and seemed to carry the trailer well.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #29

Been to Delaware, Ohio at the Fort. We are originally from Ohio but moved to Michigan 30 years ago. We love Hocking Hills!!! We also love the Amish towns in Ohio, Sugarcreek, Millersburg, etc.

Sorry to hear about your camping trip. We had bad first camping episode this past Monday. Our 1st trip with brand new camper. Our truck half-way to campground had issues. We turned around and went home. We blew an injector and found it is covered under warranty. We are getting it fixed and buying a different truck.

TT: Purchased @2/1/19 Wildwood X Lite 230BHXL
Irobutterfly59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:39 PM   #30

Yeah we love Amish country in Ohio also. Been there on many enjoyable trips. Sorry to hear about your truck. What year is it?
Old 05-08-2019, 11:40 PM   #31

Also I had the mileage wrong. It was over 3500 miles for the trip and going to Elkhart In.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:10 AM   #32

Thanks for the comprehensive report... Especially in light of your mishap. I'm not sure I'd be able to focus on sharing info like you did.

Could you explain about the black tank hanger problem. Also, what other improvements are Orvan doing.

Things are moving along on our upgrade. We're picking up the new Ram 3500 next Monday and the 34IK is offline and should be here in a week or 2. Hoping it will be here in time to take to the Amish Ohio and Positively Petrolia Rallies.

I really appreciate all of your updates before and during your trip and hope you can get back on the road soon
Old 05-09-2019, 07:11 AM   #33

It's a 2015 RAM 1500 ECO DIESEL CREW CAB W/TOW PKG. Only 70,000 miles on it.

We hope to get down to Ohio for camping this season.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:14 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
Well here’s the final trip report. I’ll start w the easy stuff. The truck, 2018 HO Crew Cab, SBed 3500 Ram Bighorn. It performed extremely well. 11.4 mpg for nearly 2100 miles. Set in tow haul with 6th gear locked out, it ran at 67 mph mostly on cruise control with just a few shifts to 4th gear. Honestly cruise control for the first time was as good as my foot. Transmission never got over 163 degrees F. The new fuel tank just was amazing. Love it and a great investment.

The trailer weighed 13900 before the final load up and I can’t imagine it weighing more than 14500 lbs. Maybe 2900lbs on the pin, but because of the fuel tank near it’s GVWR.

It handles anything the road threw at it, very poised and convinced me I don’t need air bags but I will need to keep and eye on the shocks as it gets older.The braking is just great, I just barely keep my foot on the brake and it downshifts aggressively and the exhaust brake brings the whole thing to stop not even hardly using the truck or Creek brakes.

Over all I can’t be more pleased.

Most of you know I got hit in the Keys Palm Campground because a nice lady left her truck in drive. I’m glad no one was hurt and I hold them both no ill will. It has cramped my style camping and I’m missing my 6 day trip to Hocking hills over Memorial Day. Kind sad really.

I dropped the trailer off at Orvan’s yesterday toured their shop got a punch list done for the repair and also went over all the warranty work with Orvan I could think of. I also am having some of his enhancements done. Wow he exudes confidence to get it done right. Looks like the brunt force of the truck was sucked up by the rear slide report, no fiberglass damage but the skirting and the mechanism needs replaced plus normal safety checks and looking at everything underneath. I spent lots of time under before dropping out and nothing structural is visually bent. We are shooting for mid June to pick it up.

Hopefully I can have it ready for our 4th of July trip.

I’m not going to add airbags now, I may go with a different pin box although chucking was not an issue except on some crazy washboard roads in Ohio and KY.

This trip was expensive and but an adventure. I had to stop on the freeway to remove the black tank holder that was falling off west of Miami. The screws on the one side must of not been big enough. But I had ample space and the traffic was only moving 3 mph.

Hit a massive swarm of love bugs around Orlando and my truck and the front of the camper were black.

Met some Creekers on this forum coming home and they had good advice. I felt like a newbie at this campground, half hooked up my black tank wrong and had a spillthat I had to clean up. Ridiculous.

I got out of sorts w those love bugs. Wet bounce sheets was the answer to removal both truck and trailer.

Plus the Wal Mart from Hades and a leak in a not supposed to leak place. But I met a lot of nice people along the way.

Every campground I met someone who has just or just a short time ago went full time. Wow.

The Keys were nicer than I expected and I do expect to be there next year again for a longer period. Keys Palms Resort is gorgeous.Attachment 204126

Any questions, please ask.

Peace

MikeAttachment 204119 Attachment 204125
Quote:
Thanks for the comprehensive report... Especially in light of your mishap. I'm not sure I'd be able to focus on sharing info like you did.

Could you explain about the black tank hanger problem. Also, what other improvements are Orvan doing.

Things are moving along on our upgrade. We're picking up the new Ram 3500 next Monday and the 34IK is offline and should be here in a week or 2. Hoping it will be here in time to take to the Amish Ohio and Positively Petrolia Rallies.

I really appreciate all of your updates before and during your trip and hope you can get back on the road soon

Get a chance, check out Hocking Hills area in Ohio, it's amazing.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:49 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irobutterfly59 View Post
Get a chance, check out Hocking Hills area in Ohio, it's amazing.
We have a couple of extra days at Evergreen RV so we might just do that.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:19 AM   #36
Stupid Lucky

MikeRP - happy to hear you made it back safely. Key Largo to Ohio and then to Indiana is a long trip. I'm sure with your eye for detail you knew your 5er was road ready before you departed. Looks like we will be picking up our 34IK from Hatfield's on 5/16 or 5/17 assuming PDI goes well. It comes off the line at Cedar Creek in Topeka, IN, on Monday, 5/13. We will take it from the dealer to either Delaware or Mohican State Park for a few days to settle into it and learn more about the unit. My DW has named it Miss Jane Hathaway for the character from Beverly Hillbillies.
Sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:51 PM   #37

Haha love it, that is a great name. I got my truck named Lodi and this truck is actually Lodi 3. Haven’t named the Creek yet. Maybe Crawl Dad or Tadpole or just The Creek. I went down to Alum Creek they got some nice full hookups. Ttys