Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
Utah Kid

About the trailair pin box again

All I want to know is, should the trailer be on the truck, or off the truck when you fill it with air.

Thanks

RC
Roncross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roncross View Post
All I want to know is, should the trailer be on the truck, or off the truck when you fill it with air.

Thanks

RC
ON (with the gear up)
Old 06-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #3

X2 and loaded for travel.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:46 PM   #4

i would air it up first with the gear down.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #5

X3...loaded. Otherwise you may at be adding more air again after loading
😕
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:03 PM   #6

Sorry 😁
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #7

the reason i air up first with gear down is the compressor i use will sometimes pop the fuse in the truck. plus i know it takes about 80psi so airing up with the gear down works good for me
Old 06-08-2015, 05:32 AM   #8

As others have said it is with the camper on the TV.

When you unhook you can check it and it should be a lower PSI and you will know the range to have it at before hooking up again. Just remember each air check will drop the PSI about two to three PSI on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roncross View Post

Thanks

RC
Trailer fully loaded, hooked up,ready to drive away, check the setting, add or let air out until the air bag is at the right level according to manufacture instruction
wamafi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #10

I know I would do it this way. Do a test to see how close to the correct air pressure you need to be what is needed when hooked up. this is very easy. then before you use the rv air up the trailair more than is needed. After you are hooked up let enough air out to make the arrow locater be at the proper spot.

I have an air hitch and I add more air then adjust after hooked to the truck. different but same idea.

labarn
labarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
As others have said it is with the camper on the TV.

When you unhook you can check it and it should be a lower PSI and you will know the range to have it at before hooking up again. Just remember each air check will drop the PSI about two to three PSI on mine.

Exactly what he said! You definitely do not want to over inflate the airbag prior to adding the weight. My bags on my truck are 25psi unloaded. With the 5er hooked up, they are 50psi. Jerry

Old 06-08-2015, 09:19 PM   #12
Old Member

My TrailAir is something close to 60psi unloaded and 90psi loaded. I have a hitch weight of 2,600lbs.Your mileage my be different.
Cool Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #13

Trailair bag leaking?

Is it common for the air bag to leak a small amount during non use? Seems like every time I hook up the fiver the bag has leaked and needs to be aired up again. Sure does make a world of difference in ride when properly aired up though.

I've never checked the bag pressure when parked or towing so I'll make these measurements very soon. Pin weight on my Brookstone is ~3500lbs.

My el cheapo Harbor Freight compressor has a difficult time making over 65psi, tough to find 80psi air anywhere these days.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
My el cheapo Harbor Freight compressor has a difficult time making over 65psi, tough to find 80psi air anywhere these days.
Good bike pumps go up that high. My hybrid bike requires 95 psi or something like that. Worked beautifully for my TrailAir:

ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #15

Bike pump is too much work for me. I purchased a portable air tank from Harbor Freigth that holds 11 gallons of air at 125psi on sale. I fill this up at home and carry this in the bed of the truck. I have used the same tank since 2010 on both of my trailers that have the Trailair bag installed. I do not worry about the air pressure reading since it only requires you to adjust the bag pressure so the arrows line up to the end of the shock.

I have found out where one day I had to air up and the next day I had to air down change in elevation and temperature. So air pressure is not that really important to me.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Bike pump is too much work for me. I purchased a portable air tank from Harbor Freigth that holds 11 gallons of air at 125psi on sale. I fill this up at home and carry this in the bed of the truck. I have used the same tank since 2010 on both of my trailers that have the Trailair bag installed. I do not worry about the air pressure reading since it only requires you to adjust the bag pressure so the arrows line up to the end of the shock.

I have found out where one day I had to air up and the next day I had to air down change in elevation and temperature. So air pressure is not that really important to me.
I carry a 3 gallon pancake compressor, also. But found it was pretty easy to throw the bike pump into the truck bed and climb in. With the dually, it's more of a hassle getting into/out of the bed than anything else!
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I carry a 3 gallon pancake compressor, also. But found it was pretty easy to throw the bike pump into the truck bed and climb in. With the dually, it's more of a hassle getting into/out of the bed than anything else!
Side note: I have purchased two "AMP BED STEPS" one is attached at the rear bumper and the other is attached on the LH side ahead of the rear tires; at the front corner of the pick-up box. Just open the step and climb on tire making it very easy to service the air bag or getting into the bed.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:41 AM   #18

Air up the Trailair bag after hitching up. You don't know the pressure needed to bring it to the proper point until you are hitched up. It should be close to 100 psi or you need a different size air bag to achieve the proper ride characteristics. If a dealer installed your pin box, it's probably got the wrong air bag. They usually put in the biggest one thinking more is better.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #19

Air gun pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Good bike pumps go up that high. My hybrid bike requires 95 psi or something like that. Worked beautifully for my TrailAir:
I have a typical Walmart bicycle pump but doubt I can get that kind of pressure out of it. My other hand pump is made for high pressure air guns up to 3300 psi. I'd have to come up with an adapter as it is set up for high pressure quick disconnect. It wouldn't bother me to pump a few minutes to get my air bag right.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #20

Lowes just offered a Husky inflator pump, 130 psi, 12 vdc or 120 vac, your choice, $25. Why would you mess with something complicated?
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote