Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #1

About to buy CC 36ckts Have questions

I have a RAM 3500 Mega cab DRW 4x4, airbags, B&W 18K 5th wheel hitch.
Questions:
1: can I pull the CC with my short bed without a slider hitch (I plan to get the TrailAir tri-glide kingpin)?
2: We thought about getting the dishwasher, anyone have it, how do you like it?
3: One the main reasons for us in choosing the CC is the Whirlpool refer, I hate my current RV frig. Who has the electric/home frig and how do you like it?
4:Overall quality, how is it?
5: lastly (for now) I was looking at "Jeff Couches RV Nation" in Ohio as the place to buy, how are they to work with etc. There prices make it worth the 500 mile drive to pick it up.
Thanks in advance.
Looking forward to being a member.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Always Learning

What year Megacab?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #3

2011.5 High Output (800 ft/lbs)(in signature)
Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Always Learning

Sorry- the iphone app doesn't always show signatures. It's very inconsistent.

Anyway with a pre-13 Megacab, you're likely going to be over in the GVWR department. The payload on these is really unusually low. As long as you're ok with that, then you should be good to go.

Unfortunately, I don't have any answers to your actual questions other than that random comment. Sorry!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Concerning towing the 36 CKTS with a short bed without a slider . . . You bet your bottom dolled you can tow it without slider ..... You just have to pay very close attention to the cab-cap relationship in those sharp turns, otherwise goodby rear window, hello damaged front cap
Old 05-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #6

It seems to me that the Trailair pinboxes are about 2-3 inches longer than the stock ones.

I have the standard Trailair air bag pinbox and it gets alot closer to the side of my bed than the stock one did, so it should put the trailer back just a bit as well.

While I do not have your truck or trailer the measurements should be about the same.

Hope this helps.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #7

refrigerator is fine as long as you do not intend to dry camp, than your batteries will be dead in less than 2 days. dishwasher would be nice if you have full hook up if not will fill your grey tank a lot faster. quality..... well i bought mine in july of 2012 and have had use of it just under 4 months, the rest of the time its been in for warranty work, still there as I type. have had 3 FR products in the past 3 years, do not foresee a 4th.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #8

3. We have the Whirpool and love it. We don't do a lot of dry camping (probably 2-3 weeks total a year) but have tested at home and can run the fridge for ~2 days or so without problems on Bat. We have a generator (standalone) we use to bring the bats back up. We did upgrade to the PD9260 converter for charging just after we bought the rig.

4. Our build quality was good. The usually stuff with sawdust (do they really not own a vacuum at the factory?) and one minor warranty issue on a baggage door (I think it was more an issue with it being a display model at the RV show). Otherwise we have had no major issues with any of the systems so far.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #9

Thanks for the info everyone, I am almost obsessive about gathering information on major purchases. I makes the decision easier.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #10

We ordered ours, pickup 10-10-2008. Have lived in it since. We have stack washer and dryer and dishwasher. Factory install stack W/D, I install dishwasher. Have the 18CF refer, with inverter. Love them all! If you live within a few hundred miles of Topeka, IN, call the factory service center and have them do all warranty and other work there. They will treat you right and bend over backwards to fix anything that needs fixing. Even what the dealer screws up!! Also, if you are on the road and something does happens, call them and they well get you to the best nearest dealer, ship what you need, helping you and get back on the road, fast. Quality on the unit, is at the top end for the price range, most of the problems are a result of outside source equipment, not the factory construction, etc. As far as I'm concerned, unless you know a good dealer (which are few and far between), with an excellant service department, get the best deal you can get and leave, then spend what you saved, having fun using your unit!!!! As far as the truck, can not tell you, ours is 3500 dually with long bed.

Hope this helps and God bless,
Mike
2007 - Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins
May God bless
WA8MRU
mike1poles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Full Timer

The refrigerator is great and you always have ice, I would never get a gas/electric again, to many problems with them. Like was said if your dry camping you can run the generator to recharge the batteries I also met a couple that had a portable solar panel for when they dry camp to keep batteries charged from the refrigerator.

I agree for the price the quality is great they could improve quality control though, the problems we have had have all been little piddly things.

I bought from Jeff Couch's, I am pretty sure they sell CC cheaper then anybody else. I would recommend them with the understanding they are a wholesaler and you are getting a deal. Now to clarify, I got a great walk around and demo, but I knew what I wanted and had them order it for me. They are not a wine and dine you dealership, they wholesale and move a lot a numbers and are busy.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
life2short4nofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #12
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
refrigerator is fine as long as you do not intend to dry camp, than your batteries will be dead in less than 2 days. dishwasher would be nice if you have full hook up if not will fill your grey tank a lot faster. quality..... well i bought mine in july of 2012 and have had use of it just under 4 months, the rest of the time its been in for warranty work, still there as I type. have had 3 FR products in the past 3 years, do not foresee a 4th.
Don't know where the two days comes from. A properly maintained set of 6 volt batteries should last a lot longer than 2 days. This past week mine, after being on the road for over a week, lasted 5 days without charge from either external or truck alternator and the Whirlpool was still hummin away when we picked up the Creek, nothin spoiled, not even 10 day old milk! Heard from another Creeker concerning dry camping, he reported it lasted almost two weeks before the fridge died, go figger!

Concerning the dish washer thingy, I have a heck of a time with those paper dishes don't you know. Besides I'd get real confused, you know, is it dw or DW?

We purchased ours in May 2012, used it 135+ days in '12 and will use it 150 - 165 days this year. If you are loosing time to warranty stays you may very well have chosen the wrong dealer for that consideration. Bobby Bradley is the CSM for Cedar Creek and in my book rates among the top customer service professionals in the industry. Suggest you contact him at 206-593-2417. He is busy as all get out but your patience will be rewarded.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1poles View Post
We ordered ours, pickup 10-10-2008. Have lived in it since. We have stack washer and dryer and dishwasher. Factory install stack W/D, I install dishwasher. Have the 18CF refer, with inverter. Love them all! If you live within a few hundred miles of Topeka, IN, call the factory service center and have them do all warranty and other work there. They will treat you right and bend over backwards to fix anything that needs fixing. Even what the dealer screws up!! Also, if you are on the road and something does happens, call them and they well get you to the best nearest dealer, ship what you need, helping you and get back on the road, fast. Quality on the unit, is at the top end for the price range, most of the problems are a result of outside source equipment, not the factory construction, etc. As far as I'm concerned, unless you know a good dealer (which are few and far between), with an excellant service department, get the best deal you can get and leave, then spend what you saved, having fun using your unit!!!! As far as the truck, can not tell you, ours is 3500 dually with long bed.

Hope this helps and God bless,
Mike
Thanks Mike, the wife and I plan to spend at least 100 days a year in it when I retire in 6 years, more if we can.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #14

We have not been dry camping yet, but the rig was sitting now the last 3 days on battery and the fridge/inverter was still up and running. We were able run the jacks and slides without any problems. The stupid lights says 2/3 charge still.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #15

never tried it on batteries, I was just going by what the dealer told me, I assume you have the 4 6 volt battery setup.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #16

Yes on the 4x6-Volt battery setup

Old 05-11-2013, 05:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhammkc View Post
Questions:
1: Since you already have the hitch, I would try it. Have someone watch while you slowly back up in a deserted parking lot. The Trailair hitch does seem to be longer than most.
2: We don't have the dishwasher and try to use paper products whenever possible. However, that may be a future mod when we retire in 2 years.
3: We love the Whirlpool refer. It is much better and bigger than a RV refer. Ours did not have the icemaker and that was a deal breaker for my DW. We negotiated that into the deal. The Tech that did the work told me he was amazed at the amount of insulation he found under the camper when he ran the water line.
4:I believe the overall quality is much better than most. That said, it is still an assembly line product and subject to boo boo's. We had one major boo boo. The rear AC unit was installed 1 inch too far forward. This caused condensate to drip into the duct system and leak into the camper. I also had a defective ceiling fan, but that is a vender issue not FR. Dick Gore RV in Jacksonville, FL has been great! Both times I took it in, there was no wait to bring it in and just a couple of days for the work.
5: I can't help you on this one!
We love our 36 CKTS and I'm sure you will too. One thing that irked me was trying to fill the batteries. And, by the way, I think the converter charger is not as good as it should be because it seems to boil off too much water. Anyway, there is only a couple of inches from the top of the batteries to the bottom of a shelf. I went to Adventurenet.com and bought 2 battery watering systems and a squeeze pump. It cost me $135.00, but I'm happy now! Speaking of batteries, it is the dealer's responsibility to provide the batteries. I've heard of dealers trying to get away with installing one 12 volt battery instead of the four 6volt batteries. Good luck and welcome to the Creeker Club!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #18

Thanks,
Going out to the dealer today to finalize the deal.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #19

Choosing a dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhammkc View Post
Questions:
1: can I pull the CC with my short bed without a slider hitch (I plan to get the TrailAir tri-glide kingpin)?
2: We thought about getting the dishwasher, anyone have it, how do you like it?
3: One the main reasons for us in choosing the CC is the Whirlpool refer, I hate my current RV frig. Who has the electric/home frig and how do you like it?
4:Overall quality, how is it?
5: lastly (for now) I was looking at "Jeff Couches RV Nation" in Ohio as the place to buy, how are they to work with etc. There prices make it worth the 500 mile drive to pick it up.
Thanks in advance.
Looking forward to being a member.
We talked with RV Nation, among others. We decided upon Lazydays, Tucson. The price was within a reasonable difference. We took into account what Lazydays offers before, during and after the sale.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote