Old 12-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
jlf

AC broken round two

Well here we are in our brand new, less than 2 month old 2014 Silverback 33rl. We are on a much needed 10 day vacation at Ft Wilderness campground in Walt Disney World. The AC has bit the dust. We called around local dealers to see about having the AC fixed. If we wanted to pack everything up and take it to camping world, they would cover the warranty. If we wanted to have someone come out to do the work, it was anywhere between $265.00 to $500.00. There happened to be someone two sites down from us working on the AC of another camper. He gave us a estimate of $65.00 service call, $300.00 labor cost, and another $95.00 for the inside part of the AC. He said Forest River won't cover the inside part, and only allows for 1 hour of labor. After looking at our AC there wasn't any freon and when he pulled the intake out, there wasn't any tape inside it. Well this guy took the three hours and did a wonderful job of taping as well as installing the unit. Well now we are out $460.00 for something that should have been done right the first time. My question; has anyone had to deal with Forest River in trying to be reimbursed for monies paid out? Or am I out almost $500 at Christmas time? Thanks for any help

Old 12-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #2

Send in a copy of the invoice and a description of the work done with a copy of the Bill of sale for the silver to FR.
Ask for them to refund the costs.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #3

Come up to my wilderness the temp is 15 degrees.. No need for AC here..
Seriously though I hope you can get your issue resolved.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sorry about your issues.
Glad you got it fixed and going.

Remember forest river doesn't make the a/c units they just install them.
Any installation issue would be on forest river.
If I read correctly you choose not to take it to camping world for a full warranty replacement and fix and decided to have a mobile guy do the work.
As stated send all copies of work order to forest river warranty dept.
Btw they normally need all warranty items returned to them for reimbursement, is the mobile repair guy going to do that?

Turbs
Old 12-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #5

Good luck
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

Floating around the forum is a contact sheet for the warranty folks at FR. I'd suggest digging that up and contacting FR directly (bypassing your dealer). If I were me, I'd layout what happened, why I chose the mobile RV tech and ask for reimbursement. Hopefully they respond favorably. I wouldn't mind not getting back all of the money (service visit, at a minimum), but if you can get most of it back - I'd call it a win.

Turbo makes a good point about their procedures- not having the parts or not having everything you need could be a problem.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 12-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #7

I hate to sound all Doom and Gloom, but I would not expect FR to make good on expedited out of network repairs. .
Old 12-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #8

you may have noticed in the packet of books that came with your RV the information about your Dometic A/C and the 2 year warranty provided for by Dometic, not forest river. If the A/c fails call Dometic and see what they will do for you, I did and was told any dometic dealer will work on the unit and if one was not close they would send a mobile unit. FR does not make the A/C or most components in the Rv and each has there own warranty. Good luck in your pursuit of a refund from FR as unless it was an installation problem they are just going to direct it to Dometic.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #9

But again, I would think that you would have to have called and received authorization from Dometic prior to having the work performed
Old 12-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
But again, I would think that you would have to have called and received authorization from Dometic prior to having the work performed
when I called Dometic on mine they said take it to any dealer who services dometic or they would find someone to come to me as I was living at Fort wilderness at the time and had no vehicle to tow the 5th wheel, as I had it delivered to Disney by the dealer.