Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #1

AC question

I am hooked up to 30 amp and I decided to see if both ac,s would work at the same time. Too my surprise the breaker did blow!. As anyone tried this and could I risk doing some damage to my ac units running both on 30amp?
jmcclocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #2

Recommended maximum continuous load (over 15 minutes) for a 30 amp circuit is 24 amps, as per Nat. Electrical code. Only A/C units rated at 10K Btu or less can be paired on that circuit.

The quick and dirty work around is to find the internal wiring for one of the A/C units (at the breaker center is often best place), cut into the wire and install a standard 3 prong plug and outlet (Like an extension cord). Then when you want to run both units, unplug the new connections, plug in an extension cord, and run that cord to the 20 amp outlet at the power pedestal.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #3

no risk, as the breaker will either handle both at the same time, or it won't...

this discussion raises it's head periodically, especially in the summer, but a 30amp rv service outlet, and breaker, should be able to handle two 13.5kw roof air conditioners with no problem...

the 'problem' arises either due to the owner 'also' powering other things at the same time, such as the electric water heater, microwave, etc., and sometimes due to an overused and 'weak' breaker at the Shore Power outlet, which can trip overly quickly.

We've run two roof airs, along with satellite tv watching, floor fans, and the residential fridge with no problems on 30amp service, you just have to be more 'careful' of the other things you suddenly 'turn on', which could trip the breaker - but that, in itself, doesn't 'hurt' anything, it just tells you that the breaker decided IT didn't like all that at the same time.
You can also turn your Battery Charger down, or off, to minimize tripping.

We've run into several 'weak' and 'overly anxious to trip' breakers in all our travels - replacing it with a new breaker solved the problem. Both a/cs run great, and many times even the owner or manager of the park are amazed. Crazy, but true.

The 'stories' about not being able to 'do this, or do that' when RVing run rampant!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote