Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 06:43 PM   #1

Accessing gray tank valves --- Do it or not?

Ok, this going to sound stupid, but here goes anyway: I have a 2014 Silverback 37BH, and the valves on the kitchen tank have been a problem from the get-go. I've had an RV tech work on my valves, replacing the cables from the multi-strand type to solid wire connections. Gradually that tank has returned to its stubborn condition.

I have extended warranty that should cover, but I'm afraid I'm going to end up with another 1/2 ***** job again.

Just how difficult is it to access the gate valves and replace the panels under my unit? Is it a job that's guy with considerable DIY skills (jake-leg) can do??

All suggestions are welcome!
richard75w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Easy job....if you can see gates....if not, people have used a box knife to open up a trap door in covering and taped shut
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #3

If you have the 4'X6' plastic panels under your Silverback like 2015's and 2016's ... you don't have to hack away and then tape back up. Remove the screws in the lap seam at both ends and simply bow the panel down and remove from the frame. Push the insulation back a bit and you'll be looking right at the valve(s). If you are planning on replacing the valve, don't figure on sawing the PVC and regluing ... remove 4 bolts and the valve gate pops out of the body. 2 putty knifes help to hold the seals when installing the new gate. Cable is held on with a screw for the cable outer housing and a set screw for the cable itself ... easy peasy. Be sure and flush and drain the tank before removing the gate ...
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, valve