Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #1

Advice wanted on Cedar Creek 36CK2 or Cardinal 3250RL

My wife and I getting ready to purchase a fifth wheel. We found a Cardinal 3250RL full body paint and were ready to purchase. My wife's big concern is the bathroom she just saw the Cedar Creek 36CK2 and likes the bigger bathroom. I am at loss and wanted to get some expert advice on any one familiar with these fifth wheels. The are both built by Forest River so I would assume the are both good. Is one considered better? Quality and longevity is one better? Is one better suited for full timing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
mdshope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:15 PM   #2

Both nice choices, I prefer the Cedar Creek but we did own one so kind of partial to them, we received great support from the factory. Hope others will lend advise, good luck on your choice.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #3

You are asking for Opinions. Mine is going to lean towards Cedar Creek. Cardinal owners would probably disagree.

Trouble is, there are probably VERY few (read "none") folks that have owned both, and without that, dunno how to compare similar ones.

Full timing depends on what you own, what you carry, how you live, etc. No one can answer that.

All that said, I have seen several of the newer CC Champagne's, Riverstones, CK2, you name it.........and I can't see much of any difference in layout in any of them compared to what I have, except for that bigger bathroom (which adds almost 2 feet to my length). They are all very similar. I would appreciate the 8K axles and bigger wheels and tires. But I can get that.

Several folks in the CC Club full time. I assume (?) same can be said of the Cardinal Club.

Oh.....CC can be ordered with full body paint, I believe. I wish I had it......and I wish you paid for it! LOL

Lot of words, sorry.....probably not much help.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #4

I appreciate the replies and a good point I am posting in the Cedar Creek side of the house so things may be slanted in that direction. So maybe it would be better to ask it this way.

36CK2 owners what can you tell me about the quality and longevity of this Fifth Wheel? If you where ordering it New what options would you add? I do want a full body paint so that is one option I would add. What would you add and why. Long two part question I know.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #5

That's a new model, probably not many have it. Mine is similar.........maybe I can help SOME?

The things that were 'extra' that we ordered:
Residential Refrigerator.
Four six volt batteries
Generator prep.
2nd A/C unit (13.5K)
Ottoman
Trail Air King Pin

Most everything else came with it.

If I could get 8K axles, I would have, with 17.5" Goodyear G114 tires. But I doubt you can.

We wish we'd have gotten the washer and dryer.

We've added other stuff......but stuff other than options you can get at the factory.

EDIT: You better think long and hard about the tankless water heater, if that's what it comes with. Many LOVE IT TO DEATH, and many (me) hated it. It generates a lot of discussion. Good water flow is crucial for its effectiveness. Also, which Lippert Level Up system it comes with.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #6

Full body paint on a c.c is about $9,000 to $12,000 option Can't remember the exact amount I was quoted. Sure is pretty .
cody1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody1884 View Post
Full body paint on a c.c is about $9,000 to $12,000 option Can't remember the exact amount I was quoted. Sure is pretty .
Wow..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:42 PM   #8

If you get the touring edition on the Cedar Creek with full body paint it includes some of the other items so the cost is not more than a couple thousand. We ordered a 2017 34RE and took delivery last May and full body paint ended up only being about $1500 because i wanted the level up system that the touring edition included. There was something else included in it but I can't recall at the moment. Check out what the fully body paint package includes.

FYI - we love the CC 34RE but would like a larger bathroom. That will be on the wish list when we upgrade in a few years down the road.
- 2016 2nd half of year days camped = 34
- 2017 camped days = 38
- 2018 on track for 40 days camping
Kenstrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #9

There is a 6 feet difference in length between those two models. So, apples and oranges.

The bigger bathroom looks nicer than a smaller bathroom. No doubt about it. But, how much time do you spend in there compared to the living room/kitchen. The extra 2 feet in the bathroom takes 2 feet away from another room in a comparable sized RV. Do you lose storage space in the kitchen? Where do the dishes go?

Is there enough space to walk next to the bed without doing a side shuffle?

Some Cedar Creek advantages:

Battery compartment hold four GC2 batteries. Most only have room for two. Are you getting a residential refrigerator that runs on batteries and an inverter when not plugged in. Will two batteries last long enough?

Load range G tires (110psi), not E (80psi). Larger cargo capacity or more reserve tire load capacity.

Cedar Creek uses hung walls that are made WITHOUT lamination (look in the Back to Basics brochure for more details). So it cannot delaminate. That also allows for electric outlets on an exterior wall. Laminated walls usually have electric outlets elsewhere.

I personally like the 36CKTS better than the 36CK2 because the cabinets to the right of the refrigerator are bigger. That is more useful to me than a bigger bathroom with two sinks.

When you are in a RV, try to imagine where your stuff will go. Is there enough room in the right places?

Good luck in your hunt.
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB B&W Continuum Hitch
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #10

My neighbor has a cardinal and I have a CC Hathaway edition. Both are comparable but I liked the options more on the CC when we purchased. Additionally I preferred a higher front nose than the cardinal. Both had similar options and floor plans. To me and this is just my personal opinion the detail on the inside was slightly better but again just my opinion and not to downplay the cardinal. Not sure about cardinal owners club but the cedar creek owners club is an active group and help their fellow members when needing something added or fixed.
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #11

We have a 2005 Cardinal and love it. The main reason we picked Cardinal at the time was the vacuum bond walls vs hollow filled with insulation. Don't know what CC uses now. CC makes a beautiful 5er, we saw the one on display at the RV/MH Hall of Fame in Elkhart.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #12

We have the Cardinal 3250 and love it. I specifically got rid of the Country Coach motorhome with full body paint because I like to go into the boonies on forestry roads with gravel. Just figure out how you want to use it.
We upgraded the tires to G614's, put Go Power solar with 4 6V batteries, Direct TV satellite dish, upgraded the sound system and I think that's about it.
The 3250 is actually just short of 36' so don't be fooled by any manufacturer labels. None of them are correct that I've seen.
It's very livable with nice features like slide out drawers in the galley and bedroom plus cedar lining in the bedroom.
We've had a few warranty items and they've taken care of them with no problem. I'm remote from the dealer so they've sent me the parts and I've done some of the work myself for free. I did have a tech come to do a few things and they paid for him as well.
Couldn't be happier with their service.
I really love the full body paint and do miss it. BUT, being anal as hell and driving my wife crazy, I appreciate the aspect of going on gravel roads without gritting my teeth and enjoying it more.

Good luck and feel free to email me at wgibb@aol.com if you have any questions.

Bill
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #13

CC vs Cardinal

I agree with most post. We have CC 38CK and love it. I love the room around the bed. I'm short and most beds I can't reach the headboard to make the bed. But I can in our CC. Plus the statement is true. There has never been two of us in the bathroom at same time. Our CC is a 2015. We are just returning from a cross country trip. We usually spend 3 months in it at one time. When my responsibilities end we will probably be full timers.
Full paint would be nice but when our cap started to fade warranty covered to do the whole thing. I love our fifth wheel. Be happy and healthy and enjoy whatever decision you make. Love Forest River Products and this forum.
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #14

CC

Purchasing a CC. Hands down over all others.
Inspectorslg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #15

I really appreciate all the feedback. We have been in the 3250RL and really like it my wife feels the 36CK2 will meet our needs better so we are going to drive to Myrtle Beach this weekend to look at the 36CK2, 34RL and 36CKTS
Old 02-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #16

E-mail me at Harley2010@cfl.rr.com

I can give you a dealers name who blew everyone's price out of the ball park even with shipping it to Florida. And I loaded it up with almost all the options.
Inspectorslg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #17

Both are good units. You may want to check Cardinals floorplans. They have some with bigger baths. Cardinal has bonded walls vs cedar traditional construction. Cardinal has 3 inch floors, dont know about the CK you are considering. Eithe is a great choice. I prefer Cardinal.
safrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #18
SnP

I prefer Cedar Creek RV over any other brand. Top of the line quality. Plus, I am 6' and can stand up straight in slides, bedroom and front closet. Looked at many brands, including Cardinal, but always come back to the Cedar Creeks.

Here is a link to the Cedar Creek build, http://www.forestriverinc.com/brochu...-to-Basics.pdf .
You can view for yourself. There is also a build video on their website. Cedar Creek Champagne Edition Fifth Wheels by Forest River RV

These two links will give you true information on the Cedar Creek build and not someone's opinions.
Camped - 2014-47, 2015-104, 2016-100, 2017-161, 2018-94
SnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #19

whichever you choose, please post up some pics so we can all see your new pride and joy!
Old 02-22-2017, 01:27 AM   #20

We have had our Cardinal 3250 for just over a year, and could not be more pleased. Shopped for more than 6 years before deciding on the Cardinal. Top quality fit and finish inside and out. One of the only fifth wheels we ever saw where the kitchen slide fits flush with the kitchen floor when extended, unlike most that leave a 2-inch riser on the floor where I would bash my size 13 shoes while cooking or visiting the fridge. Tows like a dream. Best of all - - it is exactly what my wife wanted!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardinal, cedar creek