Old 02-05-2015, 06:11 PM   #1

Question Aiming Direct TV SWM Dish

Need some help from all you experienced RV'ers. I will have the direct TV Genie and Joey system in My CC . I will be setting up a tripod with SWM dish. Question
Will I need a meter to setup. If so what is a good one to buy?

Any advice ya'll can give will be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #2

What I need is how to fine tune it. I am afraid I might break something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick03hd View Post
Need some help from all you experienced RV'ers. I will have the direct TV Genie and Joey system in My CC . I will be setting up a tripod with SWM dish. Question
Will I need a meter to setup. If so what is a good one to buy?

Any advice ya'll can give will be greatly appreciated.
I use an iPhone app to locate the satellite(s) so I can tell if trees/trailer/etc. block the antenna's "view" of them. That helps me place my antenna. Then I use the DIRECTV Genie set-up function and my TV to fine-tune the pointing. However, before I use the Genie set-up, I check and double check my antenna's settings for tilt, azimuth, elevation (especially elevation). I had to get my eyeball close to the elevation markings, else I couldn't see the index pointer for the degree marks.

Do a search for azimuth or Direct tv or DIRECTV and find many other threads where details are given and explained. Here's one: Direct TV

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:12 PM   #4

Thanks

2015 CC 36CKTS
2011 Ford F-250
2003 Harley Ultra Classic

2016 Ford F350 DRW
2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Low
rick03hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:40 PM   #5

Rick,
We have the same problem and are looking for a solution also. We have the SWM 5 and have had limited success at aiming the way Mr. Dan laid out in the above post. We tend to move about every 2 to 3 days and in the course of a month we will have to re align 10 to 15 times. We have about a 50% success rate.
When we got back from last trip we started looking and reading many post on the SWM system and have decided a meter may be our best bet. I have not ordered yet but I will post a link to the one we landed on. I would like to find a cheaper one or just have the success Dan has but I must not be doing something just right. Max Tracker Plus Satellite Signal Meter LOCKED
Old 02-06-2015, 07:33 AM   #6

The SWM 5 is very difficult to align without the proper meter. Even then it can be time consuming. I went to the SWM 3 Slimline and it is much easier. You still receive HD and local channels and enjoy your experience much more.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-06-2015, 08:59 AM   #7

We have a swm3 and don't own a meter. Once we have the dish mounted on the tripod we're usually good to go in 10 minutes or less. The key is to have a good stable tripod and make sure that the mast you mount your dish to is ABSOLUTELY plumb. No meter needed.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #8
Site Team

Doh....... too many details for an old man. My set-up is NOT SWM5.
I have "DIRECTV KAKU SWM3 SWM 3 LNB SLIMLINE KA KU DISH SL3S MPEG4 HD 4WAY NEW SATELLITE".

Sorry.

I agree with mobil above... although I made my own antenna stand for CHEAP! See at link below.

Direct TV portable satellite

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #9

I put a lot of effort to building an easy to adjust tripod to use w my SWM3 dish w Directv. I practiced on my patio aiming and pointing from a couple of different spots. I never got comfortable doing it and only got good signal after much effort. It was just not easy to level the tripod easily. I finally listened to a number of different forum posters look at the tripod offered from Satellite TV for RV - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV - RV television - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod. I ordered their HD tripod setup in Nov then. Ecause of the early snow this year I was not able to try it at home. I have set it up now three times in 5 weeks and I am very glad thT I have this setup. Tripod and dish setup time is less then 15 minutes after my first time. I use the built-in meter on the receiver. I have a small flat screen that i setup on a folding table near the dish for instant feedback. I have to say that i have been spot on with aiming the second and third time I setup without any fine tuning necessary. I heartily endorse the H&G ENTERPRISES tripod offered on their website.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:15 PM   #10

I will give it a look.
Thanks.

2015 CC 36CKTS
2011 Ford F-250
2003 Harley Ultra Classic

2016 Ford F350 DRW
2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Low
rick03hd is offline   Reply With Quote