Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #1

Alaska

Has anyone on here took there Cedar Creek to Alaska and back, just take the highway and go , not go on a caravan. Seems like a good thing to think about now while its still winter. I was looking at the Daltion Highway, I wonder what it would be like to take a C/C on that highway. DW will not retire this year but we could take a 3 wk trip and I could always fly her back.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #2

We live in AK and leave our CC in Oregon. We tent camp (weather/season permitting) while traveling back and forth to the lower 48. It would be a blast to travel with the CC through Canada... but since we have no use for a 5th wheel at home it doesn't make sense to incur the extra expense of towing it home. I say go for it... but plan on taking more than 3 weeks to be able to enjoy all the trip has to offer.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
edt

We did Ak in 60 days and it was entirely too short Dalton hwy is out for a 5the wheel all other roads in Ak were great even the top of the world hwy.
Have a range of fuel of better than 200 miles fuel is scarce in some areas and fairly expensive in remote areas. You can get the tours route and schedule on line we went by ourselves and saved a lot.
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
Always Learning

All I know, if you do it- I'll be very jealous. Alaska is on my bucket list.

I really want to do a kayak trip on a mother ship.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #5
CCRVOC

We are going to take ours to Alaska. We are planning for 2015 trip, but we may "stage" ourselves out west first and then trip northward to Alaska in 2016. Plans are fluid right now as work is still getting in the way of full-time fun....but it is getting closer
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
CCRVOC

We and 6 other Cedar Creeks did it in 2007. Left US from Glacier NP, up the Alaskan highway for 1 month, around Alaska for 1 month, and back down the western route thru BC for another month and back into US in WA state. Had a fabulous time - watch out for the orange cones on the road (frost heaves) and we all carried extra fuel (either extra tank or 5 gal carboys) which helped to find less expensive fuel.

Several of us want to go back again
miles on CC - 2011 = 6035; 2012 = 14779; 2013 = 9066; 2014 = 5263; 2015 = 11179; 2016 = 5869; 2017 = 7290
rockfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #7

I sure want to go this year but it looks like I will not be able to go this year. But next year I plan on going and it would be nice to hook up with someone that has been before or is just going for the first time like me and DW. I have a grandson and I think he wants to drive me and Grandma crazy. I am going next year, DW has promised me that this is her last year of working. I was stationed in Alaska at Ft Greely at Delta Junction in 1973. DW and I drove the Alcan home and I have always wanted to go back, it was 1100 miles of gravel road.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #8

Having ridden on the 'Dalton Highway' (haul road) for work purposes, I can tell you that I have no plans to ever take my 5er up it. Much of the road is intentionally not paved - it is maintained by scraping/bladiing and putting down a mixture of stone/clay/calcium. When it gets wet (it's always wet), it sprays onto your vehicle and becomes rock hard. Some companies require employees to wear safety glasses while driving because of stones hitting the windshield.

It is absolutely beautiful country, but desolate. Unless you're with the pipeline, you will have limited access to services. And the services you will have access to can be somewhat primitive.

If I did go (and I would like the wife to see Atigun Pass), I'd consider 'scouting' ahead in the TV for the next place to park before towing the 5er - there aren't many places to just 'pull-over' and enjoy the view.
kablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #9

2014 Alaska

We are finally on schedule to head out come May 9th, 2014. With house sold, in three days no less, we figured that was another good sign for our trip. DW is retiring May 1st, with that said, all we have to do is be back in Georgis before the first snow fall in the north: Been getting everything ready from my good coach down in Merritt, Island Florida. Gen Set came this week, that means we are ready for Denali...
kicksters

for work purposes, I can tell you that I have no plans to ever take my 5er up it. Much of the road is intentionally not paved - it is maintained by scraping/bladiing and putting down a mixture of stone/clay/calcium. When it gets wet (it's always wet), it sprays onto your vehicle and becomes rock hard. Some companies require employees to wear safety glasses while driving because of stones hitting the windshield.

It is absolutely beautiful country, but desolate. Unless you're with the pipeline, you will have limited access to services. And the services you will have access to can be somewhat primitive.

If I did go (and I would like the wife to see Atigun Pass), I'd consider 'scouting' ahead in the TV for the next place to park before towing the 5er - there aren't many places to just 'pull-over' and enjoy the view.[/QUOTE]
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #10

I cam hardly wait until next year, then DW will retire and we can go with no set time to get back. I would not mind going with a group, it would be nice to kick back at night and talk to friends. But I do want to take my time, I am 69 now and there will not be too many more years where I will be able to pull a fifthwheel, maybe a seat on a tour bus.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I was stationed in Alaska at Ft Greely at Delta Junction in 1973.
I was at Ft. Greely in the summer of 1972 for a demo ride in a Bell hovercraft that had been brought there from Vietnam. The Army thought briefly about using hovercraft in Alaska instead of helicopters, so they could travel cross-country in weather too bad for flying. After the ride, we used helicopters to map hovercraft routes from Fairbanks to Nome and Kotzebue. But nothing ever happened and the routes were never used.

We took our trailer to Alaska last summer. The Alaska Highway is no longer gravel except in a few very long construction zones. However, some of it probably should have been left gravel because frost-heaved pavement is like riding a roller coaster. Gravel can just be re-graded when the frost heave gets too bad, pavement can't.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote