Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Papi

Annoying Whine From Reefer

I am experiencing a high pitched whine from the refrigerator in my new 36CKTS (Dometic 9cf AC/LP). Didn't hear it on first trip but it's there 99% of the time now. Not loud enough to drive you out but can easily be heard from living area. I removed the outside louver and it's definitely coming from the fridge. Turning the fridge off doesn't stop the fan-sounding whine (30 sec off anyway). Only time I've heard it shut off is during evening (cooler out) and early in morning (also cool). Unit otherwise operates fine...AC, gas, temp all fine. It is truly annoying! Any ideas?
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #2

This is a common complaint. These are indeed the condenser cooling fans, which aren't needed in cooler temps.

It has been reported that changing the fan mounts to rubber quiets them down a lot. Some people have replaced those fans with high-capacity computer cooling fans. Just make sure that any replacement fan has at least as much air flow as the original ones do.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
Papi

Thanks Berry. I feel better knowing I'm not alone...and that I was heading the right direction. We're going on a week-long trip with a grandkid in three weeks (to Williamsburg area) and will put up with the noise for that. On our return to SC we're dropping the RV off at Tom Johnson's anyway for the punchlist care. I'll let them make me happy! I appreciate your input. I could make it better myself but why bother (even though it kills me not to).
now in same place.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #4

I'm getting the same whine. Will check with dealer and see if FR or Dometic are willing to do something about it.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #5

I've heard Dometic is replacing them with quieter ones
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #6

Bill how about letting me know what you find out at Tom Johnson, my frige makes the same noise. I brought a new CC at Tom's, a 30RL about a month ago.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Papi

Hi Spock.
Sure, I'd be happy to let you know. We'll be dropping the RV off about June 22nd on our return from VA. I'll let you know what they have to offer. It really is annoying!
One caution...I've been known to erase things (no I'm not in political office) and forget - so If you've not heard back from me by the end of June remind me...thanks!
now in same place.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Howard View Post
Hi Spock.
Sure, I'd be happy to let you know. We'll be dropping the RV off about June 22nd on our return from VA. I'll let you know what they have to offer. It really is annoying!
One caution...I've been known to erase things (no I'm not in political office) and forget - so If you've not heard back from me by the end of June remind me...thanks!
The whine is airflow, lots of it. Dometic placed fans out in the stream without ductwork. To make it happen you need lots of airflow, without the condenser doesn't cool, neither will the fridge! You can supplement air flow with added fans at the bottom of the unit, see F1100turbo's and Old Coot posts on his added reefer fans. It makes the existing fans work less with added air across the unit.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:23 AM   #9
Papi

Interesting comment about the extra fans. I'll be mulling over that one while I find out what dealer/Dometic can or will do. The annoying noise is definitely the fans - mechanical in nature at very high pitch. Air flow I could probably live with. Any idea how Dometic exhausts the air and/or where, into what? Wonder if that might help. ...the continuing saga...
now in same place.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #10

I simple cheap temp fix is to get a cheap 12" plastic box fan and make a couple of hooks out of a coat hanger and hang the fan against the fridge back vent and have the fan blowing in. We were lucky with our 2604 in that the BBQ table was right below the fridge vent and I could set the fan on it. The fan will increase the air flow so that the factory fan will not kick on and the addition air flow will also cool the fridge better.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Howard
Interesting comment about the extra fans. I'll be mulling over that one while I find out what dealer/Dometic can or will do. The annoying noise is definitely the fans - mechanical in nature at very high pitch. Air flow I could probably live with. Any idea how Dometic exhausts the air and/or where, into what? Wonder if that might help. ...the continuing saga...
Fan(s) are attached to back of reefer box and temp controlled with a thermostat. Sole purpose is to direct air from lower louvered vent opening into the condenser coils and exit at the roof. Added fans easy to access, orig must remove fridge most models.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote