Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2018, 12:02 PM   #1

Another Faded Cap Question

We purchased a used 2014 Silverback almost 2 years ago. The coach was stored inside a warehouse and the cap looked to be free of fading. Because I store it where it gets a few hours of sun in the afternoon it immediately started to fade. Because I am the 2nd owner Forest River will not even talk to me. They fail to realize we are all potentially new customers that if treated with respect could be purchasing new coaches in the future.
That said, has anyone had a cap painted in the Phoenix, Mesa area that they would recommend to do a good job.

Thank you very much for your input
Old 10-18-2018, 03:41 PM   #2

I feel your pain as our 2016 (bought new 4-15) stored under an RV port has started to fade as well. So far I can lightly buff it, apply Rejex, and get by for another 3 or so months … then buff again. I'd guess you were aware of the cap fade issue while shopping for your fiver. FR was aware as well of brown and grey cap fade and eventually went with the cream colored cap on Silverbacks.
Not beating the drum for FR, but you are the second owner and the fiver is 5 seasons old. As a company, where would you stop ... 2nd owner / 3rd owner … 3 years out of warranty … 5 years out of warranty? I do know instances of FR replacing the cap out of warranty, but I know of no instances where any RV company has considered a second owners sorrow.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:04 PM   #3

I am having the same issue with our 2017 Cherokee Limited 304 which also get a few hours sun on the cap in the afternoon. Wax does not last long and doesn’t put a quality shine on it. I am considering having the cap repainted at an automotive specialty shop which has done a lot of work for me in the past. I found a nice 4 foot “American Flag and Eagle” decal to replace the FR advertisement across the front.
AT-82Collectors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:05 PM   #4

I am having my front cap repainted in a shop in Wilmington NC, $2,000.00 which Cedar Creek is paying for. I am the original owner
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #5

My Surveyor showed bad fading within one year of buying it. It looked like someone threw bleach on it. I sent my dealer photos and they got the approval from FR to get it repainted. They sent me to a Truck body shop. They did a great job. I wish I had thought of getting my own graphics for it. Although the diamond plate on the lower part which was painted brown has a lot of chips from travel. I just might find paint that I can just spray on.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaB View Post
My Surveyor showed bad fading within one year of buying it. It looked like someone threw bleach on it. I sent my dealer photos and they got the approval from FR to get it repainted. They sent me to a Truck body shop. They did a great job. I wish I had thought of getting my own graphics for it. Although the diamond plate on the lower part which was painted brown has a lot of chips from travel. I just might find paint that I can just spray on.
Spray flex seal does a good job of covering road rash, just don't wax it. It will turn it white.
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #7

Faded cap

FR is repainting the cap on my Surveyor 247BHDS. I am original owner and just within the 30 month coverage for this
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #8

The front cap was replaced under warranty at eleven months, the rear cap at two years. The front cap that was replaced at the factory faded again. Now Cedar Creek is paying to have this cap repainted. The Cedar Creek is over three years old. How is that for service, Cedar Creek has been very good to me. Should I buy another camper I’ll look no farther than Cedar Creek
Old 10-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #9

We really like our camper other than the oxidation. I had little to no confidence they were going to do anything about it being I was the 2nd owner. I gave it a shot. This is not my first camper and it won't be my last. All things considered we would probably go back to Forest River when we buy our new camper. All I need is someone to recommend a shop so I don't have to go through this again.
Thanks for all of the comments
Old 10-19-2018, 11:22 PM   #10

We have a 2016 Surveyor and the endcap faded in one year. Forest River admitted it was a poor paint coating. We fought with them and they finally had it repainted. They will ignore unless you are very vocal. the paint shop was having about one per week returned for corrective action. ( Oregon)
Love my Surveyor 243RBS and it looks like new now.
Good luck with yours.
DrBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:28 PM   #11

Repaint if endcap

We have a 2016 Surveyor with a faded endcap. After one year it was chalky looking and Forest River admitted it was a faulty paint job. After numerous calls, they repainted and it looks great.(I’m in Oregon) They will ignore it if you are not vocal.

Good luck on yours.
Dr Beav
DrBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #12

Spock123, I have a Cedar Creek 2015 CkS. Original owner. Front cap fading. Who did contact to get repairs done?
Mahlstedtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #13
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Mac549, I have used RV Renovators at Main and Gilbert for some work on my dad’s rig in the past. Did a great job. do not recall how pricey or not, as it was insurance for him. Been there recently and saw some really nice paintwork.

Before they put in the Blight-Rail along main, they had a second shop called Fractured Fiberglass at Main and Alma School. Lost the shop from the rail, consolidated to the big shop. We were restoring a 69 vette they did some work for us then-great work.

Get a quote. Can’t hurt.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #14

Being the 2nd owner of our early 2016 gray Wildcat nose, FR wouldn't talk to me either about our fading cap, even though is was just over a year old at the time. With the height and radical curve of it, it was downright dangerous to attempt to buff or polish it constantly. I am really surprised there is no class action lawsuit against FR since so many are out there with this problem.

So, I bit the bullet and had it painted basecoat/clearcoat two-tone like the late 2016's and 2017's at Ruperts Auto Body in Carson City, Nevada and couldn't be happier. It wasn't cheap at $2600, but now I know it will last years with very little attention. Just keep an occasional coating of 303 vinyl protectant on the decal.

Here it is coming out of their booth...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:51 AM   #15

Hard to get a “class action” for 2nd owner of anything. FR takes care of first owners. Even after year 1. Gave me a choice on my 2015; brown or oyster (2016 color) chose oyster. Looks great; no fade. Just could not get by the brown would not re fade.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:10 AM   #16

I had good luck on my previous 5th Wheel and a Fiberglass lid for my truck with floor polish. The surface needs to be stripped of all grease and wax and then you apply the floor polish one coat at a time. It starts to shine after the the 3rd or 4th coat.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
Hard to get a “class action” for 2nd owner of anything. FR takes care of first owners. Even after year 1. Gave me a choice on my 2015; brown or oyster (2016 color) chose oyster. Looks great; no fade. Just could not get by the brown would not re fade.
There have been several original owners that had to fight to get theirs painted as well. It all depends on your dealer. I remember reading members saying they will never buy another FR product again because of it. If you buy a car new, the warranty transfers to the next owner, there is no reason these shouldn't either.

Bottom line is it was garbage gelcoat and should have been recalled by the factory, no matter who owned it within say a 3 year period. Nothing should fade as quickly as those did. The top of mine was chalky colored at 13 months old from the first year of it's life in the sun.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #18

My dealer didn’t do a thing, I called Cedar Creek. My Cedar Creek is three years old. I want to buy another Cedar Creek, a 36CK2. I have to talk to Orvan Fry about something, I’ll go by his place on the way to Alaska next year. The factory has been very good to us
Old 10-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #19

Interesting topic, as I am interested in a 2016 29RE that is for sale. The owner had the Orvan fellow replace the cap, for the fading reason, while having other details repaired.

I wonder though, as the new cap in less than year old, how confident can one be in the replacement? Anyone in that boat? No. 2 fading, yet???
VaughnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:07 AM   #20

My second cap faded too. I have seen other cap replacements that didn’t fade. Orvan does a great job. I would bet the one he replaced doesn’t fade. Cedar Creek is paying to have this cap repainted