Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2016, 07:15 AM   #41

2015 Silverbacks ( like mine) with cap issues were built LATE 2014. Two times a fade, under warranty, offered me a new and improved?!, brown cap OR a 2016 oyster cap. I chose the latter. I am hoping it holds up well over time.
Key word: HOPING.
See ya'll at The Rally!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #42

Everyone who has a cap issue getting a new cap?
offduty11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #43

No! I went back to the factory on my own after an authorized repair 3 months prior by a super center here in Atlanta. Went because of a BR slide leak; Dometic AC in main cabin NEVER worked properly; interior trim was falling off the walls; ohh yeah; prior 3 inch direct line stress crack in gel coat right behind refer slide!
Hey, what do you expect for $60,000? Something you can actually use ? We all praise rv mfgrs regardless of brand. Perhaps the advertising is better than the products. Just like people who have Harley Davidson tattooed on their body. Belief in the BRAND exceeds the quality of the product. Yes, I own a HD Ultra and have had many others over 50 years of riding. I was in the darn HD store yesterday " look'n around" ��.
FR HAS STEPPED UP FOR US. Perhaps because I can be like that pesky rodent that keeps coming back to bug you!!
See you at The Rally!!
Old 04-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by offduty11 View Post
The simple answer is no.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #45

Spock123, we are paying the extra to get the new caps painted in Goshen the cream color that the sidewalls are. I think the mocha color will just do it again so I made a deal with them to paint them before install. I got the idea after seeing a champagne. This will be done after the rally.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
97flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:54 PM   #46

Also we are buying new thermopane Windows and slide toppers while we are there.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
Old 04-24-2016, 04:53 PM   #47

Are you all experiencing oxidation from being left out in the sun all of the time, I keep my camper inside an enclosed garage except when in use
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:25 PM   #48

Same here. Mine was built November 2014 and have not yet seen any fading. I am watching it but it only sees the sun when out camping. It has been interesting reading those having a problem. No one has ever said if they store outside or it is never covered at anytime.

Tom
2016 Ford Power Stroke F350 Lariat Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Wheel
2015 Cedar Creek 38RD Hathaway Edition
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:30 PM   #49

OMG! Aren't they made for outdoors?'

Of course most are outdoors. And if the PROCESS IN THE PREP AND APPLICATION ARE THE SAME, then, if yours is destined to fade, then it will. Just going to take longer.

Mine faded twice within 12 months ( mocha). Now, it don't take much to figure something is amuck in the build! My 2011 Keystone never faded in 4 years, in sun, ice , rain, hail, dust, environmental crud and whatever. Looked new when we traded it. It was off white.

As stated previously, we now have the oyster cap. No more mocha for me, ever, never!

My apologies for being sardonic. It cost me $$$ to go thru this repair process and a trip back to WONDERFUL INDIANA for the replacement!

Am I upset? Yes. Heading back for MORE, non cap repairs. Should not happen, NOR, be necessary!!
My unit will be tied up 3 more nights.
More unnecessary hotel expense prior to The Rally!
Old 04-24-2016, 05:52 PM   #50

Well said SilverbackMel. We full time so it is hard to store your house.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
Old 04-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flhtcui View Post
Spock123, we are paying the extra to get the new caps painted in Goshen the cream color that the sidewalls are. I think the mocha color will just do it again so I made a deal with them to paint them before install. I got the idea after seeing a champagne. This will be done after the rally.

Thanks, I'll check that out, I'll call up Denise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flhtcui View Post
Also we are buying new thermopane Windows and slide toppers while we are there.

How much does it cost to put the thermopane windows in? I already have the slide toppers on. But dual pane windows would be nice

Old 04-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #53

I was not trying to be sarcastic. I was more trying to find out if having it stored helped to not fade. Yes it probably will fade when we stay out longer. I am still trying to figure out if any built in late 2014 and 2015 are having this problem or did they solve this in 2015.

Tom
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:30 PM   #54

Just curious, what would Zep wet look wax do to a faded cap? I put Zep on my faded white exterior and it looks better than ever. Bugs alot easier to clean off and is very glossy. I'm very pleased and its so easy to put on.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:14 PM   #55

Spock123,
$4035.00 installed. When we bought this cc, it had all the options we wanted except slide toppers and thermopane Windows. That is all we got left to do on it.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
Old 04-25-2016, 06:03 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttanous View Post
I was not trying to be sarcastic. I was more trying to find out if having it stored helped to not fade. Yes it probably will fade when we stay out longer. I am still trying to figure out if any built in late 2014 and 2015 are having this problem or did they solve this in 2015.

Tom

I had the fade on a 2012 Cedar Creek 30RL that I bought new. Unless they have fixed the problem then the only way to tell is to keep the front cap checked.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #57

JohnandPandra,
The factory calls them faded. Faded is something that turns whiter with age in my opinion. What is happening to my cap is not fade but more complete deterioration. Someone here explained it as looking like cancer and I have to agree. If you put a clear wax or anything like it on that area it will make it look better but you can still see the damage. A car that the clear coat has deteriorated looks similar.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
Old 04-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antone View Post
I was cleaning the black streaks off my 2015 FR3 when I put my had on top of the front cap for balance and "what the (bleep)!" This was 2 weeks short of my 1 year. I sent pics to the dealer and FR3 warranty rep and they are taking care of it. I will revisit this string afterward and update with my full opinion.

Antone

2015 Forest River FR3 30DS - No Ragrets

Toad - 2011 Jeep Wrangler

My FR3 is in the shop for new paint, clear coat, and Maxxgard on the front cap with all new seals and decals. My unit was allegedly coated with Maxxgard, which I paid for, and it still faded 11 months into ownership of a new 2015. After I get it back, I will be calling Maxxgard to verify the selling dealer, who I have not returned to, activated the policy and didn't just pocket the extra money.

Antone

2015 Forest River FR3 30DS - No Ragrets

Toad - 2011 Jeep Wrangler
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:12 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by offduty11 View Post

Actually I am getting a new cap on the Friday before the rally. I have an 2013, 33RL with one of the bigger (gray) caps, which was out of warranty but I included pictures and my dealers warranty admin. And enough pestering they agreed to replace. They tell me the new one is painted, I sure hope so. Not sure I want the "Silverback" front decal installed cause of the severe beating it took by either the gel coat that caused this or defective decal, looks like someone took a torch to it. I sure hope it's new, I don't want a cap that came off someone else's rig and was repaired.
Cedar Creek did step up though and says they'll have it done on Friday
Just gotta stay on them with the right people on the email chain??

Old 04-28-2016, 06:44 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
So, in a last ditch effort to get some relief on my front and rear caps, I contacted Henry Sears one more time with this email:

Henry –
I was going to reply to your response immediately but I decided to wait in order to couch my message in more temperate terms.

Thank you for reminding me that my warranty had expired on 11/19/2014. That, coupled with “We respectfully decline participation in this issue” tells me that your response was approved by your legal department.

Since you were kind enough to educate me by including: “Please note that this is not a painted cap. It is gel coat”, I decided to go back and review the claim regarding “gel coat” in your Cedar Creek product brochure and found this statement that had led me to believe that “gel coat” was far superior to paint:

“Cedar Creek uses True Noble ‘Classic’ Gelcoat STANDARD on ALL units. This product is the BEST OF THE BEST on the market and is a very expensive option on other products (IF it is even offered at all). This exterior is much thicker than other products on the market. This helps our units keep their color longer without fading or discoloring.”

My unit started to deteriorate at about the 18 month point, despite regular upkeep, as recommended. At the risk of repeating myself, as I stated before, no amount of professional waxing and buffing has been successful in stopping the deterioration of the paint, er, gelcoat. You state: “it is an environmental and maintenance issue that is outside of your control”. Perhaps it is, but not 18 months after delivery. If it is, you might be better off “painting” your product line and staying as far away from gelcoat as possible.

I can understand that Forest River has no control over the environmental issues, but you had to know that a 40ft fifth wheel was destined to spend its lifespan in the wind, sun, snow and rain and that the paint, er, gel coat needed to withstand such exposure for a nominal period. Had this happened at the 5-7 year mark, I might not have reacted with much surprise. But 18 months? C’mon, man…..

Again quoting from the same brochure:

Cedar Creek Back to Basics Fact #8 – “Cedar Creek is one of the most desired used products on the market to date because of how well our product ages”

Well, now we both know better than that, don’t we? It’s a MANUFACTURING defect, Henry, plain and simple. And since I’m not the only one with this problem, I’m thinking Forest River should have recourse with the vendor for providing you with a series of defective front and rear caps, rather than trying to point the finger back at the consumer.

I was hoping your reply would have included some sort of accommodation beyond attaching a PDF from the vendor on how to maintain my RV – that’s pretty insulting

As the now fairly ticked off owner of a barely 2 year old Cedar Creek 38FL - which had an original MSRP just north of $92K - I sincerely hope there is more that can be done to rectify this situation.

All things being equal, we’re getting ready to hit the road on a 4500 mile trip in a unit that appears to have a growing cancer, front and rear. What we tell people about this very visible defect will depend entirely on what remedy Forest River deems more cost effective…….

Dan
Here is his response:

Dan-

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, our denial stands as there is no defect here and your unit’s warranty has expired with us.

I included helpful information on the email on how to keep it looking nice, not to insult you, which is the extent of the service I can provide you. This is something that can happen to anything made of this material.

Painted units are available as an option.

Thank you,

Henry Sears
Cedar Creek Warranty
Forest River, Inc
Office: 260.593.4000
Fax: 574.322.6751
Email: hsears@forestriverinc.com

So any of you that think just maybe Forest River will help with the cap issue once the petty warranty has expired.......

Well stated Master Chief! Unfortunately about 2 weeks ago I discovered the same issue with our 18 month old CC 38FL. Still waiting to hear from my dealer and FR. From what I've read... it doesn't appear FR is going to stand behind their product. Sounds like a class action might be in order.

2014 CC 38FL
2011 GMC 3500 SLT Crew DRW
Papawillie is offline   Reply With Quote