Old 04-08-2016, 10:21 PM   #31

I've always had excellent results with this:

Buff Magic

Old 04-08-2016, 11:28 PM   #32

Sounds like it is time for class action suite.

Tom
2016 Ford Power Stroke F350 Lariat Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Wheel
2015 Cedar Creek 38RD Hathaway Edition

Old 04-09-2016, 01:12 AM   #33

This fading issue has been a thorn in my side for a few years. I went through this with a Heartland product. After some prodding i was able to get them to pay for painting the front cap. A couple years later I ended up paying to paint the rear cap. It is still a problem to find a shop capable of painting it, then drag it around for estimates etc. This is a major stumbling block to my purchase of a new 36CKTS. Cedar Creek claims this issue has been resolved with a "new improved" gel coat that they currently use on all end caps starting in the 2015 model year. Yet I hear of 2015's getting painted..I refuse to purchase until I see that this issue is resolved..
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #34

Meep Meep - Dan
Excellent letter to Henry Sears and a very disappointing reply from him. Now I realize how lucky I was that my dealer got a new front cap replaced on my CC. Without knowing for sure, I think my dealer was compensated by FR for painting the cap and he ate the difference and ordered a new cap and put it on. It cost him a chunk of money but he took care of the customer. My dealer is a 300 mile round trip for me but rest assured if I purchase another RV it will be from this same dealer. Nothing was done to my rear cap but only the very top is oxidized at this time, three years out. If I keep the trailer for another few years I will eventually have to paint the rear cap myself. If the "new" front cap starts to fade again any time soon, I will head to my dealer and trade for something else. As stated by someone, it is very difficult to find an experienced repair shop that has the facility to accommodate a 13' 6" fifth wheel. I guess I will start looking for a shop now.
Good luck Dan.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:22 AM   #35

I think the "true noble classic" gel coat described by Forest River is only on the sidewalls and not the caps. While loading my kayak on my truck, which wasn't quite pulled far enough forward, the rudder slightly scratched the front cap. The scratch is about an inch long and can barely be felt with your fingers and is less than the thickness of a piece of paper. The brown scratched like a thin coat of paint, which I believe it is(I can actually scratch it further with my fingernail), and the white is showing. Now I don't really know much about fiberglass fabrication but I thought gel coat was thicker and more durable than paint. If the caps are gel coated as claimed then it's ultra thin and of far less quality than the sides... There were several Cedar Creeks where we wintered this year, most have some degree of fading on the front caps(mine doesn't, yet). Forest River can claim what they want and throw blame for it on the consumer, environment, supplier or whatever. But when they sit side by side with other older units in a campground and theirs is the one with obviously fading caps despite being obviously a newer unit, well it looks like 'buyer beware' and they get checked off the list for potential buyers. The side are beautiful, smooth, and shiny. The front caps, which is what you first look at to see the logo, look out of place, like it's several years older than the rest of the fifth wheel. It doesn't make a very favorable impression to say the least. It begs the question 'gee, I wonder what else goes wrong with those?' It's obvious there's a problem and the manufacturer hasn't stepped up to take care of it. Reputations are what you build and not what some joker on the phone tells you what they are. Forest River needs to step up and take care of it's customers instead of making them feel like now that they have their unit they're on their own.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #36

Don't get me wrong I like the 36CKTS and I would like to get one but with that being said with the troubles I have had with cap fade on two Cedar Creek's I'll have to think about it. I think they fixed the cap fade on the Siverback's, now they sport a white cap or its lighter in color

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #37

Oh yes we are taking the Creek to Alaska this year from NC and the cap looks like it's 20 years old instead of only 15 months. It will be October before it goes back to the factory for cap replacement

Old 04-09-2016, 03:42 PM   #38

goduc-
No I didn't get the 2 yr warranty. I have an extended 7 year but that isn't the point. If you have as many units with the same problem just after 12 months you call that a defect. We can't let company's hide behind wording like that.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:18 AM   #39

Update: looks like we are getting new caps!!!! Yeah
Old 04-24-2016, 06:48 AM   #40

That's great. I just hope the cap I get does not fade for a long time