Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 07:25 PM   #61

I hope something happens. The cap fading issue is the only thing that stands between us getting a new 36ckts. I just won't deal with it again. had the problem on my current SOB. If I can find another product with the same features in the same size and price range it might be so long Cedar Creek...
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:04 PM   #62

Pwrstrknpapa,
Tell them you want a oyster color on the 2016's. It'll make your trailer unique.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
97flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:49 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flhtcui View Post
Pwrstrknpapa,
Tell them you want a oyster color on the 2016's. It'll make your trailer unique.

Yes, but I suspect the conversations in campgrounds would go from" oh man, what happened that looks like crap, who makes that rig?" To, " that's a odd color combination, who makes rig?" " psst,that looks like crap?"
Haha!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-29-2016, 08:18 PM   #64

On my cc they are giving us new caps so we are paying to have them painted the same color as the cream sides. I think it will look different.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
Old 04-29-2016, 08:35 PM   #65

Light color

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flhtcui View Post
On my cc they are giving us new caps so we are paying to have them painted the same color as the cream sides. I think it will look different.
Mine looks GREAT! Good luck on your change. Ours will be likely the only 2015, Silverback, with 2016 Oyster cap at THE RALLY..we only have a front cap.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:53 AM   #66

Hey SilverbackMel,
Thank you and yours is gonna look great. When they came out with the new caps and color for the silverbacks I thought that really looks good. Are you getting the new decal package for it too?
Kodiak Disc Brakes
Old 04-30-2016, 12:57 AM   #67

Also come by and say hey. We will be the Cedar creek with 2 tone front cap. Grey on the top and mocha on the bottom. I am losing 1 in a month in color so I figure it will be half way down the front by the time we get there.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
Old 04-30-2016, 07:34 AM   #68

I'm hoping to be the Silverback at the rally with the original color, perfect as it came out of the factory??
Denice tells me because they can't get the gray gel coat caps anymore there primed and painted to match original, then clear coated.
Time will tell I guess!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-30-2016, 07:51 AM   #69

? 97fltcui

Harley man? My rv is DONE, with oyster color cap. Loving it! Liked the "mocha" which drew us to the Silverback at a show in West Palm Beach, but 2 fades and DONE!! Yes, has 2016 lettering decal. You will know my unit because it still has the smaller "bear" side wall decals.

I have a 2005 Ultra Classic bought new. Blue Sunglow. Been riding for 55 years. Need to quit, but, not accepting it yet. Getting close! Wife JUST decided to quit this year. 1700 Yamaha. Been all over the USA over the years.

Trying to park with The Creekers this year. ( requested ) will be there morning of the 14th. Having NEW ROOF put on 2 days prior!!

My truck is a bright red Dodge with vet plate (Georgia) and HD decal on slider window.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #70

Yep, I quit riding in 2011 cause my balance was getting bad. We will be looking for y'all.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
Old 09-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdrj5 View Post
Has anyone attempted to use Wipe New Recolor ( Amazon.com - Wipe New Rust-oleum R6PCRTLKIT Recolor Paint Restorer with Wipe-On Applicator - ) on their oxidized caps? Over the winter I purchased all of the sanding and buffing stuff to do the job as Forest River has specified it should be done. ( a 4 hour job )

I did a small area around the "Cedar" decal today to see how the Recolor worked. It removed the oxidation and left the area a dark brown again. Naturally it will still need to be buffed out to polish it up and will probably need a UV protector sealant applied as well.

Just curious as to the results of anyone using it.

Thanks,
Don
I did as Forest River suggested for oxidized front and rear caps. Oxidation has come back in less then two months. One of the customer service told me there was a problem from manufacture and that they would replace cap at factory. I than told them I was the second owner. Then FR said they would not change cap. 2014 Cedar Creek
skidboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:02 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
Our caps started oxidizing at about the 18 month mark as well. Spent nearly $400 on a professional rub/buff/wax at the 20 month mark. Looked good for about 6-8 weeks, then pretty much back to where it was. Contacted Forest River to see what could be done. Here's the response:

Daniel-

I do see what you are referring to here. Please note that this is not a painted cap. It is gel coat. I have attached the vendor’s maintenance recommendation guide for your reference. Unfortunately, it is an environmental and maintenance issue that is outside of our control. Your warranty expired on, 11/19/2014. We respectfully decline participation in this issue.

Thank you,

Henry Sears
Cedar Creek Warranty
Forest River, Inc

Office: 260.593.4000
Fax: 574.322.6751
Email: hsears@forestriverinc.com

Bottom line: it's the vendors fault and here's what the vendor recommends you do to properly maintain and/or rejuvenate the gel coat (attached PDF)

So sad it has to be like this because we were extremely pleased with the unit and Forest River up to this point
Henry,
As we have corresponded there E-mail about our front and rear caps oxidation problem. All of these posts about the problem would show as your employee stated that your caps came from manufacturer defective! Greg P.S. I'm still waiting for a reply from your manager
skidboot is offline   Reply With Quote