Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #1

Another Front Cap Oxidation Thread

Has anyone attempted to use Wipe New Recolor ( Amazon.com - Wipe New Rust-oleum R6PCRTLKIT Recolor Paint Restorer with Wipe-On Applicator - ) on their oxidized caps? Over the winter I purchased all of the sanding and buffing stuff to do the job as Forest River has specified it should be done. ( a 4 hour job )

I did a small area around the "Cedar" decal today to see how the Recolor worked. It removed the oxidation and left the area a dark brown again. Naturally it will still need to be buffed out to polish it up and will probably need a UV protector sealant applied as well.

Just curious as to the results of anyone using it.

Thanks,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:15 AM   #2

Almost sounds too easy, but hope it works. I will say one thing about the Forest River sanding and buffing, IT WILL NOT WORK. After mine was done it looked good for about three weeks then the oxidation reappeared.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdrj5 View Post
Has anyone attempted to use Wipe New Recolor ( Amazon.com - Wipe New Rust-oleum R6PCRTLKIT Recolor Paint Restorer with Wipe-On Applicator - ) on their oxidized caps? Over the winter I purchased all of the sanding and buffing stuff to do the job as Forest River has specified it should be done. ( a 4 hour job )

I did a small area around the "Cedar" decal today to see how the Recolor worked. It removed the oxidation and left the area a dark brown again. Naturally it will still need to be buffed out to polish it up and will probably need a UV protector sealant applied as well.

Just curious as to the results of anyone using it.

Thanks,
Don
It is my understanding that the product comes with a UV protector in it. If not you can go over the area with 303 areo, which has a great UV protector in it. You can get that at amazon to. I use that on my decals for protection...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:08 PM   #4

JMO but anything other than repainting is a waste of time. Once the gel coat starts to oxidize it will never stay shiny for very long. Unlike boats which can be brought back to life, the RV fiberglass caps are made with an inferior gel coating process.
Painting is the only long term solution.
Many other brands have had the front cap oxidation problems and no one has found a good way to bring the shine and color back permanently except for painting.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #5

I use a product called rejex on my fiberglass boat and have been doing so for the last few years. No fading and nothing sticks to it also has uv protection. My Silverback is only a year old so I can't say how it may or may not help with the fading but I just applied the 2016 coat to the cap this past weekend.
offduty11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #6

Not to sound negative but I used Rejex on the front cap on our 2013 and it still faded and now my rear is fading.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #7

You maybe right, time will tell. Just had it a year this month. When did most owners start to notice the fading?
Old 03-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #8

Mine was about 18 months on the front. Faces the sun 90% of the time.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:01 PM   #9

Mine was about ten months, the second one to fade. Cedar Creek is going to replace the cap

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:28 PM   #10

My unit is shaded most of the day but the way my luck runs if it's gonna fade it will happen after the warranty.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:31 PM   #11

Have my '16 on order, wondering if there is anything that will work to be proactive?
AandJWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:45 PM   #12

I have an early 2016 silverback 29 re. Took delivery March of 2015. The later 2016's have a lighter color not the darker brown.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by offduty11 View Post
You maybe right, time will tell. Just had it a year this month. When did most owners start to notice the fading?
We purchased our 2014 CC 34 RLSA on May 31, 2013 is was around 14 months when I noticed the top of the front cap starting to oxidize. It probably started earlier but I had not been on the roof to see. It then slowly started to creep down the entire front.

Picture taken Sept. 23, 2014.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:45 AM   #14

My 30RL Cedar Creek started about 12 months after I bought it. Tom Johnson wanted to sand the cap and repaint the cap, Forest River wanted to pay for only 4 hours. Tom Johnson wanted to send the camper to a paint shop but Forest River would not pay for that. I traded that camper for a 32RL Cedar Creek and at 10 months the cap started to fade, Cedar Creek said if I brought the camper to the factory they would replace the cap. It's a long drive from North Carolina but I'm retired now so it will just be a trip. Maybe I can get them to fix something else while I'm there

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:43 PM   #15
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Our caps started oxidizing at about the 18 month mark as well. Spent nearly $400 on a professional rub/buff/wax at the 20 month mark. Looked good for about 6-8 weeks, then pretty much back to where it was. Contacted Forest River to see what could be done. Here's the response:

Daniel-

I do see what you are referring to here. Please note that this is not a painted cap. It is gel coat. I have attached the vendor’s maintenance recommendation guide for your reference. Unfortunately, it is an environmental and maintenance issue that is outside of our control. Your warranty expired on, 11/19/2014. We respectfully decline participation in this issue.

Thank you,

Henry Sears
Cedar Creek Warranty
Forest River, Inc

Office: 260.593.4000
Fax: 574.322.6751
Email: hsears@forestriverinc.com

Bottom line: it's the vendors fault and here's what the vendor recommends you do to properly maintain and/or rejuvenate the gel coat (attached PDF)

So sad it has to be like this because we were extremely pleased with the unit and Forest River up to this point
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gelcoat Maintenance.pdf (152.6 KB, 226 views)
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:49 PM   #16

Time to let the CEO know your displeasure. Guarantee he will assign someone to take care of. Might touch base with trailer life. Might be time to expose this practice for all to see. I am sure Forest River will not want this publicity in the magazine for all to see.

Tom
2016 Ford Power Stroke F350 Lariat Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Wheel
2015 Cedar Creek 38RD Hathaway Edition
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
Our caps started oxidizing at about the 18 month mark as well. Spent nearly $400 on a professional rub/buff/wax at the 20 month mark. Looked good for about 6-8 weeks, then pretty much back to where it was. Contacted Forest River to see what could be done. Here's the response:

Daniel-

I do see what you are referring to here. Please note that this is not a painted cap. It is gel coat. I have attached the vendor’s maintenance recommendation guide for your reference. Unfortunately, it is an environmental and maintenance issue that is outside of our control. Your warranty expired on, 11/19/2014. We respectfully decline participation in this issue.

Thank you,

Henry Sears
Cedar Creek Warranty
Forest River, Inc

Office: 260.593.4000
Fax: 574.322.6751
Email: hsears@forestriverinc.com

Bottom line: it's the vendors fault and here's what the vendor recommends you do to properly maintain and/or rejuvenate the gel coat (attached PDF)

So sad it has to be like this because we were extremely pleased with the unit and Forest River up to this point
Now this is strange to me, If I remember right a long time ago when this problem began they said they were not gel coated caps but painted? When you make a gel coat repair you add a color to the gel coat West Marine has a system to do that to match the color you are repairing such as for deep gouges and stuff. What I remember is that FR claimed they were painted caps. Gel Coat should not fade it will oxidize and turn hazy but it will come back because it is pure gel coat and color go's through the whole gel coat. So now I'm confused with there statement. Why isn't this happening to the older units that are white, you would also notice it on white such as a boat sitting in the sun at a dock. There is truly something wrong with this. I'm sure with the darker color it will attract more heat but it still should hold up. I have seen very old boats that where repainted with an epoxy paint. I'm not sure what kinda of paint FR were repainting them with, but then that would only be a bandaid fix IMO. I would also be mad being that a person should not have this problem on a new unit, just out of warranty. This is a problem for FR that they do not want to admit. I know of others even on this forum that wax there units as recommended and still had the problem, so I think I would rule out non-maintenance that is causing the problem. I would take it to a marine repair facility and see what they say about the problem. Good Luck sorry to hear about your problem and FR will not help you out. I know of 10 year old boats with a very dark blue hauls and things and it's not happening to there gel-coats, something is just wrong with there process, but that's just my opinion...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Now this is strange to me, If I remember right a long time ago when this problem began they said they were not gel coated caps but painted?
Could it be whatever way the wind blows?

It sounds like they were "painted" when that reinforced their position, but now "gel coated" as that reinforces the position at this point in time?

If it is gel coated its defective just as you say, and your 100% correct on the boat comment. I have owned my share of money holes in water which took abuse outside for years and never faded. Whoever the vendor is making these things is simply doing it cheaply with cheap materials. Its nothing new, or limited to Forest River. Go over to the Keystone, Jayco, Heartland, or other mfg boards and posts abound with faded cap issues and have for years.

I suspect if you raise enough stink you'll eventually get some type of help with it, but when does the time spent and aggravation involved cross the line over to throwing good money after bad?
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:47 AM   #19

It's no different than the other stuff that RV MFGs cheap out on. It's all about keeping within their set price point. Start adding things like Bose sound systems, LT tires, Samsung TVs, etc and soon they've priced themselves out of their intended market.
Only MFG that I've read about that has steeped up the most is Jayco. Maybe because they're having problems with the dark brown caps that seem to fade sooner. Since they also offer a 2 year warranty they seem to be having lots of them painted. Wouldn't happen with owners that only have a 1 year warranty.
Most the fading seems to be in the 2nd year or more.
This another good reason to get the extra 1 year warranty added.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #20

So if I buy a new 2016 silverback with a light colored front cap. Is this going to be a problem that I need to worry about? Had a brand new rinker 27 ft boat . The entire blue gel coat on this boat and every blue hull they sold that year turned white. There was no fix for it. I sold the boat and I think rinker went OOB because of the lawsuits from owners wanting the problem fixed . I don't want to deal with this problem again
litespan46 is offline   Reply With Quote