Old 03-27-2016, 07:38 PM   #1

Another Front Cap Oxidation Thread

Has anyone attempted to use Wipe New Recolor ( Amazon.com - Wipe New Rust-oleum R6PCRTLKIT Recolor Paint Restorer with Wipe-On Applicator - ) on their oxidized caps? Over the winter I purchased all of the sanding and buffing stuff to do the job as Forest River has specified it should be done. ( a 4 hour job )

I did a small area around the "Cedar" decal today to see how the Recolor worked. It removed the oxidation and left the area a dark brown again. Naturally it will still need to be buffed out to polish it up and will probably need a UV protector sealant applied as well.

Just curious as to the results of anyone using it.

Thanks,
Don

dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:15 AM   #2

Almost sounds too easy, but hope it works. I will say one thing about the Forest River sanding and buffing, IT WILL NOT WORK. After mine was done it looked good for about three weeks then the oxidation reappeared.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdrj5 View Post
Has anyone attempted to use Wipe New Recolor ( Amazon.com - Wipe New Rust-oleum R6PCRTLKIT Recolor Paint Restorer with Wipe-On Applicator - ) on their oxidized caps? Over the winter I purchased all of the sanding and buffing stuff to do the job as Forest River has specified it should be done. ( a 4 hour job )

I did a small area around the "Cedar" decal today to see how the Recolor worked. It removed the oxidation and left the area a dark brown again. Naturally it will still need to be buffed out to polish it up and will probably need a UV protector sealant applied as well.

Just curious as to the results of anyone using it.

Thanks,
Don
It is my understanding that the product comes with a UV protector in it. If not you can go over the area with 303 areo, which has a great UV protector in it. You can get that at amazon to. I use that on my decals for protection...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:08 PM   #4

JMO but anything other than repainting is a waste of time. Once the gel coat starts to oxidize it will never stay shiny for very long. Unlike boats which can be brought back to life, the RV fiberglass caps are made with an inferior gel coating process.
Painting is the only long term solution.
Many other brands have had the front cap oxidation problems and no one has found a good way to bring the shine and color back permanently except for painting.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #5

I use a product called rejex on my fiberglass boat and have been doing so for the last few years. No fading and nothing sticks to it also has uv protection. My Silverback is only a year old so I can't say how it may or may not help with the fading but I just applied the 2016 coat to the cap this past weekend.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #6

Not to sound negative but I used Rejex on the front cap on our 2013 and it still faded and now my rear is fading.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #7

You maybe right, time will tell. Just had it a year this month. When did most owners start to notice the fading?
Old 03-29-2016, 02:12 PM   #8

Mine was about 18 months on the front. Faces the sun 90% of the time.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:01 PM   #9

Mine was about ten months, the second one to fade. Cedar Creek is going to replace the cap

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #10

My unit is shaded most of the day but the way my luck runs if it's gonna fade it will happen after the warranty.