Old 02-17-2015, 08:25 AM   #11

Like someone else said keep your FW to around 35' and your truck to a short bed even if you choose a crew cab like I have. We stay in state parks more then we stay in private campgrounds. You do have to be aware of lower trees and get good at backing between trees. But other then that it works.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #12

Forget National Parks. Two years ago we camped in Arcadia National Park in Bar Harbor, Maine. We had a 35 ft Sabre, height 12'6" - they told us on the phone and at registration that we would fit in the site they gave us. When we got there my husband said, "you have a choice, it's either the slideout or the awning, can't have both!" Of course it was slideout. Because of the way he had to level it, the overhang was so high up we could sit underneath it. One morning we actually saw a large MH going down the road who "shaved" his awning right off the MH!! The trees were right on the edge of the road, of course NP are "tree hugger" people and they will not cut them down!! So that's my 2 cents, ha ha!

nikita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #13
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita View Post
Forget National Parks. Two years ago we camped in Arcadia National Park in Bar Harbor, Maine. We had a 35 ft Sabre, height 12'6" - they told us on the phone and at registration that we would fit in the site they gave us. When we got there my husband said, "you have a choice, it's either the slideout or the awning, can't have both!" Of course it was slideout. Because of the way he had to level it, the overhang was so high up we could sit underneath it. One morning we actually saw a large MH going down the road who "shaved" his awning right off the MH!! The trees were right on the edge of the road, of course NP are "tree hugger" people and they will not cut them down!! So that's my 2 cents, ha ha!
Thanks for the info!
But I wouldn't rule out ALL National Parks because of one bad experience. Some have huge sites and not all have an abundance of trees!
I think no matter what type of RV we own it is prudent to research the campground as much as possible!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #14

I like National Parks, DW doesn't like campfires but other than that we love it. The military has a lot of RV campgrounds and the ones I have been too the sites are not close, the catch is you have to be retired or active but if you know someone they can get you a spot. The county I live in has a campground and rv's can get in and it has hookups. If you ever go to Niagara Falls check out Four Mile Creek campground, great campground

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #15

We live in Virginia and have camped all over the eastern US with no problem fitting our 35' fifth wheel. We don't really do any boondocking, but mostly state and local parks and even some resorts in prime locations. The only problem we have ever had was if we needed reservations at prime locations, many times, the longer sites were already reserved.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #16

We live in New Mexico and 90% of our camping is dry. We love going up into the mountains and enjoy the peace and quit. Most of the RV campsites here are small and and cramped. We have the 32RL and just love every minute of it.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:12 PM   #17

It really does depend on the types of places you want to get yourself into. I started with a class A, then moved down to a 35' 5'r, and downsized again a few years back to a 25' TT.

For me, it was all about height, weight, and length. A lot of places I like to get in to the roads just aren't built to handle those heavy rigs, negotiating corners can be a little tough, trees are often too low to get a 5'r too far in, and it's not uncommon to suddenly find yourself on a dead end landing. It's just too darn rough trying to get a 35' rig turned around. With my TT I have a tundra tire that mounts to the A frame so worst case, I can unhook, strap it on and use a winch to pretty much turn my rig around on a dime (relatively speaking).

That being said, there are a ton of great locations you CAN get into without too much trouble, but if you like the unbeaten track, a 5'r probably wouldn't be my first choice.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
It really does depend on the types of places you want to get yourself into. I started with a class A, then moved down to a 35' 5'r, and downsized again a few years back to a 25' TT.

For me, it was all about height, weight, and length. A lot of places I like to get in to the roads just aren't built to handle those heavy rigs, negotiating corners can be a little tough, trees are often too low to get a 5'r too far in, and it's not uncommon to suddenly find yourself on a dead end landing. It's just too darn rough trying to get a 35' rig turned around. With my TT I have a tundra tire that mounts to the A frame so worst case, I can unhook, strap it on and use a winch to pretty much turn my rig around on a dime (relatively speaking).

That being said, there are a ton of great locations you CAN get into without too much trouble, but if you like the unbeaten track, a 5'r probably wouldn't be my first choice.

You are right about that, DW and I like the Blue Ridge Parkway but we can't pull the C/C down it, you can you just have to dodge the tunnels. You just have to make choices. I like the C/C 32RL, it's also a lot more easy to get in Cracker Barrels

Old 02-17-2015, 04:47 PM   #19
Site Team

I'm only limited by height, width, length and where my truck can pull my fiver. The smaller it is (TT or 5er) the more secluded you can camp.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #20

Yes there is a campground in Surf City, NC that has a spot that looks out over the sound that is great, DW and I always ask for it and if it's not available we go somewhere else but you have to be 35ft or less and it has no sewer.

Tags
5th wheel, wheel