Old 02-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
Mddle of the Rd Extremist
Exclamation Auto Level / Slide Interaction

Went to hook up our new 2014 Cedar Creek 38FL to take it the dealership for some warranty work. Hit the L and R switches on the panel at the same time, per the instructions and the front feet of the 5er started retracting to get to the hook up height - and that's went everything went South. All the slides started coming out AND all the landing gear started retracting. Before I could get the OFF button mashed, the king ping was sitting on my tailgate! After gathering my wits (and cleaning out my drawers), I managed to get everything put into MANUAL and got it to the dealership. I refused to unhook without a technician present. He looked at me like I was from another planet UNTIL he tried to mash the buttons to AUTO lower the landing gear and all the slides started coming out. (His turn to dirty his skivvies). When I left, a lot of people were scratching their heads......On another note: we traded in our perfect, no issue, 2013 Flagstaff 8528IWKS on this unit. Can't believe the new CC's build quality is so inferior - but that's what warranties are all about, eh? Stay tuned....

Dan, Carolyn & The Bandit (1999-2015 RIP...)
MCPO (Retired)
United States Navy ('65 - '87)
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #2
I shall look forward to your update on this incident. I have only just purchased the very same unit but don't anticipate picking it up from the dealership until April.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #3

I ain't afraid a no ghosts!

2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
Hmmm. Sounds like debris has jammed in the control system. I noted that the system has no filter. It really should not need one, but maybe I should consider adding one.
2014 Blue Ridge 3715BH <- Read the saga
2013 Sierra 3500HD Denali CCLB DRW 4x4 Duramax w/ Reese 20K
Camped: 2016=6, 2015=9, 2014=27

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #5
Former Full Timer
It sure does sound like you have a problem with the control valve(s) since that is the only place where the slide and landing gear systems meet. Having the king pin visiting your tail gate is your bad. Those pesky warnings...
The recipe for perpetual ignorance is:
Be satisfied with your opinions
and content with your knowledge.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:37 AM   #6
Plain Old Member
Wish the slides and jacks were on separate systems. I miss my electric slides, and electric landing gear. Very easy to work on, and never a hose to break or leak. However, our hydraulic system has worked well so far. Only had one leak, and that occasional popping sound you'll read about, both of which have been addressed.

Being the slides have nothing to do with the level up controls, I'm thinking the same as Duck. We never use the return to hitch height feature. When unhooking, we usually lift enough to see a fraction of a gap between the pin box and hitch. You know the suspension is unloaded then and the back of the truck won't come up when it comes off of the hitch. When hooking up, it's usually a fraction lower than the hitch, where it will ride up onto the plate. Return to hitch height, in our case would put the pin box too high, thus having to adjust anyway. Everybody has their own way of doing it. This feature is a useless to us as 1) 99% of the time you have to tweak anyway, 2) allows wife to have a turn with it while I'm in the truck.

Times have changed. I remember years ago seeing a mod for return to hitch height. Guy had mounted a tape measure to the side of the pin box. Unhitched, scoped the tape measure down to the ground and recorded measurement. When hooking up, lift the front of fifth wheel a little high, run tape measure down to recorded measurement and lock, lower pin box until tape measure tagged ground. Perfect every time. Zero failure rate this way. What would we do without automatic everything? It would actually work all the time.

Staying tuned to see the fix for yours.
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:01 AM   #7
I to have noticed that when hitting the two buttons to return to hitch height mine goes too high because when disconnecting I lift off the 5th plate about and 1/8-1/4" and pull truck out. I always have to drop mine down from that height some when rehitching. Overall I do like the auto level controller.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #8
Waiting to hear the results of this one... I have reviewed the schematics and plumbing from LCI and can not understand how this would have happened... but those electrical gremlins can be interesting. (or fluid gremlins)...

We use return to hitch height most of the time. Due to the slope in the driveway it is disabled as the hitch height is far below level.
Walter & Donna
2011 CC LB RAM 3500 CTD 6.7L DRW
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL
2014 Days Camping: 35

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
I use to mash the two buttons at the same time, now I never, the level up was always high anyway. Now I just use one button at the time, I heard somewhere that the level up would always be a little high when you were ready to hook up, I heard that was the way the factory set it up. Good luck with the new Cedar Creek, ours has been great
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:37 AM   #10
Plain Old Member
Dan, were you ever able to resolve the issues with the landing gear and slides?

John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote