Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #1

Autoslider hitches

Looking at both Pullrite and Demco autoslider hitches for 2019 F350 short bed to pull a 2019 38EL. F350 has factory 5th wheel prep and Trail Air pinbox. Looking for comments on both.
Airedale3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #2

You may not need a slider hitch. A lot of the new fivers have contoured fronts that allow using short bed trucks with conventional hitches. I do not have a slider and have never come close to hitting the cab.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammin View Post
You may not need a slider hitch. A lot of the new fivers have contoured fronts that allow using short bed trucks with conventional hitches. I do not have a slider and have never come close to hitting the cab.
That worth looking into. The autosliders are pretty expensive.
Airedale3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammin View Post
You may not need a slider hitch.
Is there a way to determine this before purchase of either hitch or 5er?

Im going to be in the same boat in probably a year.

Mike
Old 12-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #5

Probably best to check with the 5er manufacturer and ask them about the maximum turning angle. My dealer told me mine was around 85 degrees which is more than I would want to do because the tires would be sliding sideways at that angle. I tested it once backing into my driveway and when I reached my max comfort angle I still had a ways to go before I would have hit the cab.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:07 PM   #6

I have the pullrite set up. I got mine just to have a peace of mind. Do I really think I need it? Probably not but again it’s the peace of mind that I get. I think it’s worth the few extra dollars to go with the slider over conventional IMO.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyhop View Post
I have the pullrite set up. I got mine just to have a peace of mind. Do I really think I need it? Probably not but again it’s the peace of mind that I get. I think it’s worth the few extra dollars to go with the slider over conventional IMO.

Same here!!!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #8

Other alternatives to heavy, large, cumbersome, fifth wheel slider systems for 6.5' beds: Sidewinders and Anderson.

I pulled for years with a standard hitch and a short bed. You have to be ever vigilant, which is fine if you only travel a few times a year. After buying a Sidewinder I'm amazed how much more relaxed I am when parking. Never have to worry about angles or cab to fiver distances.

I went with sidewinder as I watched too many of my friends fancy sliders bind in boondocking conditions.

There are better alternatives to sliders.........
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale3 View Post
Looking at both Pullrite and Demco autoslider hitches for 2019 F350 short bed to pull a 2019 38EL. F350 has factory 5th wheel prep and Trail Air pinbox. Looking for comments on both.
I have the Demco Glide Autoslider hitch. This hitch is great since you do not need a capture plate with the Demco Glide hitch. This was the main reason I purchase this brand. There are to looking bars on the side of the hitch head that are pushed in to capture the TrailAir pin box.

I would defiantly get a sliding hitch either manual or auto. With a short box truck you will never know when you need this style of hitch until it is too late.
All it takes is just one time and the truck could have a small dent in the rear pillar of the cab and a rear window blown out.

Better to be safe than sorry that you did not purchase the sliding hitch.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:02 AM   #10

We had a Pullrite slider hitch in our F350 regular bed and it worked great. Never worried about hitting the cab. They are big and heavy, so you probably won't be taking them in and out of the truck bed too often though. Yes, it takes a capture plate, but it's only a large allen bolt to remove if needed. On a side note, we were in an accident in Sept, where someone slammed their brakes on in front of us. We slammed ours but couldn't stop in time. Totalled our truck and theirs. Although the hitch was damaged, what was truly amazing was that the hitch held and probably saved us from having a 14,000 lb trailer come through the back window and kill us. Moved up to a dually, so didn't need a slider, but would have bought one again in a heartbeat.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #11

Pullrite

15 worry free years using my Pullrite 16K Superglide.

Only 5th wheel hitch I've ever owned.

Glad I did it right the first time

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #12

I have the Demco and when backing into my driveway I need 90 degrees. It also has 3 vertical adjustments that I don't think Pullrite has. Demco is a good company with great customer service.
2017 Ford F350 SRW CC SWB 4x2
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k Hitch
sh1pper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:43 AM   #13

I have a manual slider and only used it twice in 13 years, two different trailers. Our new Wildcat has enough set back that I can go 90+ without hitting. I'd check the particular trailer you're buying before committing. The sliders are VERY heavy.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, slide