Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #1

Auxiliary satellite input connections?

I have the King tailgater CC factory installed on the roof with auxiliary inputs for a portable unit in the wet bay. When my roof satellite is blocked by an obstruction and I hookup my portable King satellite to the auxiliary inputs, it seems to default to the roof mounted unit. King told me I would have to have a separate cable to the Wally for the auxiliary to work. I know you can't use a splitter but surely the factory would not have wired the auxiliary if it wouldn't work. I called CC and talked to Morgan and her answer was to go to a dealer and their CERTIFIED techs could answer my question about the factory wiring. I asked for the warranty/service manager(believe Denise) and she assured me that both of them would call me back after lunch. Surprisingly this didn't happen even after I called back and left a reminder after lunch.

The factory is the only one that would know what cable connections might be in the walls. My experience with most dealer techs is that their last job was mowing grass (at least with Camping World). I am mightily disappointed that one of two customer service people at CC has never owned nor camped in an RV, and her only answer to a problem is to contact a dealer per her instructions from the boss. What a disappointment!
2017 Ford F350 SRW CC SWB 4x2
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k Hitch
Shipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:44 AM   #2

CC and most other Divisions of FR have been instructed to push complaints and requests for parts back to Dealers. I don't like it, but that's it.

The Factory surely MIGHT have wired coax just about any way possible. These guys don't own televisions. This is one area that is never the same from one trailer to the next, even on two right next to each other on the assembly line.

I have a roof mounted Travl'r and also have the portable dish I keep if I get stuck in a long term site that's full of trees. So I have somewhat similar problem.

When I switch from roof mounted Dish to the Portable, I have to change the coax connection to the receiver. Both of those cables......one originating on the roof, and the other originating in the wet bay (the wet bay is where I connect the portable dish to)......come to the same plate inside the compartment next to tv. That area has an F connector, female, for both of those cables, but they are not the same.

SO, I have to disconnect the receiver from the one going to the roof, and reconnect it to the one coming from the wet bay. I have to get the receiver to either see the roof mounted antenna OR the portable.........and both have to be home runs between the respective dish and the receiver.

The factory isn't going to know squat about this. I have yet to see a Dealer that knew even a tiny bit about it. You have to get help from someone that understands it. And trust me, it took my pea brain THREE years to figure it out. And I'm lucky that I can trace my coax correctly, all color coded. I think I'm the odd one, because most are not done right, or are loose, etc.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
When I switch from roof mounted Dish to the Portable, I have to change the coax connection to the receiver. Both of those cables......one originating on the roof, and the other originating in the wet bay (the wet bay is where I connect the portable dish to)......come to the same plate inside the compartment next to tv. That area has an F connector, female, for both of those cables, but they are not the same.

SO, I have to disconnect the receiver from the one going to the roof, and reconnect it to the one coming from the wet bay. I have to get the receiver to either see the roof mounted antenna OR the portable.........and both have to be home runs between the respective dish and the receiver.
Thanks for the reply! I have a single coax connecting to a plate and my Wally. I would have to remove the two screws holding the plate to see how the two antenna cables (if both are there) are connected to some type of three way connector. I know it can't be a splitter because King says that wouldn't work. If both cables are available behind the plate then it seems an A-B switch would work. How do you disconnect the cable going to the Traveler and connect the portable? Are both cables visible without removing the plate? Thanks again for any reply...
Old 07-28-2019, 06:41 PM   #4

Sorry for the delay.

I couldn't think how to answer in words only. So see attached pic.

Currently, my DirecTV receiver is connected to the port that says "Satellite Dish Hookup". That goes through separate coax cabling to the roof and connects to my Travl'er.

The other F connecter that is in use is the one that connects to the TV for either OTA or Campsite Cable. I never use Campsite Cable, but do use OTA all the time. That's why the booster light is on. It stays on.

Above it is the empty F connector spot, labeled "Aux/Sat". That connector goes directly to the wet bay where the 3 connections are. Mine says "Main". And yes, I did unscrew the plates in wet bay, and the ones in picture, just a little......to see what color cables were used. Luckily, they used different colored coax (gray, orange, black, I think). So I could figure out which one was which.

If I want to use the portable dish, I simply unscrew the coax from receiver, that is connected in the picture to the Sat Dish Hookup port, and screw it in to the one that says "Aux/Sat". That's the one that terminates in the MAIN in wet bay. Then I run cable outside on ground between portable dish and wet bay. Then my Portable Sat works and not the Roof Trav'ler. I do not have to mess with settings for Dish or LNB type, both/either just work.

We don't make calls to Direct. I'd rather eat skunk meat at midnight. If we want OTA/Network shows (like Super Bowl), we just take the TV remote (not the Direct remote) and change source to TV, scan channels, and voila. Only downside is we can't record OTA shows. Oh well.

Holler if you have more questions. I realize not all trailers look alike, yours may be a bit different. But should be similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sat Connection.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	211018  

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 07-29-2019, 03:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Above it is the empty F connector spot, labeled "Aux/Sat". That connector goes directly to the wet bay where the 3 connections are. Mine says "Main". And yes, I did unscrew the plates in wet bay, and the ones in picture, just a little......to see what color cables were used. Luckily, they used different colored coax (gray, orange, black, I think). So I could figure out which one was which.

If I want to use the portable dish, I simply "unscrew the coax from receiver", that is connected in the picture to the Sat Dish Hookup port, and screw it in to the one that says "Aux/Sat". That's the one that terminates in the MAIN in wet bay. Then I run cable outside on ground between portable dish and wet bay. Then my Portable Sat works and not the Roof Trav'ler. I do not have to mess with settings for Dish or LNB type, both/either just work.
Did you mean to "unscrew the coax from the Satellite Dish hookup port" instead of receiver? If so, then I understand how and mine is the same way. Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipper View Post
Did you mean to "unscrew the coax from the Satellite Dish hookup port" instead of receiver? If so, then I understand how and mine is the same way. Thanks again!

Well duh. Yeah.

How about "Unscrew the coax that is coming from the receiver from its CURRENT spot and hook it up at the Aux/Sat port."

LOL

Or your way, which is better.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 07-29-2019, 06:20 PM   #7

Mine is the same. I also have a direct coax run from the LR to the BR.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:42 PM   #8

AB switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipper View Post
Thanks for the reply! I have a single coax connecting to a plate and my Wally. I would have to remove the two screws holding the plate to see how the two antenna cables (if both are there) are connected to some type of three way connector. I know it can't be a splitter because King says that wouldn't work. If both cables are available behind the plate then it seems an A-B switch would work. How do you disconnect the cable going to the Traveler and connect the portable? Are both cables visible without removing the plate? Thanks again for any reply...
There are a bunch of AB switches on eBay and some on Amazon, too. All would work in a wet bay. A few of the eBay ones could be mounted behind a panel in living space.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Archer-A-B-...ty!27612!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Video-Coaxi...ss!27612!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Philmore-De...kAAOSwsO5cPFTv
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #9
Hawksclaw554

I get nothing but a crap signal on the factory sat/aux connection. My solution instead of running cable through the window direct is as follows. I bought a bronze weatherproof box cover at hole depot with a rectangular cut out. I bought a rectangular coax plate to go in it. Next I drilled a hole from the shelf under the tv thru the outside wall. Fed a 3 ft RG-6 cable to the new inlet. Other end connects to Wally power inserter. My Rockwood is the taupe color with bronze color stripes etc so box matches. Now I have a direct connection to my Wally. Without going thru a bunch of splitters God knows where. Also random a separate hdmi cable from 2nd hdmi input on tv into shellf area for Wally. Blows my mind that they have only a coax connect to tv and no hdmi
Hawksclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite