Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 07:18 PM   #1

AWNING

[B]Has anybody had problems with their automatic awning with metal case. The one I have has to be pulled slightly by hand on the left side. It seems to be locking up trying to get out of the case. It doesn't take much to pull it, but it shouldn't be this way. ANY IDEAS FOR A FIX? No problem putting it back in.

Thanks

UK/B]
Utah Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #2

Spray lubricant helped mine. Seems it was catching a little bit before that

2006 Chevy 2500HD
2017 Cedar Creek 34RE
brownm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:44 PM   #3

Thanks, I guess I should have said I tried that, didn't help.

UT
Utah Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #4

You might search the forum there has been a thread on this exact issue most of us have had that issue. Mine went away after several months of use.

Tom
2016 Ford Power Stroke F350 Lariat Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Wheel
2015 Cedar Creek 38RD Hathaway Edition
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #5

Yes there are a thread or two on this and mine has done it since I bought it in October and had dealer do something twice with no results still hangs. From what I have read seems to be a common issue with Dometic which from my experiences is a less then quality minded company to say the least. Good luck and hope you have some success
hughd033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:41 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Deploy it and then center the material on the tube, run it in and out a couple of times and then make sure it is centered and then pop rivet it thru the hem on both ends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pop Rivet in Awning.JPG
Views:	671
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	116401  
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:56 PM   #7

If I understand you, your saying the hardware is hanging up? If so what has happened is your cheap arms got a little twisted. You can realign the way it folds up with a few pushes on it when extended. That's if I understand your problem correctly, been known to be wrong before, But mine will hang up from now and then. It just gets that pop metal tweaked now and then..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

99.99% of the time it is due to the material not being centered on the tube.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #9

X2 on centering material

2016 Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
2008 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #10

Centering the material fixed mine ( just like Old Coot suggested )
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:54 PM   #11

I'll have to say that is the first thing the dealer tried but to no avail. Still hangs on one side from time to time and this is also after new struts and some kind of supposed helper bumpers as well as enough lube to do a change on my diesel. Based upon so many people with the same issue and same supplier Dometic I would say more of an issue with the product but that could just be coincidence.
hughd033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:00 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughd033 View Post
I'll have to say that is the first thing the dealer tried but to no avail. Still hangs on one side from time to time and this is also after new struts and some kind of supposed helper bumpers as well as enough lube to do a change on my diesel. Based upon so many people with the same issue and same supplier Dometic I would say more of an issue with the product but that could just be coincidence.
Once it is centered, it has to be pop riveted, otherwise it will slip to the side again.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughd033 View Post
My material is centered and pop riveted down on both ends, even both awnings. Mine will still hang up The only way I can correct it is by pushing it over so the cap go's over the rail attached to the trailer ( the part the motor is attached to). It always hangs on the side that I tilt it to, so Maybe I'm tilting the cheap arms to much. Once I push it over it rolls all the way in. That's my experience with it hanging up and not closing over the channel attached to the unit. It will stick out on one side about 11/2" to 2" never measured it. It's easy to tweak those arms I have found.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning