Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #1

back from Hershey RV show...looking at SB vs Open Range

Hi

Wife and I just returned from Hershey RV show and wow!,....we were looking two kids in an all you can eat candy store!!......while we were leaning towards the Open Range....we are now looking at SB for our FIRST Fifth Wheel and wanted opinions on SB.

We like the 29IK or 29RE.....both beautiful !!

A bit about us.....we have camped for 16 years starting from pop-up to TT and now on to bigger and better....!

Just bought our first truck....3500 Silverado HD....Vroom Vroom!

Weight not as much an issue as length..trying to stay under 38 feet due to backyard driveway.

Thank you for insight!

David and Sandra
cats4nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #2

You probably found out the Silverback just got a complete updating this summer, with lots of upgrades, and are looking more and more like their big sister, the Cedar Creek.

A camping friend of mine has a 2012 Open Range 413RLL, he does not like the 4-20lb propane bottles, and he hates the entry door system that lacks an independant screen door for full ventilation.

We owned a 2007 Cedar Creek for four years and found the build quality very good, the resale value is excellent, and customer service and factory support is outstanding. We tried to go back to Cedar Creek this year, but they stopped building the 36B4 in July.
Flintstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #3

We just got home as well. Wife fell in love with the Columbus 365RL
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #4

Just came home from Hershey RV Show as well we like the Big Sky and the Mobile Suites, the tow vehicle I have will not tow either one. We did buy a new 2013 Open Range Light 97LRS last year at the Hershey show and so far it has been great. We still look at the Rock Woods because we really like there floor plan but we have had some bad luck with them. Had great weather for the show on Saturday and Sunday and from all of the "SOLD" signs I saw it seems to be a great show.....Happy Camping to all who have bought new campers.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Curious if any of you at the Show saw the Grand Design Reflection and Solitude.

Was sandwiched between the 2 Open Range displays.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #6

I did. They are nice and the open floor plan is what opened us up to other options besides a bunkhouse model.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #7

Isnt Grand Design a fairly new Forest River product....we talked to the company owners and this is their new design.....they were very nice and the price reflected the 'new-ness' of the product.

We are liking the Silverback ......so confusing....so many designs!!!

and yes, great weather friday and saturday while we were there.
cats4nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #8

My choice would be the SB but I own a Cedar Creek, have looked at the Open Range but just never really took a liking to them, nothing against them they do look nice just never seemed to WOW me, good luck on your choice and if you decide on the SB I have had good luck at Stoltzfus in Adamstown Pa, they have been good to deal with and service has been good also.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats4nat View Post
Isnt Grand Design a fairly new Forest River product....we talked to the company owners and this is their new design.....they were very nice and the price reflected the 'new-ness' of the product.

We are liking the Silverback ......so confusing....so many designs!!!

and yes, great weather friday and saturday while we were there.
Grand Design is an independent company. They are associated with no one but Grand Design.

They are actually the same guys that created Keystone RV and Dutchmen RV.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #10

Took the 4 hour ride to the show from Long Island left there with my head spinning. I'm lookin for my 1st 5'R boy was there ALOT to choose from.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #11

Wow, your post could have been written by my wife and me. Everything is the same right down to truck type. We looked at Open Road and were impressed, but ended up with a 2014 Silverback 29RE which we purchased in June of this year. We have had quite a few electrical problems, one of the back jacks failed, and several other issues. It has been in the shop locally quite a few times and even back to the factory once (factory people are great!!) The kitchen has a lot less cabinet space than our Jayco had, but we have adapted. The only thing we don't like are the cathedral ceilings on the slides. Obviously, you can't get slide toppers for them and water comes in when you bring them in and you can't have access to the sides inside to wipe them down. I have written a post about that asking for advice from other Silverback owners. We love the look of our Silverback and are enjoying everything about it, except the cathedral ceilings on the slides. Hope this gives you some insight if you haven't already jumped one way or the other.
Lovelandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #12

Just my 2 cents here.
We have the Silverback 33rl and absolutely love it. It gives you a little more room than the 29re and more cupboard space and the DW got her island in the kitchen. I like that the lazy boy chairs are straight across from the tv. As far as the cathedral ceilings, that is what I love the most. It makes it feel more roomy and you are not sitting in a boxy slide. As far as a when it rains when you bring your slides in I just wipe them down with a towel or use a squeegee.
When we were camper shopping its always good to get the layout you like the most then find a good quality unit with the layout you like.
We still go to shows but I still love our Silverback the best.
Good luck on your decision
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show