Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2016, 11:52 AM   #1

Banff Alberta

Wife and I celebrate 50 years on May 25th. We are NOT taking the rv for time constraints. We are flying into/out of Calgary and spending 6 nights there in downtown Banff.
( all booked)
If you have been there, please share your must see and do's. We will have a car rental and bus tours etc are open for guidance. We want to "pack" in as much as we can 👀.
Tnx for your input.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Beautiful. Spent 3 weeks there on leave from Iraq in 2006. See lake Louise, bow River falls (Marilyn Monroe and Robert mitchum starred in "river of no return" filmed there), Jasper has a nice little shopping area, Banff has great shopping on the main drag. We saw tons of elk at the golf course but it was autumn. Be advised, they don't have iced tea. Only hot tea. We had to order hot tea and a glass of ice. lol
Lots of scenic drives and the tram to the top of the mountain was nice. We hiked up and rode down.
Enjoy.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:22 PM   #3
WFD

Jasper will be at least a 3hr drive that time of year...one way. Bow Falls is very nice...it's right next to the old historic Banff Hotel...Take a drive down the scenic 1A highway, lots to stop and see along there, a very nice hike there called Johnson Canyon with a nice waterfall. Also a short drive from Banff townsite is Lake Minnewanka, very pretty, and of course Lake Louise is a must see.
In the town of Banff, lots of shops, and also the Banff Hot Springs is quite nice and relaxing.
They just had a major fire in Banff 3 nights ago and did extensive damage to one of their very old hotels, as well as all the shops on the street level of that hotel. No fire in the shops but extensive water damage, hopefully they have some of that restored before your trip.
Banff is beautiful and in May you are ahead of the big crowds...Enjoy!
Old 12-31-2016, 05:55 PM   #4

Canadian Lexicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Beautiful. Spent 3 weeks there on leave from Iraq in 2006. See lake Louise, bow River falls (Marilyn Monroe and Robert mitchum starred in "river of no return" filmed there), Jasper has a nice little shopping area, Banff has great shopping on the main drag. We saw tons of elk at the golf course but it was autumn. Be advised, they don't have iced tea. Only hot tea. We had to order hot tea and a glass of ice. lol
Lots of scenic drives and the tram to the top of the mountain was nice. We hiked up and rode down.
Enjoy.
When a Canadian says Tea, the "hot" is automatically understood. If we want Iced Tea, we have to specify that.

Hockey is similar- you'll never hear a Canadian speak of "Ice Hockey". The Ice is automatic. If referring to that game played on grass, we specify Field Hockey.

But seriously- I've never had trouble asking for Iced Tea in most good restaurants here, it's just not too commonly ordered, (but rapidly gaining due to the influence of American tourists). I think you'll also find that if you do order it, ask if they sweeten it in the preparation- I think most do. You can find it in tins and bottles in the stores, but it is sweetened and has a lemon flavour added. I like the Nestlé best.

And Hey- best wishes to your Junior team on 01 Jan- you got us last year, I hope we take it back in '17, after all it is our 150th.

Happy new year to you all down there - our best neighbours.

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:01 PM   #5

Tnx to both who responded quickly. Appreciate the tips. Know we cannot see it all but a memory packed 6 days will be GREAT! I will make a specific list of "to do's" and do as many as possible. We will do one/two days of professional bus tours trying to pack it in ��
Being New Years, was not expecting any hits until "next year"��
Old 01-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
Wife and I celebrate 50 years on May 25th. We are NOT taking the rv for time constraints. We are flying into/out of Calgary and spending 6 nights there in downtown Banff.
( all booked)
If you have been there, please share your must see and do's. We will have a car rental and bus tours etc are open for guidance. We want to "pack" in as much as we can ��.
Tnx for your input.
Congratulations on reaching your Golden (50th) Anniversary. I live between between Calgary and Banff so visit both places although I haven't been to Banff now for a while.

If you're picking up a rental car from YYC the easiest way to Banff is by first travelling north on Hwy 2 from the airport and then taking the 201 (stoney Trail) west. You can either come off at Hwy 1a or Hwy 1 (Trans Canada Highway - TCH). The THC is the most direct (60 minutes from the intersection) but the 1a is the most scenic route. Do you have your Parks Canada pass? They are free to anyone this year and links have been posted elsewhere on the FRF.

Banff townsite is a busy but quaint place to stay. Try Sulphur Mountain - there is a gondola ride that takes you to the summit and a newly renovated restaurant at the top. Also, at the base of Sulphur Mountain are the hot springs. Great views of the Bow Valley from here. Although for a much nicer set of hot springs take a scenic drive west for 90 minutes to Radium.

If you're hiking, pack some bear spray. You'll be able to rent or buy it locally. Spring will just be starting and the bears will be coming out - Black Bears and Grizzlies. As others have said, some great walks close to town (Bow Falls - by the river is an easy walk from town) and then Lake Minnewanka, Johnstone Canyon, Lake Louise. About 2 hours north of Banff is the Columbia Icefields. There you can take a bus tour on to the glacier. There is also a new glass walkway on the side of a mountain nearby.

Banff Springs Hotel do a fantastic Sunday brunch but you have to book in advance. I don't recall the cost but right now a U$ costs us about $1.35 Cdn to buy so you're ahead of the curve on that.

If you are picking up a car from the airport and need to return it full, there are a couple of Costco with a gas station about 15 minutes away (Calgary Beacon Hill or Balzac/Airdrie). Cheapest place for gas close to the return.

I am sure you'll have a great time and welcome to Alberta.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:20 PM   #7

GREAT TIPS! Tnx. We will surely use them��
Old 01-01-2017, 05:50 PM   #8

I know nothing about Banff but do know 50 years is quite a milestone. Congratulations

Will be 47 yrs for,is this year.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:56 PM   #9

Tnx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I know nothing about Banff but do know 50 years is quite a milestone. Congratulations

Will be 47 yrs for,is this year.
-----------------------------------------------

WELL, 46 going on 47 puts you all right there!! 😂

Met "my girl" in Germany and at 17 we married in Monterey, California. Life has been a GREAT RIDE so far!!! Need 50 more!! ❤️. No regrets here!

We really enjoyed AZ; Tombstone; Badlands, Colorado years ago.
This Banff trip is a dream. Anniversary is a capstone.
Just did an 8 country cruise 2 years ago; fantastic!
Been to Kuaui! Spent a week in Berlin....a year ago.
Life is good and we are trying to pack it in! 👀
We only pass this way once!!
Old 01-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #10

Congrats on your anniversary!
Writing to you from Calgary and would "dido" what Hutch333id has mentioned...
Specially the trip to Lake Louise and the brunch at the Banff Springs!
Have a safe trip!
LJ

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Past RV's: Misc.tents,V.W.Campers('65,'69) 2012 Arctic Fox 25S.
[B]Camping Day's: Never Enough
Little John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:53 PM   #11

Little John. Thanks for the endorsement. We changed our departure FROM Calgary to Banff until the day after arrival. Do not want to miss any of that Canadian rugged beauty!