Old 05-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #1

Basement collapse on Cedar Creek

2013 Cedar Creek 5W
Basement floor collapsed after filling fresh h2o tank. It's now resting on the axles. Water has flooded the basement and soaked the insulation. Went to the dealer and the "Service Advisor" had NO ADVICE, but told us he couldn't talk to us for 3WEEKS! He did say it was safe to tow. �� He then ignored us and pecked away at his computer, because his stack of papers were customers waiting in line ahead of us. WHAT?

This rig has been a headache from the git. The first night we couldn't get the slides to open, and brought it back the next day. Of course, it was just a fuse...duh...but that was an omen of what was yet to come.
Long story short, we lived in it for 6 months at an RV resort, bought a house, and parked it in the yard. Used it for guests off and on. The fridge and slides, etc., wouldn't work unless plugged into shore power. Couldn't safely take it on the road, to find ourselves stuck in a powerless situation. (Pun intended) Went to the dealership again, just wanting to pick some brains, but we were not allowed to speak to anyone until we booked an appointment and brought it in. NO ONE WOULD TALK TO US! I understand how busy they are, but being "Minnesota nice," I don't get the the rudeness of customer service. We stand in front of that same Service Advisor, who doesn't make eye contact or acknowledge us, until after several minutes of being ignored, we start the conversation, to get shot down. He did say RVs are sh** after one year. WHAT? They are very busy. Very, very busy. Phone calls are not returned. Called a mobile repair guy who determined it was the invertor. After many calls to the dealership, we had an appointment to bring it in. The original inverter was 800w, but that rig needed a 3000w. So it burned out. By this time the "warranty" had run out. Even though it was the manufacturer's mistake of not putting in the proper size invertor, we coughed up $1500 to replace it and all new batteries that were shot. So, yay, we brought it home only to have the automatic leveler system conk out in the yard, collapsed on the ground, first thing. WHAT???!!! This can't be real! Scoured the literature, the Internet, watched the leveling DVD AGAIN. A couple more trips to the dealership, raising a little h.e.double hockey sticks,( not exactly MN nice,) and grabbed a very nice technician who was on the slip for another job, but talked to us. Please show us this intricate Pandora's box of our "dream RV!" One of the 50 Amp circuit breakers must be shot. But they didn't have a replacement. Go to the auto parts store and get one. Couldn't find a 50a circuit breaker ANYWHERE! Spent the best part of a day going from store to store. Talked with another RV repair guy who told us don't worry about the amps, just the 14v. Settled on a 40w 14v. Still did not work!!! Dumbfounded again. Finally discovered an unhooked wire in the catacombs. Success! Got it off the ground and leveled. Woot! Planning a camping weekend, filling the water tank, and the basement floor collapsed, as above.
Did I say long story short? Sorry, I'm so upset and frustrated. Don't know where to turn. We have wasted so much time and money on this lemon.

My husband is a Vietnam war 100% disabled army veteran. Agent Orange destroyed his heart. Several heart attacks and 6 stents. We looked forward to the golden years and having the RV of our dreams, which has become a nightmare!

Any advice would be sooooo appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings....

Old 05-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #2

Basement collapse on Cedar Creek

First off, welcome to the forum.
I'm very thankful for your husbands service and both of your sacrifices. Also sorry to hear of your current camper troubles
1. Find a new dealer/servicer.
2. Contact forest river and stay calm while doing both of these.

What do you mean that the basement floor collapsed? If it's sitting in the axles after filling the fw tank, the tank supports obviously failed and will need repaired. This could be done by an RV service center but also possibly by a good welding shop.

jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
First off, welcome to the forum.
I'm very thankful for your husbands service and both of your sacrifices. Also sorry to hear of your current camper troubles
1. Find a new dealer/servicer.
2. Contact forest river and stay calm while doing both of these.

What do you mean that the basement floor collapsed? If it's sitting in the axles after filling the fw tank, the tank supports obviously failed and will need repaired. This could be done by an RV service center but also possibly by a good welding shop.
They probably meant the underbelly covering collapsed, not the basement floor. The basement floor is part on the main floor. The tanks do not sit on any floor.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #4
itch'n to road trip

Goldenmermaid... we soooo feel you pain.

Purchased a 2014 WP 25ULA toy hauler...took delivery August 2013. Our dealer was just as bad as yours! The first year we had our unit it spent 16 weeks over the year getting warranty work done (or NOT done.)

I am NOT going to list all the issues we have had fixed.
Look at it that way....ALL manufactures have MANY issues.... Check out their forums. You can fix what need to be fixed (out of pocket) and keep it and try to
enjoy it... or sell the damn thing.

I personally would sell our unit in a heart beat if my DH loves our TT and will not hear of it. Besides we have worked out MOST of the bugs by now.

Good luck

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4 "Mae West"
2014 Work & Play 25ULA "Ula"
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight & Valor
Jasper Ga. -
Nights camped Not Enough 2014: 8 2015: 2
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #5

It looks like you are new here welcome to the forum. !!!!!!!

If it is a 2013 and the warranty is out anyway I would find another dealer or repair person that may be able to help you.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #6

You are getting a ton of bad advice. Haven't seen any trailer that used a 3,000 watt inverter. 800-1,000 is common. Circuit breakers are not usually sold by voltages alone. they also have wattage ratings. A 14 volt rating by itself means nothing. Whoever told you this is no technician. They are always rated by the number of amps they are made for at a given voltage. If the Service writer was busy he was busy...I'm sure he had a bunch of customers waiting for him to finish his paperwork. You were trying to interrupt him and jump in front of the customers who were already there. Sometimes you need to wait your turn. In my opinion you need to find a better place to get your work done and get some better advice on how to repair your rig. At this point you are just throwing your money out the window..Sorry to sound harsh but maybe an RV isn't for you..
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #7

If you have any friends or relatives who have used a reliable RV repair shop, I would start there. Personal recommendation is my "go to" solution for most repairs. Plus if you tell the shop that someone recommended them, then they know they could lose 2 customers if they do a bad job!
Old 05-07-2016, 04:55 PM   #8

Sounds like you already know of a mobile tech. I would just give him a call if even for advise on where to go. No way would I take it back to the dealer you were going to. Please give us a name of the offending dealer. Sorry for your troubles, I don't see how it could get any worse, so that means it will be all roses and sunshine going forward!!!! Good luck, John
Old 05-07-2016, 05:13 PM   #9
Site Team

You might see if you can find ( here on forum) someone close to you who could take a quick look at the CC and advise you on what to do. As mentioned above, you have been advised by people who shouldn't offer advice let alone charge to act on it. As you are out of warranty, I suggest you find a service shop you are comfortable with and use them. Trying to get priority at a selling dealer this time of year is nto going to happen. They sold a lot of units at shows over the winter and want to get them delivered and get their money. I would look for an independent shop that only does service. If you think you are getting bad info, check it here. No matter what problem, someone here has had it and resolved it and will be more than happy to share.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:51 PM   #10

I guess I have to offer a slightly different opinion.

I have heard rumor of some units needing a 3,000 watt inverter if they are using a residential fridge. I have not seen one in person however, I have not seen the inside brains of an RV with a residential fridge so the water-cooler is all the talk I know of regarding this.

I also agree that you should find a different dealer. I think the dealer you are using is terrible. I know someone mentioned that you shouldn't expect so much and I COMPLETELY disagree with that. They mentioned it's like cutting in line. I also disagree with that. Your post said you were trying to get an opinion, not asking them to drop the tools in their hands, and walk away from the unit they were either repairing or getting ready for delivery, and fix your unit on the spot. You were asking for some advice.

A good dealership should know... that if their help is sh*t after the sale, they're never going to get a sale from you again. In MHO, I hope this dealership fails. It might take a few years, but they can sell, sell, sell, and as people need service and realize the crap service that is offered they will slowly trade and buy new from somewhere else. This is a terrible representation of a dealership. I have bought 3 new units at my dealership since 1998, I come in at least once every year for some extended warranty work. (and just did March 31st to April 19). They have never refused talking to me, coming out to the unit to see what I am talking about, and even asking a tech to step away for a moment to advise on something. Now I always have to schedule the work, but when I leave I have a full understanding of what they feel needs to be done and how they feel we need to go about it. Al mobile technician might be the way to go, but I would definitely head to another dealership for support. I would also file a better business complaint. That way, when good honest, hard working people like you and me are doing homework on where to buy a unit, they will see a complaint has been filed.

I wish you the best of luck. Without knowing where you are (and you didn't put your location in your profile) it's hard to recommend a service place so please update that, or reply to this thread as someone might have a recommendation for you. Make sure to google any dealerships you are thinking of using and see what others are saying about them before trusting them with a screwdriver and your camper.

Nights camped so far in 2016 = 0

Although Many trips scheduled.
cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek