Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #21

Have the same cc36ckts. CW put 2-12 v batteries in. Kept going dead. Had to have them put in 4 -6 v batteries. Make sure they wire them properly. Ours didn't know how.
Mahlstedtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #22

My 2017 36CKTS came with 2 12V batts and a sticker on the door showing how to wire 2 12V batts. 4 6V Interstate batts were a dealer option that I passed on. I installed 4 Trojan T-125 6V batts instead. The last batt was hard to get in.

There is a lip on the left and right end of my battery box that makes the battery tip to the inside (left or right), using up the precious 1/4" of extra width in the box. My box is 28-3/4"wide. Trojan T-105 or T-125 are 7-1/8" wide each, so 28-1/2" wide total. I made spacers using 2 layers of cardboard, to place under the batts, next to the lip, to make the batts sit level and they all fit. Without the spacers the last 7-1/8" wide batt had 6-7/8" of room to fit into. I hope this helps someone else from having to take out a battery they had already put in, in order to insert the spacers. Or you could jam it in and hope for the best. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
My GMC is said to increase alternator output with turning in headlights and/or using Tow/Haul. I haven't metered it.
X2. I remember that from when I had a 2007 GMC

I sold my GMC a few months ago, and bought a Ram. I wonder if the Ram has a way to increase alternator voltage, such as Tow-Haul on or headlights on?

Does anyone know?
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB B&W Continuum Hitch
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #23

I have no idea but I saw all this on another thread on this site and that's what was said about GM. It may work on a Ram, hook up your camper and find out. Honest I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:13 PM   #24

In my opinion. Your alternator out will increase when the lights are on but only enough to cover the operation of the lights. The use of your haul tow switch will change the shift points in your electronically controlled transmission and slightly change how hard it shifts by controlling the electronic shift solenoids in the transmission. The truck doesn't know if you are or are not towing a trailer when it is engaged. There is no reason to think that the alternator output is connected to this in any way. If your trailer batteries are low the output of the alternator will increase to compensate but only to the degree that is needed. The output voltage will not change it is the number amps that will increase. I think that turning on your headlights to increase the output over and above what is needed is an old wives tale and has no merit...
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
In my opinion. Your alternator out will increase when the lights are on but only enough to cover the operation of the lights. The use of your haul tow switch will change the shift points in your electronically controlled transmission and slightly change how hard it shifts by controlling the electronic shift solenoids in the transmission. The truck doesn't know if you are or are not towing a trailer when it is engaged. There is no reason to think that the alternator output is connected to this in any way. If your trailer batteries are low the output of the alternator will increase to compensate but only to the degree that is needed. The output voltage will not change it is the number amps that will increase. I think that turning on your headlights to increase the output over and above what is needed is an old wives tale and has no merit...

I guess you know more than GM

Old 07-30-2016, 07:47 AM   #26
Site Team

Opinions aside, I have some information that applies to "my truck" and those like it. I don't know how it relates to "your truck" or "the truck" as mentioned above. Here are some pics of info in my owner's manual (I assume they are facts).

Does my truck know when a trailer is connected? YES

Will Tow/Haul mode and/or running headlamps cause my truck's alternator to increase its VOLTAGE output? YES

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:56 AM   #27
clr

Well Thanks to all for the help here for my friend. Just for every ones information the dealer did refuse to install 4 6V batteries, said they do not even stock them any longer only 12V. So the unit has 2 12V size 24 batteries currently sliding around in the battery box with no method to tie them down. Yes the batteries were also mis-wired by the dealer so had to correct that also. I am sure that as my friend uses the unit that they will not be happy with the capacity of 2 size 24 batteries, but the dealer refused to change them. FYI he did talk to CC people and they stated either 4 6V batteries or 2 12V batteries should be installed so not much leverage with the dealer.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:58 AM   #28

Alternators are not what they used to be.......... like most vehicle stuff, much better. More capable.

Just FYI, but if you have the Furrion Observation backwards camera, it works off of the hot lead on the lights. So you have to turn on the lights to make it work, anyway....at least the parking lights.

And of all things......I never thought to really deeply check my 4 battery connections. Duh. Everything works well...........out of sight, out of mind. Now I gotta go check 'em. Thanks. But not sure how hard it is to wire 2 six-volts in series, twice, and then wire the two sets in parallel.

and for the record, four six volts are listed (I BELIEVE) on the spec sheet for new Cedar Creeks by the manufacturer as an option. Dealer can't read.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:59 AM   #29

We had to buy our 4 6V batteries ourselves (from a friend in the auto parts business). Dealer did install them, but had them wired incorrectly. Seems to be a common thread here.
bkearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
Well Thanks to all for the help here for my friend. Just for every ones information the dealer did refuse to install 4 6V batteries, said they do not even stock them any longer only 12V. So the unit has 2 12V size 24 batteries currently sliding around in the battery box with no method to tie them down. Yes the batteries were also mis-wired by the dealer so had to correct that also. I am sure that as my friend uses the unit that they will not be happy with the capacity of 2 size 24 batteries, but the dealer refused to change them. FYI he did talk to CC people and they stated either 4 6V batteries or 2 12V batteries should be installed so not much leverage with the dealer.

All dealers are different, my Creek came with four six volt batteries but they were cheap. 105 amp each, so together I have 210 amp and a off brand to boot, of which I can use 100 amps. I have four Trojans that I plan to install in there place. If dealer can save a buck at your expense they will, same way with Cedar Creek

Old 07-30-2016, 09:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Opinions aside, I have some information that applies to "my truck" and those like it. I don't know how it relates to "your truck" or "the truck" as mentioned above. Here are some pics of info in my owner's manual (I assume they are facts).

Does my truck know when a trailer is connected? YES

Will Tow/Haul mode and/or running headlamps cause my truck's alternator to increase its VOLTAGE output? YES
Thank you for the info. I stand corrected. I have many years in a GM service depart but have been retired for quite a few. Obviously things have changed..
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:30 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Thank you for the info. I stand corrected. I have many years in a GM service depart but have been retired for quite a few. Obviously things have changed..
It's good of you to write back. I had heard about it before but I wasn't sure so I checked my manual. Just this week I learned on a GM truck website that I can turn off Grade Braking on my 6.2 gasser by pressing and holding my T/H button for 5 seconds. My son is a certified GM World Class Master Technician and he says he can't know/remember all the things these units will do.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, cedar creek