Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #1

Battery dies. Ideas?

It seems that the battery in my 2015 Silverback 35QB4 doesn't have much oomph. I went to put it on the truck yesterday and there wasn't enough power to run the jacks or even to do more than cause the generator solenoid to click. I was able to start the generator after hooking the cable into the truck, but I can't imagine why the battery seems to have no life to the charge. Yes, the unit disconnect is turned off each time the trailer is parked. I'd appreciate any ideas as to where I might look for the culprit.
brer_rabbit10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Fully charge battery and then have it load tested for starters.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #3

I have had same issue. Found out. The unit "disconnect" DOES NOT do a full disconnect. If you check your rig for what still "on"
jkaspar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:53 PM   #4

Providing the load test comes back good, what size, type and age is your battery? How long does it sit between charges? Do you keep a trickle charger/battery minder on it?

More info help us help you more good'r. ;-)
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Providing the load test comes back good, what size, type and age is your battery? How long does it sit between charges? Do you keep a trickle charger/battery minder on it?

More info help us help you more good'r. ;-)
All good questions. The battery should be new - I just picked up the trailer new in January. It was charged at the dealers when I picked it up (I presume - I know, not a good presumption). I don't keep a trickle charger on it - it's in a storage yard and I don't have access to power. I do have a solar trickle charger, but I don't know it's quality and whether it would avoid overcharging the battery. Honestly, I haven't looked in the battery box ... yet. Camping this weekend should enable the battery to fully charge. I did run the generator for awhile just two weeks ago, so I'm somewhat surprised that it started readily then but was so weak so soon thereafter.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:14 AM   #6

Sounds like you are expierencing some parasitic drains. It is important to understand that wet cell batts, do not like near total discharge, that would be anything south of 50%. Each time that occurs, you greatly shorten the life of the batt.
The easy fix in your situation is to charge it to full, then put a trickle charger on it, to maintain it during non use. That way, your battery will not sulfate too soon, and you will get better performance/life from it. Just sayin'

Here is a helpful site that explains the 12v side of things. Enjoy The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:51 AM   #7
Site Team

Get an ampmeter or ammeter and place it between the battery post and
your trailer battery lead.
Read the current draw with the disconnect switch ON and OFF.
IF there is ANY current draw with the disconnect OFF (see post 3 this thread)
you'll have to dig for the culprit.

My new trailer has several things tapping off the main 12v feed between
the battery(s) and the fuse box so I had to install a battery switch right
on the tongue so it absolutely disconnects the battery(s) from everything
else!

Also consider a battery tender automatic trickle charger if you have power
near your trailer. They keep the battery charged and greatly reduce sulfate build up and that can add years to the battery life.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #8

Your battery will have some drain even if the cut off switch was engaged. I have a good solar charger on the battery when parked and never had a problem but before I hooked that up the battery would drain over longer storage times.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #9

Hi I found that the propane sniffer is always on and that drained the battery in a few days don
Don Reesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:12 PM   #10

I'd imagine you are experiencing what others have already thrown out for conversation ... the battery disconnect does not shut power off to everything ... propane detector for one. Unless you put a battery cutoff switch directly on the ground wire of your battery, you'll have to remove one of the battery cables each time you let it sit for several days. There's no way around this even on other brands.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:30 PM   #11

You must break connection with your rig - or have a power source to keep it topped off. Someone else mentioned that total discharge is nearly a death sentence for a battery, and I concur. I have discharged a good set of batteries and found they lost the ability to power my furnace overnight. Even with Walmart batteries it gets expensive to replace them to regain capacity.😞
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdT View Post
You must break connection with your rig - or have a power source to keep it topped off. Someone else mentioned that total discharge is nearly a death sentence for a battery, and I concur. I have discharged a good set of batteries and found they lost the ability to power my furnace overnight. Even with Walmart batteries it gets expensive to replace them to regain capacity.��
Well with WalMart theres a 2 year free replacement and then you start all over again
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:07 PM   #13

Thanks for all the great replies. Since I have no ready source of power available it appears that I'll need to use solar power to keep the battery topped off. Does anyone have any experience with them and be willing to recommend a make and model number for one that would keep the battery topped off and have the inherent circuity to prevent the charger from overcharging the battery?
Old 03-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brer_rabbit10 View Post
Thanks for all the great replies. Since I have no ready source of power available it appears that I'll need to use solar power to keep the battery topped off. Does anyone have any experience with them and be willing to recommend a make and model number for one that would keep the battery topped off and have the inherent circuity to prevent the charger from overcharging the battery?
I bought one at Menard s for about 30 bucks. The panel is only approx 12x12 and does a good job keeping my battery fully charged
Old 03-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The battery cutoff on my Rockwood is everything but the Breakaway for the brakes. I no parasitic draw.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:24 PM   #16

I had two parasites that I found.
1) the propane sniffer that you found
2) the radio clock
All I did was add a small spst switch and cut the power to them. Just remember to turn them back on before you use your trailer. Everyone of these units are wired different even the same model. You just have to hunt for them...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #17
Salem Cruise Lite Owner

I pulled the fuse on the propane sniffer when I see the possibility of a low battery. Low battery power is hard on those things.
Bushbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #18

We are having a problem with our battery staying charged in our 2012 CC 29Re. Service said they looked for possible items left ton. Put in new battery and that one went dead. Our inverter is continually humming. Have you had problems with yours?
Blazincfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazincfd View Post
We are having a problem with our battery staying charged in our 2012 CC 29Re. Service said they looked for possible items left ton. Put in new battery and that one went dead. Our inverter is continually humming. Have you had problems with yours?
Your battery will go dead unless you unhook it or install a battery disconnect or lastly keep it plugged in.
There are a few parasitic draws that will run your battery down every time.

I think you mean converter not inverter.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #20

I had the same problem until I installed a battery cut-off switch. I located the switch on top of the battery box cover and used the positive cable. Yes I know there has been discussions on this forum about using the negative vs the positive side of the battery to cut off. My Co detector and stereo were the culprits that I found. Lord knows whatever else was sucking power from the battery. Even tho the stereo was turned off, the dial window remained lit up. I installed a small solar panel (from Harbor Freight) on top of my propane cover and attached it directly to my battery. No problems since.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery