Old 08-22-2015, 04:45 PM   #11
I had no shut off switch on my rig and every time I went to the storage unit where it was, the battery dead. Aggravating to say the least. If I just wanted to do a quick something then I had to drag out the shore power and plug it in and then I had power. So I fixed that right away. I bought a nice marine battery shut off switch. 100% water proof. Now when I go to the TT I have power!! Amazing, unless I forget to turn the battery switch off when I leave

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #12
Originally Posted by JoeNanMinn View Post
The only way to kill total power is to disconnect one of the cables from your battery.
disconnect switches are deceiving and they vary from RV make to RV make as to what they actually shut off.
Yea- calling it a "coach disconnect switch" can be interpreted as "I can turn off everything related to my coach and all else is run off the chassis battery"

There is a nifty battery post switch. It totally kills all current flow from the battery. I believe it goes on the negative post. Do not quote me on that. Best to connect with an expert. I am sure someone on this forum will have experience with the concept.

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #13
Disconnecting a battery cable is EXACTLY what a battery disconnect does. You can put it on either cable + or - . In its basic form it's like an in line swith....
2015 274 RK LIMITED <'{{{{><
captainperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #14
Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
If you put your switch on either cable coming off your battery, that is the same as disconnecting your battery IF, and I say IF there are NO OTHER CONNECTIONS to that SAME BATTERY POST.
Several RVs connect a separate wire directly to the battery to power the tongue jack, slides or electric door locks. Just make sure there are no OTHER wires going to the same terminal that your switch is connected to. If so, disconnect them from the battery and reconnect them past the switch on the coach side. That way everything is disconnected when you turn the switch.
Hope this helps.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Tuned
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #15
I installed my own master disconnect , and it virtually leaves the trailer dead.....other than anything running off it's own battery.(smoke detector etc) The whole point is to kill any current that might flow from the batteries. We live in a moderate climate, 10 nights or so of first most years, and my batteries are generally 2/3 full in the spring.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #16
I would make certain the propane is shut off if you're disconnecting the propane detector! I've seen videos of campers blowing up from propane leaks! Devastating to say the least!
Greg, Barbara and Cody the wonder-pup.
2014 FR3 30DS
(and 2 200cc Scooters)
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #17
I should have also stated that when storing your RV you should close all propane tank valves prior to activating battery disconnect. Since there is no one in the rig when in storage the propane alarm is useless at that time. Also, if you use a cover or store inside your solar panel won't provide a battery charge.

Gary and Donna
2005 Cardinal 33TS-LX
Trail Air pin box
Center Point suspension
2005 F-350 6.0 psd CC SRW
PullRite Super 5th
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, battery disconnect