Old 02-26-2016, 07:27 AM   #1

Bedroom Slide Rot

I recently purchased my 2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS. I recently found that the underside wood on my bedroom slide is rotting and wet at the outer wall end. Further inspection revealed that the OSB has delaminated and swelled about 18" back. I recaulked the seams, but water is still getting in somewhere.

Two questions:

-Any ideas where I might be getting water intrusion from?
- I am pretty handy, so I would like to make the repair myself. My thought would be to cleanly cut out the rot, then replace with plywood. Seems I would need to fiberglass the joint where the cut seam would be and cover with a similar water resistant paper/membrane. Seems there are also 4 carriage bolts attached to help secure the wood.

Anyone done this or have suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #2

Yes. I have ideas to check and re seal. My 2015 Silverback had a similar leak and I only found it by coincidence. I tried opening my slides from the under bay switch and needed to be under the BR slide as it came open. Saw water stain. Mine was under warranty.

I found those small triangle edge (outer) pieces were NEVER SEALED and acted like mini buckets catching all rain runoff and leaking it to the last point of entry: THE BEDROOM FLOOR!

The UPPER piece was NEVER SEALED and improperly installed, allowing water to get in! UGH!
That joint had to be torn down, rebuilt and resealed!

In the interim, I covered them with Gorilla tape. I was under warranty and having other work done.

Issues resolved!

Check them out.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #3

Well I took your advise and sealed the corner squares and guess what, it stopped the leak. Very frustrating that two 3 inch beads of caulk could have prevented this.

Thank you!!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #4

You are welcome

Soooo glad you were able to stop the leak! Never should have been shipped originally.
Now, on to final repairs 👍
Old 03-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #5

Can either one of you post a picture of this corner square?
Old 03-24-2016, 11:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Can either one of you post a picture of this corner square?
I would appreciate some photo's too! I recently purchased a 2014 36 ckts and am in the process of checking it top to bottom before parking it for the summer.

I noticed water puddles on the slide tops near the outer walls and also screw heads exposed (slightly) along the top. Should I try to run these screws in further and add an additional run of eternabond and dicor?
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNCJ View Post
I would appreciate some photo's too! I recently purchased a 2014 36 ckts and am in the process of checking it top to bottom before parking it for the summer.

I noticed water puddles on the slide tops near the outer walls and also screw heads exposed (slightly) along the top. Should I try to run these screws in further and add an additional run of eternabond and dicor?
Same here Pics please.....
Old 03-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #8

According to the repair techs, at Goshen last August, the eternabond seals to the screw as it goes through. I covered mine with Dicor sealant anyway. Cheap insurance!
Travel safe
Old 03-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #9

Follow Fordhauler

Never hurts to reseal. My 2015 Silverback came from the factory with Eternabond on the top of the slides where they close under the black rubber weather molding. After 9 months, NOT ANNUALLY, it was necessary to VERY, VERY CAREFULLY,
Trim the excess edges of the tape and re apply. CAUTION; ETERNABOND IS FOREVER! DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE IT OR NEVER USE A RAZOR CUTTER NEAR YOUR RUBBER ROOF! I used very small curved surgical scizzors to accomplish the task.

Unfortunately ( or fortunately for me)
We are in our RV in South Florida. If I can, I will post pics. ( not today). Not there.

Just look at the outside corners of each slide and if you have those pieces, you will see them. They MAY LOOK SEALED. LOOK is the key word.
Mine NEVER WERE SEALED AT BUILD.
If water can get it, it will!

Tags
bed, bedroom slide, roo, slide