Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #21

And if it has not been smoked in...
jannjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #22

Lots of great sale tips here!

We sold our 13 year old truck camper here in NW Oregon for asking price in the fall of 2018. We ordered a 2020 CC 34IK this past January with that money.
Here's what I did to attract buyers:

Craigslist locally and Facebook Marketplace posts. We checked prices on NADA and priced accordingly. It actually sold to people that saw it on Facebook Marketplace, locally. I also said what KIND of truck was needed to haul it and how heavy it was LOADED. Not the dry weight. If you're selling your truck with it, then that's a moot point.

Make SURE you take and post a LOT of photos...however many your ad will let you post. People want to see photos. Include the tire tread (how old are the tires? List it!); exterior; hook up area, etc. Include the mattress; shower area; CLEAN oven, range top, microwave and fridge. If you say 'everything works' make sure that it does. Think what YOU would like to see if buying a rig. If you don't have a decent camera or a cell phone that takes decent photos, find someone who can do it for you. This is very important. Make sure they are clear, posted correctly (not sideways or upside down) with plenty of light and absolutely NOT blurry. Make sure there is no 'over winter dampness storage' smells. Air it out before a showing. Turn on all the lights inside before a showing. REPLACE ANY BURNED OUT BULBS, INSIDE AND OUT.

Also, if you haven't smoked in it, say that! If you have had pets in it, flea bomb it and be sure to then clean and air it out. Shampoo any carpet; mop the vinyl floors. Wipe out ALL the cupboards. Wash the windows, inside and out. Clean the oven; microwave; fridge. Spotless. Be super picky in your cleaning.

If you're selling it with 'optional' equipment, make sure to say that! Our niece and her husband bought a 5vr FULLY EQUIPPED with dishes, pans, flatware, linens, etc. If you're providing full propane tanks, SAY IT. When we sold our truck camper, it was ready to go out for a weekend. I included a package of paper plates, cold & hot cups, plastic flatware and paper towels and one tank of propane, among a few other things. We also included the frame mounted tie downs. If you're including the 5vr hitch, say that.

We listed our truck camper right before hunting season when people want truck campers. For you, early spring/late winter, before the RV shows would be a good time since people are going to want to go out and camp when the weather warms here in the PNW.

Best wishes for a quick, full price sale (or close!)
“Hunt, fish, camp, travel, repeat”
Chillaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:26 PM   #23

When I sold one of mine I found listing it right at/during our local camper show yielded the most hits. With people going to the show, they got the itch but also got the sticker shock too. So ours sold within a week of the show. I was happy!

Shows for us are in January/February.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:25 PM   #24

I purchased my rv with my tax return. So maybe after January would be a good time to sell.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #25

Thumbs up

Get value from NADA. I sold on RV Trader. used lots of pics. Give brief, but good description. I priced to sell and went 15% below average NADA. Sold in 24 hours. Sold in summer. My 5th wheel was in excellent condition and I had just spent $4k in preparing for sale. Make sure you get cash only. No checks of any kind. Wire transfer is fine, but do not deliver or give title until your bank confirms the transfer. You have a good product.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:57 PM   #26

These take a brutal depreciation hit. Many will flame this suggestion but see what you can sell it back to the dealer you bought it from. They'll offer you an insulting low price (but that's their depreciated value) and you're out of this in one transaction.

-- Chuck
Old 12-20-2019, 12:53 AM   #27

NADA

The NADA site works BUT as has been mentioned only add an option if that item is not part of the standard features. I added awning, furnace and AC etc and erroneously overprice our trailer by 20%. Usually there are very few options to add. Then do lots of internet searches on see what similar units are listed at. Finally being from Montana I agree that folks don’t get serious until snow is gone (I.e May).
GScott423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:07 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott423 View Post
The NADA site works BUT as has been mentioned only add an option if that item is not part of the standard features. I added awning, furnace and AC etc and erroneously overprice our trailer by 20%. Usually there are very few options to add. Then do lots of internet searches on see what similar units are listed at. Finally being from Montana I agree that folks don’t get serious until snow is gone (I.e May).
Yep, you don't add value for so-called "forced option packages". They often come with things like a/c, spare tire, entertainment system, and so on. You can't order the RV without them.
So they are no true options.
True options would be things like bigger a/c, second a/c, dual paned windows, electric tongue jack, leveling systems and so on. Value can be added for those things.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:51 AM   #29

I have sold 5 motorhomes in the last 15 years. I can't say any particular time of year is bad, some people only look in the winter expecting deals. I always list in Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and typically the buyer comes via Craigslist, but be very careful of Craigslist responses, they tend to be more scam artists on there over other listing locations. I even tried a consignment company and they add 15% on top of your offering price, I only had one of two inquiries from them but it cost me nothing. One suggestion from them was to post as many photos as you can, and show everything. I had nearly 100 photos on their consignment page. Buyers these days can make up their mind with photos and save you lots of time showing and talking over the phone. Good luck but in most of my sales, it was 1-3 months of listing time before the sales.
grimmrlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:55 AM   #30
KSH

Just listed mine in rv trader, got 4 calls, 1 family showed up. Sold today.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:32 PM   #31

Sorry to hear your retirement travel plans aren't working out. My wife and I haven't traveled in our RV as much as we planned for similar reasons but hope this coming year will be better.

I may get flamed for this suggestion since several of you like/use NADA to check prices but I'll take my chances if it helps someone get a fair price whether selling or buying.

My suggestion would be to go to the Facebook group RV PRICING AND VALUES and read the many articles posted by the group administrator and RV appraiser Dave Lester.

What caught my attention was the fact that NADA and other books are supported/controlled by dealers. To me, it is as close to price fixing as you can get.

Most of us, myself included, have too much emotion involved in selling our belongings. When you think about what you paid then vs what you can get now it is easy to set a price too high. Most prices are a wild guess.

No one would sell their home without getting an appraisal but think nothing of selling an RV without one.
Dave offers a low cost appraisal service based on actual nationwide sales and his appraisal customers, buyers and sellers, sing his praises which you can read for yourself in the group.

I joined the group for educational purposes and have learned a lot!
I do not have any financial interest in Dave's company nor have I used his services yet but plan to do so if I ever sell my unit or buy another one.

They only appraise used RVs since it's impossible to know manufacturer to dealer incentives on new units.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:44 PM   #32
KSH

I just googled my make and model, saw what others listed for and listed mine for a bit less.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote