Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #1

Best time to sell?

It's looking like we may need to see our 2016 Cedar Creek 34RE that we purchased used two years ago with hopes to retire and travel. That dream appears to be out of reach financially and we are considering selling our 5vr. We live in North Idaho. The unit has always been stored inside a heated storage unit and is in excellent condition. Do we try to advertise during upcoming local RV shows or wait until spring? Also, where should I look to determine a fair asking price? Dealer? Online service?
rrolphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #2
Coach

RV Trader online is a pretty good resource to see what fivers like yours are asking. There is also NADA. As far as when to sell, it can be like selling a house. It may move quick or you may be sitting on it for a while. I would think early spring could fetch the most value with folks wanting to get out camping and not having to wait on a factory order or what not, but that is pure assumption. Be prepared to haggle, or at least figure a good asking price and bottomline number you'll accept. Few of us will ever pay the price someone is asking.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
Site Team

Sell in the spring, winter is the worse time to sell.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #4

Best time to sell?

Thank you "valleyduo" for your quick reply. I will check out RV Trader and see if I can find any 5vr's that are similar. Do you think I would do better trying to sell my truck (2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD with High Country package - 45,000 miles) as a package or just the 5vr separately?
Old 12-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #5

I would offer it both ways, truck/camper package and camper only. Depending on if you want to keep the truck for a possible future TV, set the price accordingly. List now and stick too your price, if it's not sold by early spring, consider lowering the price.
Good luck

It is said the Good Lord does not take away from man's allotted time on Earth the time he spends Camping, Fishing or Hunting. If this be true, I may yet attain immortality!
wtbuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:48 PM   #6

Best time to sell?

Thanks to all for all good suggestions and guidance.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
Scoundrel

I don't have any advice to offer about selling your RV. But I'm sorry to hear that you're in a situation where you find it necessary. Best of luck however this goes.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #8

And tax time is never a good time to sell something that is discretionary such as RV's boats, motorcycles, etc.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #9
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolphe View Post
Thank you "valleyduo" for your quick reply. I will check out RV Trader and see if I can find any 5vr's that are similar. Do you think I would do better trying to sell my truck (2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD with High Country package - 45,000 miles) as a package or just the 5vr separately?
You could try selling it as a package deal, there are folks out there looking to buy in that fashion, but be prepared to split them up as well as I'm guessing your asking price for the combo may be out of reach for a lot of the market. It all depends on how quick you wish to move it as well. I would guess the truck by itself will move fairly quick regardless of the time of year. The fiver won't have as high a demand right now unless it's a great deal.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolphe View Post
It's looking like we may need to see our 2016 Cedar Creek 34RE that we purchased used two years ago with hopes to retire and travel. That dream appears to be out of reach financially and we are considering selling our 5vr. We live in North Idaho. The unit has always been stored inside a heated storage unit and is in excellent condition. Do we try to advertise during upcoming local RV shows or wait until spring? Also, where should I look to determine a fair asking price? Dealer? Online service?
Sorry to hear your plans are changing.

We sold our previous trailer in April, before a lot of the ads starting appearing. We listed it on Facebook Marketplace Saturday afternoon, it drove out of the yard Sunday afternoon! We priced it accordingly, didn't want an unused trailer sitting in the yard all season. The couple who purchased it live just down the highway about 30 minutes, and it fit their needs perfectly (affordable, no slides and bunks for their young children).

Good luck with your sale
2006 Dodge RAM 2500 TRX4 Cummins
2011 Cedar Creek Silverback 35K
just4u_cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4u_cara View Post
Sorry to hear your plans are changing.

We sold our previous trailer in April, before a lot of the ads starting appearing. We listed it on Facebook Marketplace Saturday afternoon, it drove out of the yard Sunday afternoon! We priced it accordingly, didn't want an unused trailer sitting in the yard all season. The couple who purchased it live just down the highway about 30 minutes, and it fit their needs perfectly (affordable, no slides and bunks for their young children).

Good luck with your sale
I should add......the RV dealer where we purchased our Silverback would have allowed us to advertise on their website as a Private Sale if necessary. They're a popular dealer in the area and have a rather large sales area (in-province and out)
2006 Dodge RAM 2500 TRX4 Cummins
2011 Cedar Creek Silverback 35K
just4u_cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #12

Not advice but I will share my story with you which might help.

First of all I live just across the stateline from you in the Deer Park WA area 15 miles north of Spokane.

Prior to being RV owners my wife and I had cabin type boats which we moored on Lake Coeur d’alene. When we decided to sell out boat (28 ft) we advertised it right before the boat show in February. This was prior to Craigslist so it was listed in the local paper and the local Exchange type free papers. In my ad I invited buyers to go the boat show and price compare to my boat. I had a couple of interested parties and one of them bought it. I agreed to store it (at home) until the marina opened in mid-April and then drove it to the lake and launched it for them. I feel that the ability for buyers to look at new boat prices vs my used boat at many thousands less worked in my favor.

One consideration for you, where your RV is stored is it possible for prospective buyers to look at it in the heated conditions? And, can you open the slides in storage? My boat was stored outside in my back yard but I was able to run my ceramic heater in the cockpit which made it warm enough for the buyers to take a comprehensive look at it. I did sell it with the agreement that should there be any problems with the motor or other systems upon launching the deal would be voided. They did pay me at purchase but I placed the funds in the bank for a possible refund which thankfully didn’t happen.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #13

After trying to sell my toy hauler through Craigslist and Fbook marketplace and having a bunch of people coming to look at it, all to realize they didn't have a big enough tow vehicle, I threw in the towel. Ended up trading in my 2014 Silverado 2500 Duramax and the toy hauler to a local auto dealer. I took a hit on the trailer, but the equity I had in the truck made up for it. The auto dealer sold the toy hauler to a local RV dealer, I actually delivered it there for them before picking up my new truck. Now I pass by the RV dealer and still see "Bertha" sitting there waiting to be loved. I miss her, but I don't miss the almost $900 a month I was spending between the truck and toy hauler.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #14

In my experience the best time to sell is when you have a buyer. List it now. Don’t wait. When we decided to sell our sailboat we got exactly one response to all of our advertising. The only ad that did any good at all was the For Sale sign on it. Took less than two weeks from attaching the sign to agreeing on the price. I got less than I wanted and he paid more than he wanted to. It was in the middle of the summer when sailing is awful here. There was zero wind, not even a breeze when he and I took it out for him to see it. But it fit his needs perfectly.
Good luck!
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #15

Sold our 2013 Big Country this past September after we picked up our new CC. Advertised it on Craigslist and FB Marketplace. I had many times over more calls from FB than CL but sold it after about 3 weeks to someone that saw it on CL. They drove down from Washington to here in Southern Oregon and gave us our asking price....we were lucky for sure. If you can hold out for that one buyer that wants what you have and ask a fair price for it. One of the keys is to make it more attractive and better cared for than others. Good luck!!!
jannjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannjim View Post
...One of the keys is to make it more attractive and better cared for than others...
Abso-daggum-lutely! Truer words were never spoken.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:20 PM   #17

They are not always easy to sell. I would test the waters now in the event someone wants to head south for the winter. I would advertise it separately with a truck available if need addition to the ad. Whatever you do don't sell the truck first. I had a difficult time selling my last couple trailers. They were spotless in and out, had lots of extras and were priced lower than anything on the market. Ended up trading out of them. It all depends on the market where you are. Look on some of the national websites and price it right. Plan on loosing money. That's just how it goes. Good luck.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #18

I would suggest starting to advertise late winter because people will want to be ready when the weather breaks. We have had extremely good success selling on craigslist.org. It is free advertising and you can post as much written description as you want (the more, the better). The site also allows 24 pictures. We have sold 3 boats, a MH, a slide-in, and other large items over the years. We have always been satisfied with the price realized and short time to find a buyer. Also note that craigslist ads are displayed in adjoining areas, including adjoining states, as-well.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:56 PM   #19

To figure out an asking price I went to RV trader and the NADA guide. Be sure you don't add options when going to NADA on items that are standard on your unit. It'll give you an idea for your area as far as trade-in and high/low retail. I would not wait to advertise as you never know when that one buyer will be out there.
jannjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannjim View Post
To figure out an asking price I went to RV trader and the NADA guide. Be sure you don't add options when going to NADA on items that are standard on your unit. It'll give you an idea for your area as far as trade-in and high/low retail. I would not wait to advertise as you never know when that one buyer will be out there.
That is true to a point. But, when going down the NADA list of what may be considered standard, each has a series of options that may affect the value. For instance, the awning size, generator size, type of appliances. Going through each of these will verify the value. Also, going through receipts for add-ons that were purchased in addition should be listed in the ad. These also add to the value.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote