Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #1

Better tire wear

We were told if we were to have a Joy Rider suspension rebound control &a sway restraint system installed rather then the stock leaf springs we would improve the wear on the tires - currently 5,000 to 10,000 miles. Anyone have any experience with this as I am skeptical.
Jmatlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

What kind of unit, tires, weight/load, type and distance (annual estimate) are you talking about?
As for suspension parts affecting tire wear, possible but di minimus. I suggest looking at axle allignment and proper inflation if wear is a factor.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:04 AM   #3

We have a 2012 Cedar Creek 36ckts that weighs almost 13,000 lbs. we have Goodyear load range G tires on there now and plan on replacing with the same. We bought the unit used so we have no idea how many miles are on the unit. We will probably put 5,000 miles annually so that might mean new tires every year (1,300) each year if the mileage ends up being true.
Jmatlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:46 AM   #4

Get a grip on tires. Motorcycle tires with special soft compounding for sticking to the road are good for a minimum of 8,000 miles in heavy riding conditions.
LT or ST tires are much harder compounds.
You will probably get a special thank you note from the tire companies!
Or: do you work for a tire company?!😈
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:17 PM   #5

I would think you can get more miles out of the Goodyear tires than 5000 miles, I am thinking five years on mine. These tires are not cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:24 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmatlas View Post
We have a 2012 Cedar Creek 36ckts that weighs almost 13,000 lbs. we have Goodyear load range G tires on there now and plan on replacing with the same. We bought the unit used so we have no idea how many miles are on the unit. We will probably put 5,000 miles annually so that might mean new tires every year (1,300) each year if the mileage ends up being true.
OK, I had a 2012 CC 36CKTS so I can tell you that your G614 Unisteel tires will, when properly inflated, give you about 50k miles of use. I travel 10-12k miles per year and when I sold my Creek after 2 years the tires looked very good (pic below). These are not ST tires so the conventional " Inflate to maximum cold tire pressure" does not apply. You must weigh the trailer loaded and use the table Goodyear provides. A good estimate for your unit w/o washer dryer is 90 lbs. That would include your DW's Amelda Marcos collection.

Edit - Here is a link to the table: http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	83092  
Old 07-16-2015, 07:00 PM   #7

You just saved the poster 8 sets of tires or say $10,000! He should buy you a beer ����
Once again, the value of EXPERIENCE SHARED!!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Many RV owners are confronted with the reality that their tires "age-out" before they wear-out.

If you only travel a few thousand miles a year maybe it just isn't worth the concern about wear.

Motorhomes may find that their tires need to be replaced at 7 to 10 years.
Trailer owners may discover that they will only get 3 to 5 years life before they need to replace their tires.

A major reason for this difference is that the tires on a motorhome rotate about a centerline that points to the center of the radius of the turn while trailers "drag" their tires around corners and the suspension design of multi-axle trailers just doesn't allow tires to travel and rotate arount the center of the turn. This imparts about 24% higher Interply Shear forces which tries to tear a tire impart.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
OK, I had a 2012 CC 36CKTS so I can tell you that your G614 Unisteel tires will, when properly inflated, give you about 50k miles of use. I travel 10-12k miles per year and when I sold my Creek after 2 years the tires looked very good (pic below). These are not ST tires so the conventional " Inflate to maximum cold tire pressure" does not apply. You must weigh the trailer loaded and use the table Goodyear provides. A good estimate for your unit w/o washer dryer is 90 lbs. That would include your DW's Amelda Marcos collection.

Edit - Here is a link to the table: http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf

I have Goodyear tires on camper and truck, it just happened that I am not really a Goodyear tire person but I wanted the Goodyear tires on the camper. On the Silverado it says on the door panel 60lb on front and 80lb on the rear, it does not say what brand, I think Bridgestone is what came on truck. On camper it says run 110lb on camper tires and that's what I run. I don't ever plan to put truck and camper on a scale, DOT will never weigh campers.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have Goodyear tires on camper and truck, it just happened that I am not really a Goodyear tire person but I wanted the Goodyear tires on the camper. On the Silverado it says on the door panel 60lb on front and 80lb on the rear, it does not say what brand, I think Bridgestone is what came on truck. On camper it says run 110lb on camper tires and that's what I run. I don't ever plan to put truck and camper on a scale, DOT will never weigh campers.

Tire certification stickers or Placards should tell you the size tire with Load Range plus the suggested inflation based on the vehicle companies estimate on your heaviest loading. I have never heard of tire brand or design being on the placard.

RE scale: While it's true that you may never be asked by DOT to run across a scale, it sure wouldn't hurt to at least get each individual axle weight. That way you get confirmation on your actual tire loading which along with the published Load & Inflation tables establishes the minimum required inflation. Running at least 10% above that inflation is many times good practice as you won't be chasing around looking for air when the pressure drops a few psi due to permeation and/or a drop in ambient temperature.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #11

I carry twin Honda's and a air pump plus TPMS and I check air with a digital gauge once a week, sometimes more often. I wanted the LT Goodyear tires on camper

Old 07-23-2015, 08:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post

Ducky

I am going to try something, I plan to deflate the tires some, tires get hot here in NC, so I am going to drop the pressure from 110psi In the trailer tires to maybe 95psi and see what happens. Would you drop the psi down in the truck tires ? What would the Ducky do? I plan to carry my generator and air pump. I have to get camper worked on at C/W and let them look at the shower and a slide awning.

Sometimes,it takes awhile for something to sink in for me

Old 07-24-2015, 06:28 PM   #13
Certified Curmudgeon

Ducky would say that he read post #9 and this is what came to mind:
http://youtu.be/xCc-RWIp7XU

Tags
tire