Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #1

Big stink

[B]Hi all

Big time problem when dumping! When we flush the black water tank a big stink comes into the bathroom, it also gets into the rest of the trailer. Have to air it out for quit awhile before it goes away, then it comes back during the next dump. I use two types of flushing, the internal flush and an external flush from the connector.
[B]It does a great Job! I think the vent is having no problem as its only during flushing. This has been going on for about three weeks, Any idea's?

RC
Utah Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:21 PM   #2

Two things off the top of my head...
(1) If you have a bathroom fan, make sure it is turned off.
(2) Make sure there is water in the bowl to keep the gases out.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:29 AM   #3

Hmmmm...... maybe you need to change your diet.....lol lol lol....but for real I agree with the above post too.....I thought maybe the wax ring was bad but I think if that was the case the toilet would be moving...
My Steelpony....2007 HD Ultra Classic...done up in a memorial to the 343 firefighters who died 9/11
Never Ever Forget....yes I was a Volunteer FF for 20 years........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #4
Site Team

Do you have black tank drain open when using internal flushing?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #5

I had the same issue when flushing the tank. I just posted this post last week on how I eliminated my problem. Really bad odor when flushing the tank. When flushing the tank air is displaced by the water and goes out the stack vent. In my case the area around the vent was not sealed so the gas just went back down into the RV.

Read this post. May not be your problem but something to check...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ed-114341.html

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:15 PM   #6
Old Member

You might try putting something under your sewer hose to create a "P" trap. This could be sewer gases coming from the park's sewer system, through your hose, tank and up through the roof vent.
Cool Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:26 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I had the same issue when flushing the tank. I just posted this post last week on how I eliminated my problem. Really bad odor when flushing the tank. When flushing the tank air is displaced by the water and goes out the stack vent...
Sorry to disagree, when water exits the black tank, air is DRAWN in thru the roof vent, not out. When you flush the stool, the water/debris goes into the tank and PUSHES air out the roof vent.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Sorry to disagree, when water exits the black tank, air is DRAWN in thru the roof vent, not out. When you flush the stool, the water/debris goes into the tank and PUSHES air out the roof vent.
I know the stink I had and the stink I now don't have... Depends on what "flush the tank' means. Maybe I should have been more specific.. When I back flush my tank I usually drain the black tank with black valve open. I then close the black tank valve while still flushing, thus putting water in the closed tank. Smell has to go out the stack being displaced by water.

I also don't know which way air goes from a sewer when the sewer hose is not completely full,of water.

Anyway, fixed my problem which was mainly caused by no seal around stack pipe..

Old 07-31-2016, 06:30 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I know the stink I had and the stink I now don't have... Depends on what "flush the tank' means. Maybe I should have been more specific.. When I back flush my tank I usually drain the black tank with black valve open. I then close the black tank valve while still flushing, thus putting water in the closed tank. Smell has to go out the stack being displaced by water.

I also don't know which way air goes from a sewer when the sewer hose is not completely full,of water.

Anyway, fixed my problem which was mainly caused by no seal around stack pipe..
If you add water to the tank, air goes out of the roof vent, if you let water out of the tank, air comes in thru the roof vent.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If you add water to the tank, air goes out of the roof vent, if you let water out of the tank, air comes in thru the roof vent.
That's what I said.. Glad we agree...

Old 07-31-2016, 06:56 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
That's what I said.. Glad we agree...
Just going by your post. "
Quote: Originally Posted by dalford View Post

I had the same issue when flushing the tank. I just posted this post last week on how I eliminated my problem. Really bad odor when flushing the tank. When flushing the tank air is displaced by the water and goes out the stack vent...
Sorry to disagree, when water exits the black tank, air is DRAWN in thru the roof vent, not out. When you flush the stool, the water/debris goes into the tank and PUSHES air out the roof vent."
Old 07-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #12

I guess you feel argument today, so be it... I quests you can also ignore my post #8 where I clarified how I flush the tank ...

Please Depends on what "flush the tank' means. Maybe I should have been more specific.. When I back flush my tank I usually drain the black tank with black valve open. I then close the black tank valve while still flushing, thus putting water in the closed tank. Smell has to go out the stack being displaced by water."

So be it...

Old 07-31-2016, 07:33 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Moving on, back to the OP's issue. Are you keeping water in your black tank at all times? As stated above, make sure the bathroom fan is off, water in toilet bowl and lid closed.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote