Old 10-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #11
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Odors could also come from black tank flush system......not a worry any longer here.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #12

Try a Different Chemical and see what happens, is your system one of those containers you hang on the wall then it releases just a little with everytime you step on the pedal? I add 4oz's for a 40 gal tank for treatment and in hot weather I will use double. The only way you can tell if the vent pipe is okay is to clean the tank. Then get a 5 gal bucket and pour 40 gals of water in the toilet and see if it comes out the top vent. If it comes out the vent then it's a venting problem. If not it's a chemical problem. Vent pipes are mostly mounted with a flange on top the tank. But who knows it is a FR. and anything could have happened at the factory. I would clean the tank real good before tring. a lot easier then dropping the bottom to check. Also Bob, what did you do that you said not a problem anymore? I also think OC uses the blue streak but also the geo method first.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #13
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Another thing.....how LONG does it take your tank to start stinking so badly? If it takes a week or more, the tank content has a longer time to get stinky on lesser amounts of content. I've also found that different foods on the menu sometimes provide an extra kick when emptying the black tank
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #14

Yes it is possible that the vent pipe sticks well into tank and renders vet useless , I had a Dutchman like that !
Old 10-10-2015, 12:17 PM   #15
Left Coast

Glen...... was just say'n that the black tank backflow/vent valve could also be a pos... mine started to leak water, so I did the OC repair....elimination of factory plastic valve and replaced with a brass one for a house with no vent capabilities as the tank roof vent works just fine.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #16

Maybe this...

Ultra-Fab Solar-Powered Plumbing Vent

Ultra-Fab Solar-Powered Plumbing Vent for Motor Homes - 7" Diameter x 3-3/4" Tall Ultra-Fab Products Enclosed Trailer Parts UF53-945001
Old 10-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #17

To answer your Q. Go up on the roof and remove the black tank vent Lid/cover,now use Someone else's tape measure and lower it into the bottom of the tank,chart,now raise tape until it hooks on the pipe edge,chart,now do the math! It is very common for vent pipes to NOT be in the proper location! Youroo!!
Old 10-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #18
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
To answer your Q. Go up on the roof and remove the black tank vent Lid/cover,now use Someone else's tape measure and lower it into the bottom of the tank,chart,now raise tape until it hooks on the pipe edge,chart,now do the math! It is very common for vent pipes to NOT be in the proper location! Youroo!!
Would'nt you need to know the depth of tank to know if vent pipe was below 'grade'.....( top of tank) ?
Old 10-11-2015, 06:49 PM   #19

The easy way is go up on the roof and take a hose up with you. Shoot water down the vent, should be able to hear it go in the tank or as long as the water don't come up to the top then the vent is ok. They can get wasp nests or some other bugs in them....
Old 10-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #20

How do you know it is only 25 gallons full?
Can you tell where the smell comes from? Reason I ask is you could have a bad/missing seal between the toilet and the flange. A way to test is to make sure there is water in the bowl and turn on the bathroom fan ( make sure other windows/doors are closed) to see if the odor gets bad above the toilet. Try this right after you clean or before 25? Gallons. Even after cleaning there is still a bad odor in the tank. Should be no smell but if there is I would remove toilet and check rubber gasket on bottom. Google your brand of toilet and you will find how to replace toilet and gasket..

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank