Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #1

Black tank drain valve

Went to dump today and pulled drain valve handle and nothing dumped and I know some people have had problems with the cables . What do I need to do to check and how do I get to the valves to check if the cable is even working the valve . Any help would help thanks
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #2

Had this problem last spring just before leaving Florida in our 2015 Silverback. I finally realized it was stuck in the open position (thankfully). I called Cedar Creek and was referred to Amish Family RV in Topeka, IN. I called in April and couldn't get in for nearly 3 months, but made the appointment. We live about an hour from Topeka. They fixed the problem, replacing all 3 cables.

I think the problem, and I've heard it here from others, when initially installed the cables are too long and this leaves room for cable issues. My black valve cable completely broke at the handle. I thought I'd try to remove some of the panels, but realized that I had no idea what I would be doing. Besides, Amish Family RV took care of some other issues while there. I know that they have a long wait for service and that might be too long to wait or too far away from you, but when repaired you should completely replace all the cables and they will need to be shorter. How much shorter, I don't know. Others may be able to help you there.
Parrothead Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:00 PM   #3

And OR the cable issue. Apparently the guy at FR/CC liked to smear the glue on everything when he installed the valves. I initially blamed it on the cable, but in fact it was NOT the cable at all its glue that had fouled up the black valve and keeping it from opening. They did replace the cable, but it was the valve and they replaced that.
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:16 AM   #4

I had the opposite issue, I went to dump and couldn't get the black tank to open. We had been in it for a week so it was really full. I called the dealer and they couldn't get it in for two weeks but if I'd drop it off they would try to work it in. I dropped it off and suggested that if it was left in the 90+ degree heat it might "self vent." They called the next day and said it was ready It turned out there was a loop in the cable that got water in it that caused the cable to corrode and stick.
crrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:27 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Hi Rider
Black tank drain valve

I have problems with both black and grey valves. When it's cold, the valves push open the door of the enclosure. I'm going in for service in respect to other issues and will have my dealer fix it. Hopefully, once in for all since I've had them deal with it in the past.
2020 - 162 Days and 5,359 Miles
2021 - 113 Days and 3,835 Miles
2022 - 35 Days and counting, and 3,372 Miles and counting
Hi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, drain, tank, valve