Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #1

Black tank valve on CC 36ckts

My black tank did nothing when I pulled the handle to dump at Goshen. I believe the cable is broken at the valve. What is the best way to access the valve on a 2016 CC 36ckts?
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #2

John, I wish I knew. Monitoring this as I imagine I'll also need to know one day.

Removing those belly pans is probably required, and that is a mess.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
My black tank did nothing when I pulled the handle to dump at Goshen. I believe the cable is broken at the valve. What is the best way to access the valve on a 2016 CC 36ckts?
Unfortunately, you will need to remove the black plastic panel from under the black tank/ handle area. Then remove/ relocate the insulation. You should be able to access the valves. The 3" valve is your black tank valve. I replaced mine with one with a solid wire cable. 4 bolts. If you haven't drained, be prepared to get very nasty.
dkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:47 PM   #4

I removed the panel and moved some insulation to find the valve(s). Turns out the valve was working properly. The problem was a sludge dam in the tank that I was able to loosen by spraying water up the outlet. All good now and I still smell like a rose. 😉
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C9209D9C-BB64-4B57-960D-3C00DB0A81CE.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	183879   Click image for larger version

Name:	B8F9109B-8D9A-4941-A0D4-77EE8F6FE93D.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	183880  
4WD SRW Diesel
Old 08-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #5

Good you got it fixed!

What a ****** job.

Note to self: use lots of water and cross fingers.

What kind of sprayer did you use? Makes me wonder if I should buy a sprayer, just in case.
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB B&W Continuum Hitch
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer4 View Post
Good you got it fixed!

What a ****** job.

Note to self: use lots of water and cross fingers.

What kind of sprayer did you use? Makes me wonder if I should buy a sprayer, just in case.
This sprayer.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...co+toilet+wand
4WD SRW Diesel
Old 08-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
I removed the panel and moved some insulation to find the valve(s). Turns out the valve was working properly. The problem was a sludge dam in the tank that I was able to loosen by spraying water up the outlet. All good now and I still smell like a rose. [emoji6]

Glad you were able to resolve the issue.
Valtera makes a see thru valve that allows you to see what is in the pipe. Also provides for reverse spray to the black tank. Have used one for 6 years.
( ever since my first RV that TAUGHT ME to buy the right equipment) [emoji90][emoji23][emoji106]
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:07 PM   #8

Glad you got it fixed. You have more 'guts' than me!

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 08-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #9

May I ask what you did to remove the plastic panel. Do you have to slide the others out first? Thanks.
tkd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #10

This relates to another post (non-CC) on how to wash out the tank.

I have a wand, and I've used it. But I was told it is not a good idea on the porcelain type 320 toilets. Plus, it is one bugger to use.......having to run a second hose, etc.

I apparently don't flush mine like anyone else! (imagine that!)... But here's what I do, and although it often takes more time than I want, it works. It won't work unless you have the type of black tank flush that CC has in the bay.

I take the blue coiled hose that came with the unit and connect it permanently to the black tank flush outlet. I never use it for anything else!!! I never disconnect it. If I ever need an outside shower, rare.....I take the hose off and put another hose on and use that.

Then I close the black tank valve and also the outside dump valve. I have the Valterra add-on T58 valve. Then I turn on the outside shower water, cold first. DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM THE UNIT FOR ANY REASON, DO NOT GET DISTRACTED. STAND THERE.

Knowing how long to let it run, filling the black tank, is a learned process. Obviously, some times longer than others. This obviates the issue of needing to dump to travel but the tank is not very full. In other words, I make it full.

Then while the outside shower water is still running, I pull the outside valve, and then valve handle in bay. WHOOSH. However, the odds of it all running out and emptying is remote. So I stand there and when it begins to trickle down, I close the tank valve in bay again, and let it fill up (somewhat) with water again. In time, I open the valve and more comes out (always).

If it is recalcitrant (I love that word....LOL), I will also turn on the HOT water and let it run with the cold. This increases water pressure to the tank flush mechanism and it adds warm water, which helps. I let that run a bit, then pull valve handle again.

Sometimes this takes 2-5 times to get most of it out.

When I finally see fairly clear water coming out, I shut off the outside shower water completely, and leave the valves open, and walk away and get other stuff ready to travel. I come back in a bit and when it's done trickling I shut it all and am ready to store tubes, etc.

Long to explain, but easy to do, and I can't get it anywhere close to empty any other way.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 08-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkd01 View Post
May I ask what you did to remove the plastic panel. Do you have to slide the others out first? Thanks.
No. This particular panel was first in its’ group. Just a few screws and they pop out. I did it myself but having a second helper would be easier.
4WD SRW Diesel
Old 09-16-2018, 05:39 PM   #12

I suspect I may have a dam issue also. I pull the black tank valve and nothing comes out until I pull the two gray valves. Very strange. Or maybe a vent issue.
I remove that belly cover once. Not fun. I had a stuck back valve. All I had to do was tap on the pipes and spray silicone lubricant on the cable. Work fine the.
Boatdude62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #13

Hi,

To the brave souls who have done this on a Silverback or similar CC rig, exactly where was the actual valve in relation to the axle? I can't tell very well from the photo.

If I have to get to mine at some time in the future, it would speed things up to not have to remove multiple panels.

Thanks.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:20 AM   #14
Ted-n-Gwen

In response to BandJ... on previous page, I use the outside shower hose as well to fill and flush the tank. Works great but yeah... don't get distracted. Someone told me that they put a bottle of Dawn dishwashing liquid in the tank with a couple of gallons of water before they travel. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like a good idea. Maybe that will help my level indicator. It always reads full.
tedstjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedstjohn View Post
In response to BandJ... on previous page, I use the outside shower hose as well to fill and flush the tank. Works great but yeah... don't get distracted. Someone told me that they put a bottle of Dawn dishwashing liquid in the tank with a couple of gallons of water before they travel. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like a good idea. Maybe that will help my level indicator. It always reads full.
My level is always full. In the past, I had bad black tank problems. Orvan replaced it with a new one. Brand new, totally empty. Got to next campground, flushed once, and sensors read 4 out of 4!!!! LOL

I use Calgon every so often, and always travel with SOME water in black tank. I use RV Digest It and sometimes RidX liquid for RV, and a scent pod, and any other dang thing I think might help. It takes me a while to dump black tank but it gets done, no problems.

Yeah, do NOT GET DISTRACTED.....but the point of having the outside shower hose connected to black flush is that you can always add water to black tank......don't have to wait till it's full normally. But it can cause issues.....I've got it down pat, but it took a while.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 10-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedstjohn View Post
No need to use an entire bottle of Dawn! About a quarter to a half cup is good. You don't want black soapsuds coming out your roof vent!

After many, many years of camping, this method for black tanks works out very well for me. Before starting a trip, I make sure I have about 5 gal or so of water in the black tank. I add a good 1/4 cup of Dawn and about that much Pinesol cleaner. This mix sloshing around going down the road seems to keep my sensors pretty clean.

If I am hooked up to a water supply and sewer connection, we make sure to use plenty of water with each flush. I try hard to never check out of a campground on a Sunday if they only have a dump station for everyone. Not sitting in that stinky line!! Would rather stay another day or two.

When I dump at a dump station, I use the water supply there to rinse through my "black tank rinse connection". I carry a green color hose that I only use for this purpose. Sometimes the end has been cut off the dump station hose or it's all buggered up and won't screw on to my connection so I have my own. I also use this green hose at my campsite if I have water and sewer. I have a clear 45 degree outlet so I can see what is coming out my main dump valve.

I have realized that when you dump your black tank that more liquid comes out until it is down around half full and then as it gets lower, the solids flow out more. This is just due to the way the water flows across the bottom as the water level lowers. So when it empties out I close the flush valve and open the water supply to the rinse. By experience I know it takes 4 or 5 minutes, depending on available pressure, to get the tank up to 1/4 or 1/2 full. No need to fill it all the way up. Then dump again. I sometimes repeat this process 5 or 6 times. Until only clear water is coming out. Then I put another 5-10 gallons of water in with my Dawn and Pinesol and head down the road. The soapy solution seems to keep my valves lubricated too.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank, valve