Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2017, 06:40 PM   #1

Black water indicator lights

Does anyone know what would cause my black water indicator to show 2/3 and 1/3 full when it's empty? I was stuck on 2/3 and I secured all power to the unit including the battery cutoff switch and when I reapplied power and pushed the button the 2/3 lit and changed to 1/3 no it's back on 2/3. I know the only thing in the tank is the small bottle of tank smell good and about 1 gallon of water. The unit is level. Is there a float in the tank that could be stuck? Thanks in advance.
kimau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:52 PM   #2

Those are inherent in not reporting correctly. Most all RV's have this problem. Some have tried the tank cleaner to clean the contacts others have tried putting ice in the tank with water and driving around. Not much else you can do to fix sometimes the contacts in the tank have trash adhere to them giving a false reading.
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the information!!!
Old 04-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

If you have the black water flush use it and and redo several times. I do this and mine will go to empty. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:05 PM   #5

Mine has not worked right from the first camper I ever brought.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #6

The false readings are usually caused by something sticking to one of the sensors. I imagine toilet paper is a common culprit. If I understand correctly, the sensors are little probes that protrude into the tank. I imagine the bottom sensor to be the ground and the 1/3, 2/3 and full sensors to be positive. In any case, there has to be a connection between the bottom and one above it to show a reading other than empty... and wet piece of toilet paper caught on a higher sensor and also touching the bottom one could do that.

We are big fans of The Geo Method. We have used it for years and our sensors continue to behave as expected.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #7

Don't worry about it, they all so it. We have been on the road for fouteen years, two adults. I can go for about ten days before it gurgles when flushed, but I dump once a week.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #8

Thanks

Thanks for all the great replies. I love this site and the willingness of others to help out.

Safe travels, Gary
Old 05-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #9

We have had the same problem. Nothing seemed to work until we found this stuff: Welcome to TankTechs where we solve holding tank problems, GUARANTEED!. It's and enzyme similar to what is used in septic systems. It's a little pricy but, it after two uses out black tank indicators work well. I've introduced it to some of my friends and they all like it. Give it a try.
Waldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #10

The sensors are full of crap .you need to flush you system very well each time .next time you travel try filling the waste tank 1/3rd full. The sloshing will help clean the buildup off.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #11

There is a great video on the RV Repair Club site for this problem.
Fill your toilet bowl at least 1/3 full between flushing. It's good to make sure that the user toilet paper is not dry when you flush. If you have a back flush hook up use it. We used to have this problem. Buy yourself a clear elbow for your drain hookup, so that you can see what's coming out. I hook up a grey hose from the city water to the back flush connection (using 1way valves on both ends to prevent possible contamination). I turn the water on when I pull the drain valve. When it appears, through the clear plastic elbow, to be running clean, I close the valve and fill black tank full, then drain it again.
That usually does the trick. Repeat if necessary.
I always add a fresh dose of destink and at least a gallon of water for the trip home, or next camp site. The ice trick does not work. There is a video on YouTube showing why.
Hope this helps.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
There is a great video on the RV Repair Club site for this problem.
Fill your toilet bowl at least 1/3 full between flushing. It's good to make sure that the user toilet paper is not dry when you flush. If you have a back flush hook up use it. We used to have this problem. Buy yourself a clear elbow for your drain hookup, so that you can see what's coming out. I hook up a grey hose from the city water to the back flush connection (using 1way valves on both ends to prevent possible contamination). I turn the water on when I pull the drain valve. When it appears, through the clear plastic elbow, to be running clean, I close the valve and fill black tank full, then drain it again.
That usually does the trick. Repeat if necessary.
I always add a fresh dose of destink and at least a gallon of water for the trip home, or next camp site. The ice trick does not work. There is a video on YouTube showing why.
Hope this helps.

We do the exact same thing and it works great!
Jokerbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:55 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

This is how I fixed my tank indicator problems permanently.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-16089.html
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #14
Global Nomad

I also have a Cedar Creek with the same problem on all my tanks. I tried different methods, including GEO, which did not work and was expensive. I now use Pure Power Blue (https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-V231...ure+Power+Blue). I repeatedly back flush black tank. Now, I can get black tank and bath to show empty, but not the kitchen. I use a mesh strainer in the kitchen sink which prevents a lot of food particles from going into the tank.

Nevertheless, after the first flush or first use of shower the tanks show 3/4 or full.

Now, when water does not drain out of the sink or shower, I know it is time to empty the tanks.

When the toilet begins to "burp", I know that tank is full. Don't worry, you will definitely know when it is burping.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #15

Haven't looked at mine in years. I usually just hold the toilet valve open and stick my arm down in there to see how full it is.....
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Haven't looked at mine in years. I usually just hold the toilet valve open and stick my arm down in there to see how full it is.....
Old 05-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
Nevertheless, after the first flush or first use of shower the tanks show 3/4 or full.

Now, when water does not drain out of the sink or shower, I know it is time to empty the tanks.

When the toilet begins to "burp", I know that tank is full. Don't worry, you will definitely know when it is burping.
Seems sad that you have an expensive rig like that and have to deal with a hassle that is so easy to fix.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:47 AM   #18
StepanFetchit

I've owned a Class C motor home, travel trailers, and 5th Wheels, and never had any of those piece of crap tank sensors work accurately for very long, if at all to begin with. So I just rely on common sense to know when to dump.
Rdeemat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, cat, light, water