Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #1

Brake lock on CC36sat

Two Years ago on our maiden trip to Tenn we had an issue with a brake hub locking up and twisting the hub off the axel shaft. Lippert came to our rescue and replaced both axels. We have no sinular issues until 4 days ago 15 miles from home on a 230 mile trip, I pulled up on some highway construction and waited on the pilot car with my foot resting gently on the brake petal. As I began my forward movement I noticed it pulling a little had and as I got down the road about a mile the rear hub on the drivers side was smoking.Stopped , and it was red hot.Backed the unit up and released the brake control completely and it freed up. It cooked the brake assembly. Called and reported to Lippert Yesteerday morning..haven"t herd a word from them back. Anyone else had these issues?
n2kars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

First of all, I wouldn't count on any help if it is a few years old. Second, don't understand this statement, "Backed the unit up and released the brake control completely and it freed up. "

Did you just back up a few feet, and things let go? If so, your brakes were so far out of adjustment that the magnet and cam went past "overtravel" and caused the lock up. When is the last time you packed the bearings, or adjusted the brakes? How many miles? Just some thoughts, hope I'm wrong, and maybe they will come through.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm with windrider
I hope your not expecting them to warranty what ever your issue may be.

What have you done for maintenance on the axles?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #4

Backing up a few feet and releasing the setting to zero on tne brake control. Only 5000 mile on 5er, I pulled wide loads with electric brakes for 40 years and have never experienced anything like this.These brakes were factory adjusted 2 years ago when LIPPERT REPLACED THEM. Brake adjustment has nothing to do with wheel bearings maintance.

a
a
Old 06-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Agree, brake adjustment has nothing to with bearing maintenance, it's just most do it at the same time, while the wheel is off the ground.

Now back to original post, and forgive, just trying to understand. "brake hub locking up and twisting the hub off the axel shaft. Lippert came to our rescue and replaced both axels. " From this in post #1, to "These brakes were factory adjusted 2 years ago when LIPPERT REPLACED" in post #4. So you are saying that they somehow hauled or towed the trailer with a missing hub back to Lippert factory to replace the axles? Or, was it taken to the closet dealer. Can't imagine you towed it with a hub twisted off and a missing tire.

Now the question still remains, when was the last time the brakes were adjusted? Mileage on the camper doesn't matter. Please take no offense. Not trying to start anything, just wanting to help, but have to know some of the history.

Now one more question. Assuming you made it home, all is well. Have you hooked up to it and just went for a short tow? Have you tried to duplicate the event that caused the problem, holding foot on brake for a few minutes, then trying to drive off?

Again, please take no offense, the answer is not simple, and like a detective on a murder case, lot of questions, and few answers.

Oh, and I have read most every new post that comes on here for over 2 years, and don't remember anything like this. Also, I'm an ASE certified master auto tech, and part time RV tech, not that it makes me anybody, but I do have a little experience with RV brakes.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #6

Lippert sent a service truck and installed the axels on the road. I have not looked at the axels but the selling dealer inspected them last September when I had it in for some service.Yes I have pulled the unit to see if it can duplicate the problem and it didn't occur again. These brakes are not releasing as they should at unpredictable times. It has happened twice now within two years.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2kars View Post
Lippert sent a service truck and installed the axels on the road. I have not looked at the axels but the selling dealer inspected them last September when I had it in for some service.Yes I have pulled the unit to see if it can duplicate the problem and it didn't occur again. These brakes are not releasing as they should at unpredictable times. It has happened twice now within two years.
Here are a few attachments that might help with similar problems. For me, my final answer: Kodiak Hydraulic Disc Brakes
Kodiak Trailer Components - home
http://www.lci1.com/images/Flyers/LI...Axles/0133.pdf
http://www.lci1.com/images/Flyers/LI...e-break-in.pdf
http://www.lci1.com/images/Flyers/LI...aintenance.pdf
http://www.lci1.com/images/Flyers/Ow...earing-web.pdf

Tags
brakes