Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 11:22 AM   #1

Breakaway Lanyard on 2015 Silverback 29IK

Inadvertently yanked the breakaway cord out when in hitching. Got caught on item in bed of truck. Tried to push it back in but it doesn't seem to want to go in easy. Has this happened to anyone? Ho do I fix it and know that it still works? Thanks!
Darter576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darter576 View Post
Inadvertently yanked the breakaway cord out when in hitching. Got caught on item in bed of truck. Tried to push it back in but it doesn't seem to want to go in easy. Has this happened to anyone? Ho do I fix it and know that it still works? Thanks!
First thing is, if the pin is removed, then the trailer brakes are being constantly energized from the RV battery. You need to immediately disconnect the negative cable on your RV battery....as you will run the possibility of damaging the brake magnets or wires or such from a constant power...as well as running the battery down if you are not hooked to shore power......which then doubles the problem as the converter is recharging the battery and sending power to the brakes still if you are hooked to shore power.

Many times this constant energizing melts the breakaway switch internally itself....which may be what has happened already and the reason you can't get the pin reinstalled.

These switches aren't but about 20 bucks, and very easily to replace/splice the wires..... if yours is gone. Auto stores, Tractor Supply, and various other companies carry them.

I read where you said the pin is not going in easy, but is it going in all the way? How long was it pulled before you noticed it?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #3

I did not try to force it in but can try putting it back again. It pulled out last weekend so now I am concerned. I have had the battery disconnect turned off. Heading out to look at now. Wasn't sure if I had to have the dealer fix it or I could just push it back in myself.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #4

When I pulled mine as a test, it took quite a bit of force to get it back in. I pushed once, then pushed harder.
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB B&W Continuum Hitch
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:08 PM   #5
Site Team

We just had a similar thread here, and the members switch did melt.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tch-81457.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #6

Thanks racer4 and wmtire for your help and insight. Was able to get the pin pushed back in. The housing does not look melted or messed up. Will have to wait for better weather to hook up and check to see if all works well. I did have the battery disconnect pulled when it happened so hopefully no damage.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #7
GLCM Warrior

I'm not positive, but I think the emergency brake switch is wired directly to the battery & not through the battery disconnect.

At least I hope so, as we normally travel with the battery disconnect pulled as a way to remove power from the power awning circuitry. According to the manual, the awning is supposed to have an auto disconnect whenever the 7-pin connector is plugged in but the dealer said they don't install that anymore & to just pull the battery disconnect or the fuse for the awning.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:19 PM   #8

Won't be the last time this happens!
Trust me on that !! I have always been very fortunate, no issue...re plug and go!! 😀
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #9

The brakeaway is wired right to the battery (orange wire) by way of a terminal strip then to the blue wire which powers the brakes.

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:20 PM   #10

Switch

Buy a new switch. Before installing it pull the pin and see how to reinsert it. There is a small retention device that must be released. Always check break away cable for turning clearance during hookup.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty59 View Post
I'm not positive, but I think the emergency brake switch is wired directly to the battery & not through the battery disconnect.

At least I hope so, as we normally travel with the battery disconnect pulled as a way to remove power from the power awning circuitry. According to the manual, the awning is supposed to have an auto disconnect whenever the 7-pin connector is plugged in but the dealer said they don't install that anymore & to just pull the battery disconnect or the fuse for the awning.

Why do you dis connect the awning?
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darter576 View Post
Thanks racer4 and wmtire for your help and insight. Was able to get the pin pushed back in. The housing does not look melted or messed up. Will have to wait for better weather to hook up and check to see if all works well. I did have the battery disconnect pulled when it happened so hopefully no damage.
I will go mind to check the brakes, and it worked quite well. My trailer tires slid nice on the grass, LOL! When I was reinstalling the pin it took quite a bit of pressure. This is what you want, you don't want it so loose that it might fall out accidentally. It is designed to take the pressure of your trailer disconnecting from your tow vehicle. You don't want to lose so the vibration going down the road would cause it to come out.

It's easy enough to check and make sure everything is still working right. Hook up your trailer and take it down the driveway a little bit. Watch the trailer will make sure they turn. Then pull the pin out and try to move the trailer. Watch the wheels, they should not turn.

If everything works fine put it back together and don't worry about it.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:49 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
I will go mind to check the brakes, and it worked quite well. My trailer tires slid nice on the grass, LOL! When I was reinstalling the pin it took quite a bit of pressure. This is what you want, you don't want it so loose that it might fall out accidentally. It is designed to take the pressure of your trailer disconnecting from your tow vehicle. You don't want to lose so the vibration going down the road would cause it to come out.

It's easy enough to check and make sure everything is still working right. Hook up your trailer and take it down the driveway a little bit. Watch the trailer will make sure they turn. Then pull the pin out and try to move the trailer. Watch the wheels, they should not turn.

If everything works fine put it back together and don't worry about it.

Jim
If anyone does check the emergency breakaway switch, please remember to disconnect the 7 pin from your tow vehicle first. We have had several discussions on this, and depending on what brake controller you have, it can be damaged from the 12 volts from your trailer battery backfeeding the brake controller in your tow vehicle.

Here is a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller pdf. You can read # 3 under "Important Facts to Remember" that states to unhook trailer plug from tow vehicle before testing breakaway or you may destroy the brake controller

http://www.tekonsha.com/support/installation/N9030.pdf

Old 06-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #14
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
Why do you dis connect the awning?
Just as a safety precaution I guess. Awning manufacturer thought it important at one time too as the awning manual states the awning should not work whenever the 7-pin connector is mated to the TV.

With power applied to the electric awning circuits while driving, a short circuit (perhaps due to vibration or water) could cause the awning to activate & possibly unfurl during travel. Of course, an awning lock would help prevent the awning from unfurling but then the awning motor would likely burn up.

For now, I just pull my battery disconnect & that disables the awning during travel but it also makes running the fridge a no-go. Figure when I need to run the fridge while traveling I will pull the fuse for the awning...that is unless I decide to add a separate awning disconnect method beforehand.

Safe travels!
Old 06-06-2015, 06:49 PM   #15

Quote:

For now, I just pull my battery disconnect & that disables the awning during travel but it also makes running the fridge a no-go. Figure when I need to run the fridge while traveling I will pull the fuse for the awning...that is unless I decide to add a separate awning disconnect method beforehand.

Safe travels!
then your brakeaway is not powered and if your trailer becomes disconnected their is now way for it to stop and it might hit another car if it travels far

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 06-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #16
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
then your brakeaway is not powered and if your trailer becomes disconnected their is now way for it to stop and it might hit another car if it travels far
My battery disconnect is factory installed and it's my understanding that the break-away switch is supposed to be wired directly to the battery & doesn't go through the factory installed battery disconnect on my Wildcat.

I'll have to verify that the next time I do my functionality test of the break-away switch.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:35 PM   #17

My wildcat brakeaway is wired to the battery by way of a terminal strip. Disconnect the battery and the terminal strip is not powered and no brakeaway available

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 06-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #18
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
My wildcat brakeaway is wired to the battery by way of a terminal strip. Disconnect the battery and the terminal strip is not powered and no brakeaway available
Hmmm...my battery disconnect is mounted on the 'control center' inside the basement compartment & supposedly only disconnects everything on the inside of the 5'er from the battery. With the battery disconnect pulled everything on the outside connected to the battery still works...awning, landing gear, slides & hopefully the break-away switch.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:04 AM   #19

Quote:
My battery disconnect is factory installed and it's my understanding that the break-away switch is supposed to be wired directly to the battery & doesn't go through the factory installed battery disconnect on my Wildcat.

I'll have to verify that the next time I do my functionality test of the break-away switch.
If you are that concerned just pull the awning fuse. It should be easy to get to.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote