Old 07-24-2016, 07:53 PM   #1

Breaker for AC

Iv'e got a 2005 ceder creek 5ver and I had my breaker for the AC after running for a few hrs kick out a couple times this weekend, plus once the breaker for the park also kicked out for the site,

is there something i should be looking at as to why this happened or should the park be replacing there breaker?

Thanks.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #2

That's not a lot of info to go on. What size is the breaker in the park that's tripping? What size breaker are you tripping in your camper? What is the voltage at your main breaker with your air conditioner off? What is the voltage when the AC is on?
There are a number of things that can cause this. Low voltage will cause your electrical items to draw more current in order to consume the number of watts that they need to operate. This additional current could exceed the amp rating of the breaker. Low voltage is often a problem in the extremes of hot or cold weather because so many air conditioners or heaters are running and exceeding the capacity of the park electrical system.
Another issue is bad connections and this issue is compounded when larger amounts of current are drawn. A poor connection causes resistance which drops part of the voltage at that point. To compensate for the voltage drop, your camper pulls more current. More current heats the poor connection which increases the resistance and the voltage drop. If this condition is allowed to continue, it will eventually trip a breaker or burn up the poor connection. Arcing of the connection when you plug in your camper or disconnect it with appliances , heaters, etc turned on, causes those poor connections at the park power pole. After people do this hundreds of times, the receptacle is ruined and ripe for ruining someone's weekend.
If your camper power plug is hot and it feels loose in the park receptacle, I'd ask the park maintenance folks to check it out.
The combination of heat from a bad connection and the extra current can trip breakers.
A camper bounces and vibrates down the road and you could have loose connections in your breaker box. Unplug your camper, remove the cover from your breaker box and check the screws on your breakers to ensure they are all tight.
Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, let us know.

2012 CC 36CKTS Touring Edition
[SIZE=2]2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:32 PM   #3

thanks for the info, but i think i got it figured out. the AC runs great but the hot water kicked on i think that is when the breaker would trip.

next time i'll heat the water with propane.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:02 PM   #4

I run my hot water heater with the AC on all the time. I had that happen to me on my last trip. I was at a campground on 50amp and the breaker kept tripping off, it was a weak breaker at the box. We finally went to 30amp and propane hot water and no more problems that night. We left the next day and on the way back home we stopped at that campground again and they had put a new breaker in. This was like 3 weeks apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I run my hot water heater with the AC on all the time. I had that happen to me on my last trip. I was at a campground on 50amp and the breaker kept tripping off, it was a weak breaker at the box. We finally went to 30amp and propane hot water and no more problems that night. We left the next day and on the way back home we stopped at that campground again and they had put a new breaker in. This was like 3 weeks apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
yeah i was running on 30amps, and it was probably a thirty yr old breaker at the box.

Tags
breaker