Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #1

Broken leaf spring

I have a 2012 Silverback. We just came back from a camping trip and backed the trailer up the drive. I noticed that on the driver side the trailer tires seem to be a little bit farther apart the normal. When I climbed underneath the trailer I notice that the rear leaf spring was shifted and the axle was about 2 to 3 inches further back. Upon looking at it more I noticed that the eye bolt that holds all the leaf springs together was missing. I'm just glad it happened in my driveway. I didn't know what to do so I called Dexter and they were actually very good about the situation they sent me two new leaf springs free of charge to replace the two on the one side. Everything worked out but once again I'm glad it happened in my driveway and don't understand, I never had anything like that happen before especially on a fairly new trailer. I can't imagine what would have happened if it happened on the highway
Old 04-25-2016, 02:21 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Given the age of your unit I'd purchase two new ones for the other side as well.

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Given the age of your unit I'd purchase two new ones for the other side as well.

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
Yes, it would be unlikely that the new one would have the same arch as the old one so replacing both is just good planning.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:19 PM   #4
Old Member

I'd put the 2 on the same axle or like some suggest, change out the other 2 springs as well. Springs over time sag. If you put both springs on the same side, the trailer will probably sit higher on that one side While you are changing springs, you might as well install heavy duty shackles with bronze bushings. Those plastic bushings don't last very long.
Cool Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:30 AM   #5

I would check the equalizer while there. As others replace all of it. Dexter worked with me when I did a couple of years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:16 AM   #6

I am thinking of changing the other side leafs also in the future. I did replace the ez flex equalizers and installed heavy duty shackles on both sides. I just thought I would bring this topic up since a lot people neglect inspecting their suspension. I always check it before each trip but never thought of checking for a lose or missing eye bolts on the leaf springs.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
I am thinking of changing the other side leafs also in the future. I did replace the ez flex equalizers and installed heavy duty shackles on both sides. I just thought I would bring this topic up since a lot people neglect inspecting their suspension. I always check it before each trip but never thought of checking for a lose or missing eye bolts on the leaf springs.
Check the "U bolts" also! Youroo!!