Old 08-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
CCRVOC

Built in Slinky Tube too small

I thought it was Kool to have the slinky tube storage built in to the side of my new 36ckts. Until I used it the first time and found out that the tube is too short and not large enough (diameter). Then I looked behind the water station inside the basement and found out they could have a used a much longer tube ...
So I'm thinking of removing the factory installed Kool storage and adding this http://http://www.dwincorp.com/products/46/MAXI-TUBE.
I don't really want to add a carrier under the 5er for a slinky, but then again, I don't need an umbrella storage tube either

Have ya'll changed this out or did you adapt?

Reck

Old 08-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
NELA

I've got my eye on this:

RV Travel Trailer E Z Hose Carrier 46" Mount to Bumper | eBay

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

Lots of people on here are making storage boxes out of vinyl fence post covers, caps and a gutter for a tray. But, you did say that you don't want to add something on.

Does your camper have the rear fiberglass cap and doesn't have a bumper; instead it has the built-in sewer storage thing in the side of the camper? I think I saw one of these campers recently.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Lots of people on here are making storage boxes out of vinyl fence post covers, caps and a gutter for a tray. But, you did say that you don't want to add something on.

Does your camper have the rear fiberglass cap and doesn't have a bumper; instead it has the built-in sewer storage thing in the side of the camper? I think I saw one of these campers recently.
Yes, no bumper, and the storage tube is built in to the side of the camper.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

Which is the problem? The depth of the tube, diameter of the tube or size of the hatch door?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

Anyway, someone on rv.net cut a new opening outside of the hatch and replaced the innards - new hatch door and all.

Wish I had a direct link...
Old 08-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
Former Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Which is the problem? The depth of the tube, diameter of the tube or size of the hatch door?
It's both and more... The storage tube will only take a 10' tube with ends. Then the opening behind the hatch is too narrow for the bayonet slots. You can file the edge of the tube and get the ends in but it's a pain.
Then there is the tube "drainage" down across the water heater... Yuk + 1/2!
It's very difficult to clean up the mess.
Poor design.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
CCRVOC

Yes I agree
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 640w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
Fulltime family RVer

So, if you don't want to go to sewer tubes or something underneath, then I think your two options are:
1) just use Rubbermaid totes and grow them in the basement. I did this for a while.
2) remove and modify the whole shebang. You'll have to cut and install a larger door and go from there- big job, but it'll give you something nice to to with. Just make sure that you have the depth clearance that you need. When done, send pics into the MFR and don't be surprised if the idea is used for future models.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
CCRVOC

Yes, there is plenty of room in the "belly" for the length of a new maxi-tube. Sanitubes / Sewer Hose Carriers / MAXI-TUBE - DW Inc.
After I fix my water leak, and complete my DW's mod of the backsplash in the kitchen, I will look into this.
Thanks for your comments.

Reck