Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #1

Buying a 04 Cedar Creek 37CKQS

We are considering buying a 2004 37CKQS. We may need to spend some winter months in a cold climate. Is this a good choice for this kind of weather?

Thanks,
Kenny and Peggy
grumpyt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

If it has the cold wx package, heated tanks and dual pane windows it could be reasonably comfortable and function in sub-freezing temps. Also keep in mind that it is past its designed service life.

Edit: You might also consider some "skirting" to keep the cold wind out from under the belly.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #3

Designed service life? Thats a new one.
We own a 2005 thst does quite nicely in cold weather. Mind you, no matter how new or old RVs are just not as well insulated as a S&B home will be. Below about 40 you will use lots of heat, either electric heaters or propane furnaces. Add frozen water lines, frozen dump valves it can become very difficult for the uneducated RVer. We did it a couple years ago in the Columbia River gorge. 2 feet of blowing snow, lows around 10. I learned a lot. Mainly its cheaper to move to a warm climate. 150 dollar a month electric bills and 75 dollars a week propane became the norm.
CCs are among the best fivers on the market, but you will still be cold.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #4

With an older camper there are concerns. The obvious is you dont know the history of it since you havent had it since new. A solid PDI of the unit as it sits now will ease this concern.

The main question is how much experience do you have, not to be rude by any means but if you are a novice it might be harder to see what (if anything) is wrong with the unit. If you are experienced you will know what to look for.

I wouldn't totally write this one off but if you aren't experienced take someone with you.

For the direct question of cold weather, it will make it through the winter it just may cost you some money in heating. You will be running the heater and will probably use space heaters. See if it has a cold weather or climate package. This usually has tank heaters, maybe an insulation upgrade, add some skirting and you should be ok. You may need some other items to make it easier like a heated water intake hose, you may need to add heat tape to the pipes.

I am not sure what the other other poster meant by "service life", I am curious as to what they meant.....

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #5

I suspect he was trying to say that any RV over three years old was worn out! Not everybody has or is willing to part with the cash for a new RV. And some of us are satisfied just to have an RV.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:16 PM   #6

Cedar creek

I wouldn't want to be in cold climate in any Rv Cedar Creek certainly would not be an exception Get some warm sleeping clothes
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #7

Go to Florida below the frost line. Hunt for an RV park where utilities are included. $150 a month in heat and cool are not unreal. Get reservation right away.
James Briar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:09 AM   #8

If you are staying in one spot check out a 100gl tank. It's a lot cheaper that way. That way someone will keep it filled up for you

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #9

Being full timers in an 04, 34ft, CC, didn't notice it passing its Designed Service Life. Unit is exceptionaly well built, could use more insulation for the colder periods, but has serviced our needs very well, travels well to the South during the Winter Months and has not required much in the way of repairs over the 9 years or so that we have owned it. Our unit has heated tanks but only single pane windows.
Skirting and heated water intake line would be a necessity in temps below freezing especially in windy conditions.
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #10

We have an 03 30RLBS that has been a great 5er. I'm not sure that I buy into the comment of a unit that age being "beyond its serviceable life." In some ways, I think trailers of that era are better built than those today. But in regards to cold temps, if it gets brutal, you'll have to work to keep the cabin comfortable. We use electric heat most times and will kick the furnace on in the morning when first waking up if it's really cold and I'm in central Arkansas. As some have mentioned, for long term comfortability, you may be better off closer to the gulf during winter months.
philobeddoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #11
Love RVing

Service Life, LOL!!! We put 80,000 miles on an '06 CK in all kinds of weather conditions. Cold weather did cause lots of condensation due to single pane windows and less insulation than the 2013 CK Custom. Go for it if that's your budget.
burse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Briar View Post
Go to Florida below the frost line. Hunt for an RV park where utilities are included. $150 a month in heat and cool are not unreal. Get reservation right away.
How about some info on these places. Thanks
Old 11-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #13
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyt55 View Post
How about some info on these places. Thanks
That is quite a subject switch. It is also a wide question. It would be beneficial for you to narrow the scope of your inquiry with some specific details of the type of RV'ing you intend. Things that would be helpful are;
1. Did you buy the subject RV? There are many parks here in FL that have restrictions on type and age (over 10 yrs) that would disqualify that unit. (This has a lot to do with that planned obsolence (Service Life) : mentioned earlier)
2. What type of park are you looking for? Over 55? Resort? Active? Quiet?
Beach? ect.
3. $$$'s The further south the higher the cost is a general rule.
4. Length of stay. Over 6 months saves you 4% tax.
5. Public transportation importance? Some parks are in the boonies.
6. East Coast, West Coast, Pan Handle or Mickey Land (aka I-4 Corridor). There is a vast cultural difference in each area.

Just a suggestion: Consider opening a new thread with your poser + qualifiers.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
That is quite a subject switch. It is also a wide question. It would be beneficial for you to narrow the scope of your inquiry with some specific details of the type of RV'ing you intend. Things that would be helpful are;
1. Did you buy the subject RV? There are many parks here in FL that have restrictions on type and age (over 10 yrs) that would disqualify that unit. (This has a lot to do with that planned obsolence (Service Life) : mentioned earlier)
2. What type of park are you looking for? Over 55? Resort? Active? Quiet?
Beach? ect.
3. $$$'s The further south the higher the cost is a general rule.
4. Length of stay. Over 6 months saves you 4% tax.
5. Public transportation importance? Some parks are in the boonies.
6. East Coast, West Coast, Pan Handle or Mickey Land (aka I-4 Corridor). There is a vast cultural difference in each area.

Just a suggestion: Consider opening a new thread with your poser + qualifiers.
I'm sorry that I asked!
Old 11-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #15
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyt55 View Post
I'm sorry that I asked!

Tags
cedar creek