Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #1

Buying a Silverback 33IK 2015 good and bad information

We have been RV's for years and have looked over the unit numerous times. Who owns this model and year and what do you like and dislike about the model. It fills the wants for us in a new unit. We are not getting theatre seats as we like the rocker recliners and it does not have the residential refrig. Good or bad idea to have a residential refrig? I will pull it with a GMC 3/4 ton with a 3:73 rear end.
Pinebend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #2

Hi,

I have a 2014 33RL, and have thousands of miles and several months in it already, towing with a K-2500 Duramax.

We are mostly satisfied, although as I've mentioned in other posts, it seems to me that the factory could quiet the refrigerator fan before they ship these units. My dealer is working on that little problem; I pick it back up today, and we'll see if he's fixed it.

In any case I'm quite glad we have the regular refer. My travel patterns don't lend themselves to dealing with the kind of battery drain involved in having the residential refer. Plus, I start my refer up the day before we leave, while it's still in storage. There is no 120 volt power available there, and so I couldn't pre-cool in the way I do with propane and 12 volt power from the on-board battery. And while I could run my Honda generator to support the residential frig, it would be a hassle that I don't have with the propane unit. And if I'm not mistaken, if you opt for the residential unit, you lose the nice pantry and drawers that we find so useful.

Of course, others may find that my concerns are not particularly weighty. Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:24 AM   #3

Hi,

Let me add a few things.

The cathedral slides are simply outstanding, in terms of increasing the actual and apparent living space. We have not experienced any water problems because of the pitched roofline. We also like the interior feel of the domed roofline.

We are pretty satisfied with the fit and finish, although (as most here say) you have to expect a few odds and ends that need to be tuned up.

There are a few oddities in the way some of the electrical switches are arranged, but nothing that can't be overcome by developing some new habits, compared with our old unit. The water system has given us no problems, but I did remove the on-board filter.

I personally don't find the electric stab jacks in the back to be very effective in stabilizing the trailer, compared with the scissor jacks that I've had on my other fifth wheels.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Old 04-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #4

Thank you for replying. Do you mean the 6 point stabilizer hydraulic system or do you have another style stabilizer jack on the unit. Do you have additional jacks? why did you remove the water filter system?
Old 04-22-2015, 04:11 PM   #5

How is your fuel economy with the duramax and what year is it?
Old 04-22-2015, 04:19 PM   #6

Hi,

I am referring to the stock electric stab jacks at the rear of the unit, which just don't seem to solidify the unit the way scissor jacks did on my past trailers. To my eye, they have the key mounting point in too far, and thus they don't provide as good support as jacks that are anchored out on the frame.

I removed the filter out of an abundance of caution, after reading stories on this forum about seal or other leakage issues. I may have over-reacted, but i modified it so it mounts outside the trailer, removing the risk of potential water damage from a leak inside.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips
Old 04-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #7

Hi,

Its a 2009, and I predictably get 12 mpg towing, if I keep it under 60. (Last calculated going 2,000 miles down and back to the Gulf coast this winter) Unloaded, it averages about 18.

Rich Phillips
Old 04-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #8

We bought 2015 33ik silverback in March. We had 2003 cardinal before. Like the 6 point leveling system. We have res ref the door will not open all the way because of slide. ( being looked at on 4/28). Like the roominess and the cathedral roof is great over here in East Texas with all the pine trees. We pull it with 2008 2500 dodge ram. From Cleburn Tx to Texarkana Tx we averaged 14.2 so pretty good fuel economy.
MaryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #9

2016 RK with 2015 F250 diesel. 12.1 mpg over last 1,000 mile trip. Plenty of power for towing but added air bags.

Residential fridge (not the double door) so still have pantry on side. Comes with 1000 watt inverter but I use ice bottles to stabilize the temp while I tow. We'll see if that is adequate in summer.

No leaks on cathedral slide roof, actually drains better than flat roof.

Happy with quality, actually very happy so far.
Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #10

Bought the 33IK at the RV Show in January. Got a 2016. Standard 8 cu ft refer. Overall very happy with it - it is a beautiful unit. Only thing we spotted is the center island seems to have shifted rearward, allowing easier access to refer and pantry when slid in. This is an upgrade from a 2002 Jayco 272 FKS - what a difference! A few minor items (lifts on bed weren't installed) that we'll have taken care of soon. Dealer is swamped with deliveries. This weekend will be our shakedown. Pulling it with a Silverado 3500HD Duramax. My first diesel as well. Getting 16-18 mpg NOT towing. We'll see what we get towing. Good luck!
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:25 AM   #11
Certified Curmudgeon

No experience with that model however lots of experience with res and absorbtion fridges.
The answer to your question as to whether its a good or bad idea to get a res fridge lies with the type of camping you will do and habits of the campers. Without that specific information, any direct response would simply be a guess.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:23 PM   #12

silverback

richp funny you mention two of my issues. Noisy frig fan and odd electric switch placement. I bought a fan from amazon for around $10 and replaced the factory fan. Quiet now. Also had kitchen switches in the living area-- rediculous. Found a wireless remote with 2 fobs and now have 3 way switches at entrance and in kitchen. When we got our 2013 I had a long list of issues that were entirely workmanship. I have resolved all these myself and in doing so I have learned every system in the trailer and have found that basic trailer construction and features are very good for the price. If the factory would take care of the little things they would make a much better trailer.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:02 PM   #13

Pinebend,
We bought our 2015 33IK in February and have had it out twice for four nights each. I have the Westinghouse res. refrigerator and so far I like it. The freezer get to -5 deg. so it makes ice in ice cube trays pretty fast. And keeps the frozen food solid. As far as noise from the refrig I never hear it running. I have the 6 point stabilizer hydraulic system and to be honest it was one of the BIG selling points for the 33IK. To be able to push one button and have the RV level itself is the best thing. The one draw back is, my wife has bad knees and the steps outside and inside are hard for her to get up and down. I have ordered a 'Port-A-Step' and I hope they will make it easer for her to get in and out of the RV. Also there are no hand rail at the inside steps, so I made some. This last week my wife gave me more than one positive comment about the hand rail. I also added a towel rail to the back end of the island for a hand towel. The paneling is very thin on the island so I glued some blocks to the inside to hold the screws, very easy to do. I am pulling with a 2013 Dodge 3/4 Ton Ram with the 5.7 HEMI, I only get about 9 mpg but no problem with the power. The only other thing is the back-up camera will not work and I do not get a signal. Waste of money!
Gene85222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #14

2015 Silverback Owner

First let me tell you about my setup.
2015 Silverback 31 RK (rear kitchen) with double door refer, recliner rockers, 6 point auto level system, and king bed.
What my wife and I love about this unit is that the kitchen is in the rear, which actually gives you more "walk around" floor space, that it typically taken up by the island. We added the foam top to the king bed and now it is as comfortable as our home bed.
I tow this with a 2010 Ram 2500, 6.7 L diesel without any issues. Worth noting is that I live in northern Arizona which has an abundance of mountains, therefore I average about 12 mpg towing, and 22 without.
As others have said, the fan on the refer is noisy, but, can be corrected. The double doors make this ideal for longer ventures without adding the weight and power drain of the commercial unit.
What would I change?
Honestly, I am extremely pleased with the quality and design of this coach.
with your search!
AZMac
AZMac is offline   Reply With Quote